trying to decide between these two cruises!!! first timer

goduckskkj

trying to decide between these two cruises any advice? similar routes one is ncl ship other is a carnival, the ncl is a little more expensive....

is it worth the extra cash for a oceanview or balcony room?

7 Night Western Caribbean from $629

Brochure price $1,539. Save up to 59% off brochure price!

Ship Name:

Norwegian Pearl

Sailing Date(s): April 5, 12, 2009

Ports of Call: Departs From Miami, Florida visiting Roatan (Isla Roatan), Bay Islands, Honduras; Belize City, Belize; Cozumel, Mexico; Great Stirrup Cay (Cruiseline Private Island), Bahamas

Staterooms: Interior Oceanview Balcony Suite

Prices From: $629 $699 $979 $1,349

Up to $250 FREE Spending!

or

7 Night Exotic Western Caribbean from $539

Brochure price $1,669. Save up to 68% off brochure price!

expert review:

Ship Name:

Carnival Valor

Sailing Date(s): April 12, 19, 26, 2009

Ports of Call: Departs From Miami, Florida visiting George Town, Grand Cayman; Roatan (Isla Roatan), Bay Islands, Honduras; Belize City, Belize; Cozumel, Mexico

Staterooms: Interior Oceanview Balcony Suite

Prices From: $539 $659 $809 $1,129

Whether a balcony is worth the extra money is up to you. Some, myself included, always get a balcony. Others will tell you they are a waste of money.

Generally, we spend little time in the room except for sleeping.

We've had insides, outsides, balconies, and suites (1 time). We don't think a balcony is worth the extra $$$ for most cruises. However, for a cruise where we feel views might be important, such as Alaska, Panama Canal, we might opt for one.

I've sailed on the Valor twice. It's a nice ship and I preferred this western itinerary to her eastern route.

Have never sailed NCL, but have not heard great things about the line. Some people love it, but I've heard more negatives than positives.

When on the fence about something, I usually let my wallet decide. In this case, I'd opt for Valor.

It completely depends on your personality and lifestyle as to whether a balcony is worth it to you. One thing to keep in mind is that if you start out with a balcony, it may be really hard to go to an inside cabin without it feeling like a huge step down.

We aren't in the cabin much - sleeping, showering, changing clothes, etc. Other than that, we are out and about the ship or in port. If you are one to stay to yourself and away from other people, then a balcony might be a good choice. Otherwise, I'd try an inside for starters and then go from there for future cruises.

I haven't sailed Carnival, but I have sailed Norwegian and I loved it!

That being said, I think the itinerary on the Carnival Valor is better since I think Grand Cayman has more to offer than Great Stirrup Cay. Great Stirrup Cay is a private island and has limited activities (but then again, I'm not a "beach" person - if you enjoy lounging on the beach for a day then I guess it's a toss up).

Plus Carnival is cheaper :)

Either way, I don't think the balcony is necessary. For your first cruise, I'm guessing you will be spending a lot of time learning what the ship has to offer and spending all day in port, so I'd spend the money elsewhere. You can always take advantage of lounge chairs, dining tables, etc. in public areas outdoors on the ship if you want to sit and relax and enjoy the ocean air!

If you can afford it I would at least book an oceanview room. Interior rooms have no natural light so it is difficult to wake in the morning (or after a nap) because it is so dark.

I have sailed on the Carnival Victory (normal Western route) and had a balcony. We really enjoyed sitting out there in the morning to have breakfast, and since I was traveling with my sister and friend it was nice to have the extra space to spread out.

I would book with Carnival, but the final decision should be made with your preferences in mind.

Since both cruises have almost the same itinerary, I would say it depends on the ship. NCL has about 2300 passengers, many dining options (at a price, for the better food) and has good entertainment. I haven't been on Carnival but it has about 3100 passengers, which means it's a bigger ship. If price matters I would take Carnival, it will be cheaper option and a great first time cruise. But if price doesn't matter than I would go with NCL and all the different dining venues. For the cabin if you want a basic room and don't care about natural light than a inside cabin would be fine. A balcony for your first cruise is also a great option too, this way you can enjoy your own area to relax and the rooms seem more spacious.

We have cruised with and without a balcony cabin and enjoyed the one without a balcony more. Even with the heavy curtains a lot of light still comes in the cabin. Being in an inside cabin was a lot better for allowing us to sleep in. Afterall, isn't that what a vacation is all about? Sleeping in and relaxing.

When we did have a balcony even on the at sea days we spent no more than 30 minutes a day out on the balcony. Most of our time was spent by the pool or involved in different activities.

I haven't sailed on either of those ships but I have cruised on both lines before and I would pick Carnival over NCL. I am not a fan of NCL at all but to each his own and I'm sure you will enjoy either cruise and your vacation.

To balcony...or not to balcony....it is a tough question and it does depend on your personal likes and dislikes. I have also sailed in everything from an inside cabin to literally the largest suite on the ship. For me the balcony is worth the extra money and I won't cruise anymore unless I can have one. But I enjoy heading out there for a nightcap before going to bed each night and waking up in the morning and stepping out for the fresh air and ocean breeze. Yes, I also like to sleep with the verandah door open so you can hear the ocean against the ship. But that's me. If money is tight then I would probably skip the balcony and have those funds to spend in the ports.

A lot people start off on Carnival and get hooked to Cruising...We had a balcony on our first Cruise and never had one since...only because sometimes it's so expensive in some cases the balcony is twice the price of an inside..but if you get a good deal on the balcony why not treat yourself?

Archived