Prices In The Caribbean

rickcop44

Evening, everyone. The missus and I will be on Crown on February 22. The missus is a power shopper, but she's a little concerned about prices in light of the economy. Can anyone tell me if the merchants have lowered their prices at all in response to the economy? Specifically, I'm interested in St. Thomas and St. Maarten. Thanks!

Evening, everyone. The missus and I will be on Crown on February 22. The missus is a power shopper, but she's a little concerned about prices in light of the economy. Can anyone tell me if the merchants have lowered their prices at all in response to the economy? Specifically, I'm interested in St. Thomas and St. Maarten. Thanks!

Last visits there, the prices were the same as previous years.

There are very few bargains left in the Caribbean.

St Thomas is one of the most expensive places there.

Havensight pier is the most expensive place in St Thomas.

St Maarten doesn't have too much variety, but prices are a bit lower.

I also totally agree with Phillip. Most of my shopping, when I do shop (which isn't all that much) is done in St. Martin, St. Thomas has always seemed so much more expensive to me and there are no real deals there at all.

Save your dollars and wait until you reach St. Martin, especially if funds are limited. ;)

Smart man trying to figure out how his wife can still shop and he can save money. Wish my husband would subscribe to this theory ;)

I have found better deals at a Macy's One Day Sale or by shopping online. I have managed various types of retail stores over the past 25yrs. I am very price conscience and have not found any deals in the Caribbean that I can't find at home since 1991. The only exception being liquor and cigaretts. I don't smoke and TSA makes it impossible to carry liquids through airline security.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. The wife loves to shop and I love to haggle so I think we've got the bases covered. I've known for sometime that St. Maarten was slowly but surely overtaking St. Thomas as the shopping mecca of the Caribbean. You'd think St. Thomas would sit up and take notice and act accordingly. I think we'll save our money for St. Maarten.

I agree with all of the above posts. We were just off the Crown Feb. 1-7. I knew my prices for items I wanted. I picked up a large 14Kt slide at the pier in St. Maartin. The price was OK but not great but it was exactly what I wanted. Also got a smaller diamond slide at Majesty (across from Holland House on the main street). I really was able to barter and got a good price. Again, I knew my prices for the item at home. We also purchased items on Olde Street and when back and forth on the price several times. For Liquor we use the store right at the end of the pier. He remembers us and we have a shorter distance to lug it back. Rum was $7.50. Kalhua was $15. We were not flying so I looked like a mule with a party attitude!

We also bought booze in St. Thomas right at the dock area. We had a cat. planned and begged her to open early for us. She did and was very nice. Prices were almost the same. Maybe .50 higher on a few items. AH Riise had some items that the other store did not have.

Cig. were $12 in town in St. Maartin. $16-17 at the pier. He ordered in a whole bunch for us one time.

Archived