Is port side better

cruisun

We are sailing on the 2/20/09 Zaandam circle Hawaii. We have almost always booked port side cabins. I noticed on the 1/3/09 sailing on the Noordam that while in port the starboard side seemed to have nicer views and less noise.

For the Hawaii trip we would love to have sun on our balcony as much as possible. I know this depends on which direction we are sailing, which pier the ship docks at, time of day, etc. Any suggestions would be helpful from those who may have done this sailing. Does it matter regarding sun on the balcony, now that I think about it sailing from florida to the Caribbean on the Noordam the starboard side had sun, on the return the port side had the sun so I suppose on the Hawaii sailing it will be similar.

cruisun,

The answer is kind of "6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other".

Crossing to/from Hawaii, Sunny side Port there, Starboard back.

While in port it's anyone's guess, as it's up to the harbormaster where the ship docks (if it docks) and even which direction it points while it's moored.

Sorry I can't be of any more help, even though we've done this itinerary and ship. Coastal sailings are much easier to recommend ship sides on. :)

You'll have a wonderful time!

PS - Maybe pipedreams62 is suggesting that you look at a map of the exact route and decide what's most important to you while sailing around the islands?

I know the question is vague however your sarcasm is not appreciated:eek:

That wasn't sarcasm, Cruisun. It was simply another fine example of why we all love and appreciate having Pipedreams around to make us smile... or, as is often the case, break out in plain old "good for the soul" laughter!

:D:D:D

Pipedreams keeps me coming back for more! A genius in our midst.

Cruisun, we're booked for portside for our Circle Hawaii in over a year. As long as the planet doesn't wobble off its axle, I think port may be better. If it turns out that starboard is better, then throw on some clothes and find some space at the starboard rail. It's all good.

I meant axis, not axle. I know better.

BTW, does anyone know why Lucky Jack (the Captain of HMS Surprise) says "larboard" or "labboard" in "Master and Commander" instead of "starboard"? Is that an old version of starboard?

The "sarcasm" had me laughing out loud...

No offense to you though Cruisun as you raised a very reasonable point... Some others have been talking about this with regard to the trans atlantics. It would not be so nice to not have the sun on your balcony for 8 whole days!!!

:D:D:D

We are sailing on the 2/20/09 Zaandam circle Hawaii. We have almost always booked port side cabins. I noticed on the 1/3/09 sailing on the Noordam that while in port the starboard side seemed to have nicer views and less noise.

For the Hawaii trip we would love to have sun on our balcony as much as possible. I know this depends on which direction we are sailing, which pier the ship docks at, time of day, etc. Any suggestions would be helpful from those who may have done this sailing. Does it matter regarding sun on the balcony, now that I think about it sailing from florida to the Caribbean on the Noordam the starboard side had sun, on the return the port side had the sun so I suppose on the Hawaii sailing it will be similar.

My husband and I were on the port side of the Zaandam in January, and he spent lots of time out on the verandah. It seemed that it was warmer and there was more sun on the way to Hawaii, and it was chillier on the way back. He said there always seemed to be sun. What I noticed was that being on the port side, we couldn't see the volcano erruptions at 9:00 p.m. going around Hilo, because that was on the starboard side. Also, the gangways seemed to be on the starboard side, so we faced the water, when we were docked. I know that he totally enjoyed his verandah, and was out there for hours. Hope that helps!

Chris

Zaandam Jan 21 to Febr 5, 2009

Thank you all for your answers. Knowing which side will be in the sun on what part of the cruise is very helpful to us.

I do realize that pipedreams is very entertaining and that I may have taken his post the wrong way. Looking at the picture again - I GET IT.

So, we had booked an A guarantee and have been assigned a starboard side A cabin. We have now been offered an upsell to an S cabin for $799pp( first is was $1599, then $999, now $799 ). We have been in the S category before and the Sy category both on the Vista class, and both have generous square footage. I noticed on the Zaandam that the S is 150 square feet larger than the A. We are trying to decide if it is worth the extra money AND it would give us the option to switch to port side if we wanted to. So, what do those of you who have been on the Zaandam and or the Hawaii cruise suggest. Thanks again!:D

Thank you all for your answers. Knowing which side will be in the sun on what part of the cruise is very helpful to us.

