Getting from ship to St. John - confused!

CruiseNut7

Okay, I feel really dense, but I have been researching for over an hour and want to be clear about the quickest way to get from the cruise ship (dock) to St. John.

We don't want to take the long ferry ride, so is this the best way and do I have the names of the locations correct?

1) take taxi to Red Hook to catch ferry to St. John (runs every hour)

2) ferry will get you to Cruz Bay, St. John

3) then get taxi to beach/location of choice

RIGHT? :confused:

We do NOT snorkel or dive, so hope we pick the right beach where we can get some sun and enjoy the view (maybe have some "refreshments" too). I see folks say Trunk Bay is best, then Cinnamon Bay .... any other suggestions for landlubbers?

"The Islander" - I did visit your web site and it is loaded with info.

Thank you for your help - we leave in a week! :D

Diane

Diane-
You have all the correct information. We did this three years ago and it was very easy. There will be lots of people going to Red Hook first thing in the morning so you will probably get put in a taxi van with a group. When we got to Red Hook there was no one in the ticket booth. This caused a bit of concern for us. However, eventually someone meandered over to sell tickets. Islanders do not "rush, rush" like we Americans do. We would be well advised to follow their lead and relax more! It will take about an hour and a half to get to the beach, even if you time things perfectly. The taxi ride is 15 minutes, then a wait for the ferry to load, 15-20 minutes on the ferry, then waiting for a cab van to fill up for the ride to the beach. Take your time and enjoy the experience.

Anyhoo, Cruz Bay is a tiny little village that looks like a movie set. There are tons of cabs waiting to meet the ferry and take you where you want to go. We took an island tour (breathtaking scenery) that lasted about an hour and then were dropped off at Trunk Bay. It is the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. We can't wait to return in January.

Have fun on your adventure to St. John. This was the best port experience we have had in four cruises.

It really is that easy, but yes, be very patient! The only thing to think about would be this. If your ship docks at Havensight you will be a couple miles from the main shopping area (although there is plenty at Havensight too) which is fine for your morning plans to go to St John. If you wish to shop in town after, the Charlotte Amalie ferry (longer) will take you right into the main town area and you can taxi back to Havensight after your shopping.
Rick

[font='VAG Rounded Th'][size=3]The above advice is perfect, here's a excerpt from our trip report earlier this year which included a visit to St John...a beautiful place we can't wait to get back to when we cruise next month![/size][/font]
[font='VAG Rounded Th'][size=3][/size][/font]
[font='VAG Rounded Th'][size=3][i]"Once off the ship we found a cab driver from friend-recommended East End Taxi Association which is based at the Red Hook Dock (340-775-6975) and told them we wanted to go to Red Hook where a ferry would take us to St John. We weren’t alone and the driver had no problem filling the cab. The ferry to St John ($5) took about 15 minutes where we got another cab and elected to go to Trunk Bay, a U.S. National Park ($4 admission) another 10 to 15 minutes away. I’d say total time from getting off the ship to the beach in St John probably 45 minutes. A lot has to do with timing though.[/i][/size][/font]

[font='VAG Rounded Th'][size=3][i]The ferry runs at certain times and being there at the right time, avoiding a wait is the key to making it a quick trip.[/i][/size][/font]

[font='VAG Rounded Th'][size=3][i]At the beach, chairs (kind of yucky) are available for rent ($7- probably more than they cost) as well as snorkel gear. Apparently this is a snorklers heaven because by noon there were no less than 50 people in the water doing it. [/i][/size][/font]

[font='VAG Rounded Th'][size=3][i]I can sure see why too[/i][/size][/font]

[font='VAG Rounded Th'][size=3][i]Trunk Bay is the most beautiful beach I have yet seen, and I was later told that other beaches on the island are nicer. [/i][/size][/font]

[font='VAG Rounded Th'][i][size=3]We spent most of the day there, opting to catch the 2:00 ferry back to St Thomas then a cab back to the ship. We did some shopping at the huge mall-like shopping area right on the pier then went back to the ship for a nap. It had been a long day, especially for Whitney who loves to sleep in. "[/size][/i][/font]

Thank you all for your input. I've heard nothing by rave reviews about St. John beaches and just wanted to see them.

We wondered if we should avoid all the travel getting there and just go to a beach in St. Thomas.

Appreciate your help -- only a few days until we sail! :)

Diane [url="http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSXXXXXX47US"][img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/5/5_1_124.gif[/img][/url]

[quote name='kfgarrow']

We took an island tour (breathtaking scenery) that lasted about an hour and then were dropped off at Trunk Bay. It is the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. We can't wait to return in January.
[/QUOTE]
Just wondering what island tour you took. Trying to get as much info as I can, before our trip in March.

[quote name='latrn220']Just wondering what island tour you took. Trying to get as much info as I can, before our trip in March.

As you exit the ferry in Cruz Bay there is a small parking area where the cab drivers congregate. The drivers will take you to the beach but will also try to sell an island tour to increase their profits. If you agree to the island tour, they will stick you in the back of their open air vehicle and try to recruit others to join the tour. The drivers on St. John have to go through some tour guide training so they do a good job of telling you about the features of their beautiful island. Since the island is small, the tour only takes about an hour or so and was well worth it if you are a first time visitor.

Have fun on St. John!

Here's our favorites of the North Road beaches of St. John:

Hawksnest - the first large easily accessible beach as you travel from Cruz Bay... only 5 minutes out. Wide, beautiful beach, lots of room. Exposed, so can get some waves. Parking right at beach.

Cinnamon - the only beach with facilities because it's at the campground. Narrow beach but sandy, shallow, and we loved it. And we loved the fresh water showers and changing rooms and the snack bar/store. Short walk from parking lot to beach. Parking fills up early. Closer to the other end of the road (farther from Cruz Bay.)

Maho - Shallow, calm waters. Not the best beach, but the best water for lazing. No facilities, and little parking. Park along the road and in pull-offs in the trees. This is the last beach before the road splits: One way goes to more remote beaches (good snorkeling, beaches not sandy), and the other way goes up the steep hill to the custard stand on the main mountain road.

:) We just got back from our cruise on the RC Mariner of the Seas and we went to St. John's last Wednesday. It is very easy to get over there from St. Thomas. Taxi's are all lined up at the port (It cost $8.00 pp)and just tell them you need to go to Red Hook (they start earlier in the am I believe 8:30 and again at 9:00 and every hour on the hour all day.I believe ferry was $3.00pp). They did wait a few minutes to fill the van and once at Red Hook we only waited 10 minutes or so to fill the ferry.
When arrive in Cruz Bay there are plenty of taxis again that will take you to any beach. I had also read alot about Trunk Bay and it was glorious. A lady in the van had been snorkeling there before and said it was amazing.
But unfortunately they had received alot of rain and it was extremely windy and the snorkeling was out because the sand was all churned up. We still had alot of fun with the waves being so strong we just played at the beach for a few hours. You can rent beach chairs and there is a snack bar that sells burgers, fries etc). I will definitely return some day and go back to try it again.

Archived