I do realize that pipedreams is very entertaining and that I may have taken his post the wrong way. Looking at the picture again - I GET IT.

So, we had booked an A guarantee and have been assigned a starboard side A cabin. We have now been offered an upsell to an S cabin for $799pp( first is was $1599, then $999, now $799 ). We have been in the S category before and the Sy category both on the Vista class, and both have generous square footage. I noticed on the Zaandam that the S is 150 square feet larger than the A. We are trying to decide if it is worth the extra money AND it would give us the option to switch to port side if we wanted to. So, what do those of you who have been on the Zaandam and or the Hawaii cruise suggest. Thanks again!:D

You are going to have such a great time on this cruise! I guess you need to decide if you spend enough time in your room to justify to yourselves the extra $799 pp (so that would be an extra $1598?). I passed by those rooms quite frequently, while they were cleaning and they were open, and they looked so roomy. (We had the AA verandah on that deck.) And also passed by the Neptune lounge, which looked so inviting too. If you want to be totally spoiled and pampered, then this might be an opportunity for you. I really think only you can decide if you want to splurge, or keep waiting to see if they come up with another lower offer. Best wishes!

Chris

You are going to have such a great time on this cruise! I guess you need to decide if you spend enough time in your room to justify to yourselves the extra $799 pp (so that would be an extra $1598?). I passed by those rooms quite frequently, while they were cleaning and they were open, and they looked so roomy. (We had the AA verandah on that deck.) And also passed by the Neptune lounge, which looked so inviting too. If you want to be totally spoiled and pampered, then this might be an opportunity for you. I really think only you can decide if you want to splurge, or keep waiting to see if they come up with another lower offer. Best wishes!

Chris

So you were happy with the AA, and our A is the same size. We spent the extra money for the A guarantee hoping for an upgrade. We paid $3600PP for the A. As much as I love the suites it is hard to justify the $1600 additional expense. In the future I think I will go back to booking a specific cabin and try to get over this suite obsession. If I remember correctly we could have saved $400pp if we booked an AA.

So you were happy with the AA, and our A is the same size. We spent the extra money for the A guarantee hoping for an upgrade. We paid $3600PP for the A. As much as I love the suites it is hard to justify the $1600 additional expense. In the future I think I will go back to booking a specific cabin and try to get over this suite obsession. If I remember correctly we could have saved $400pp if we booked an AA.

Well, "someone" will get to stay in those rooms, so maybe the price will still come down. Maybe your cruise will be like ours, where the lower cabins get booked, and then people above will get "surprised." After the cruise was over, and I was sitting in the airport waiting for our flight home, I was talking to an elderly couple who booked an outside cabin and kept getting offers for a verandah, for additional money. They considered it, but said no. Then when they got to the ship, they were pleasantly surprised to find out they had an AA verandah, that was just 2 doors down from us. They paid way less than we did, but I was so very happy for them and their good luck. Have a great trip!

Chris

We did this ship/cruise last year.

We only had an outside, and didn't really spend enough time in the stateroom that it was an issue - even being in there 15 days.

As for me, if you've been in the size stateroom you've already got, think about that and having and extra $320 to blow in each port compared to a larger, nicer stateroom. All of a sudden those Helicopter tours don't seem so extravagant!

If it were us, I know which we'd choose! ;)

GENERAL ORDER

UNITED STATES NAVY DEPARTMENT,

Washington, February 18, 1846

It having been represented to the Department, that confusion arises from the use of the words "Larboard" and "Starboard," in consequence of the similiarity of sound, the word "Port" is hereafter to be substituted for "Larboard."

GEORGE BANCROFT

Interesting - "You learn something new every day." :)

Penelope, thanks so much for the answer to "Larboard." That Naval History website looks like a great reference, and I must resist the temptation to explore it right now, when I'm at work.

Have a good weekend.

Mrs Muir

Archived