swimming in St Johns new brunswick and nova scotia

NJBride

Hi--we will be cruising to St Johns New Brunswick and Nova Scotia in July. Does anyone know if there are any beaches to go swimming while we are there since it is summer or are the waters too rough? I have been there before but in October. Thanks for all your help!! :)

I can't really help you with Halifax, but I'm from Saint John originally and could point you in a few directions there.

When you get off the ship in Saint John, you'll be in the uptown area... which is mostly offices and shops - so there won't be anything you can do right at the port.

I don't know what they offer for excursions to beaches, if any... and I don't know how long you are in port, but here's some of what Saint John has to offer:

Rockwood park (and Fisher Lakes)

http://www.tourismsaintjohn.com/files/fuse.cfm?section=20&screen=208

Irving Nature park (there's another beach called Saints Rest on the way to the nature park) - these would be swimming in the Bay of Fundy

http://www.tourismsaintjohn.com/files/fuse.cfm?section=20&screen=209

Mispec beach

http://www.tourismsaintjohn.com/files/fuse.cfm?section=20&screen=210

New river beach

http://www.tourismsaintjohn.com/files/fuse.cfm?section=20&screen=211

As well as...

Dominion Park (on the St. John River, west)

Tucker Park (on the Kennebecasis River, north)

Lakewood Beach (Little River Reservoir - Lock Lomond Road - east)

For the most part, there wouldn't be any bars or places to eat at most of these beaches. Some of them wouldn't have any kind of facilities at all, so I guess it depends on what you are looking for exactly.

If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to help.

Cheers!

PS: St. John's in in Newfoundland and Saint John is in New Brunswick :)

Hi--we will be cruising to St Johns New Brunswick and Nova Scotia in July. Does anyone know if there are any beaches to go swimming while we are there since it is summer or are the waters too rough? I have been there before but in October. Thanks for all your help!! :)

I can't really help you with Halifax, but I'm from Saint John originally and could point you in a few directions there.

When you get off the ship in Saint John, you'll be in the uptown area... which is mostly offices and shops - so there won't be anything you can do right at the port.

I don't know what they offer for excursions to beaches, if any... and I don't know how long you are in port, but here's some of what Saint John has to offer:

Rockwood park (and Fisher Lakes)

http://www.tourismsaintjohn.com/files/fuse.cfm?section=20&screen=208

Irving Nature park (there's another beach called Saints Rest on the way to the nature park) - these would be swimming in the Bay of Fundy

http://www.tourismsaintjohn.com/files/fuse.cfm?section=20&screen=209

Mispec beach

http://www.tourismsaintjohn.com/files/fuse.cfm?section=20&screen=210

New river beach

http://www.tourismsaintjohn.com/files/fuse.cfm?section=20&screen=211

As well as...

Dominion Park (on the St. John River, west)

Tucker Park (on the Kennebecasis River, north)

Lakewood Beach (Little River Reservoir - Lock Lomond Road - east)

For the most part, there wouldn't be any bars or places to eat at most of these beaches. Some of them wouldn't have any kind of facilities at all, so I guess it depends on what you are looking for exactly.

If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to help.

Cheers!

Thank you so much!!!!

I understand both New Brunswickers and Newfies are quite fussy on this point: SAINT John NB vs St. John's NL.;)

In both places, the water is c-c-c-c-cold. But both very pleasant to visit.

Yep, we New Brunswickers are... :)

I understand both New Brunswickers and Newfies are quite fussy on this point: SAINT John NB vs St. John's NL.;)

In both places, the water is c-c-c-c-cold. But both very pleasant to visit.

If you want warm water and a fun time - visit the Canada Games Aquatic Centre a few blocks from ship - olympic size pool, 2 whirlpools, 2 leisure pools with island, waterslide, tarzan rope, diving boards/platform, kiddie pool, steam room and sauna.

I never even thought to mention that one... good call Acey :)

If you want warm water and a fun time - visit the Canada Games Aquatic Centre a few blocks from ship - olympic size pool, 2 whirlpools, 2 leisure pools with island, waterslide, tarzan rope, diving boards/platform, kiddie pool, steam room and sauna.

First a geography lesson----you will be in Saint John, New Brunswick-----St. John's is in Newfoundland!!!:D That is a very common mixup.

There is a nice beach at the lake in Rockwood Park which would be about a 10 minute taxi ride from downtown. The water is warm, there is a concession stand and washrooms. There is also a nice playground nearby if you have children with you.

There is also Mispec Beach about 15 minutes from the port but nobody in their right mind swims in the Bay of Fundy. You don't know the meaning of the word "cold" until you dip your toe in the water-----and believe me you won't be dipping anything else:eek: Rough water would be the least of your worries.

If it is raining and you would like to swim there is the Aquatic Centre just across the street from Market Square---a short walk from either pier.

www.aquatics.nb.ca

There are also usually some beaches on lakes and rivers. I know that when I was in Fredericton we went to swim in the river. Maybe it's just the Canadian in me but I quite enjoy swimming on the beaches in Canada... especially in the summer when it's so hot outside and the water is so cool.

There are also usually some beaches on lakes and rivers. I know that when I was in Fredericton we went to swim in the river. Maybe it's just the Canadian in me but I quite enjoy swimming on the beaches in Canada... especially in the summer when it's so hot outside and the water is so cool.

There are a lot of great beaches on the St. John River system (We do abbreviate the saint when referring to the river;)) but for a cruise ship passenger it would involve renting a car and unless you know your way around, they would be hard to find---it's not as if there is any signage pointing to the beaches or anything---we just know where to find them. We spent many great years boating on the river and were just used to jumping overboard when it got too hot.---or we could find a beach you could only get to by water----nice.

The only place in the Maritimes where I would swim in sea water is on the north shore of PEI and that is because the water is much warmer because it is so sheltered------and those beaches!!!! The sand is so fine you can't hold it in your hands.

There are a lot of great beaches on the St. John River system (We do abbreviate the saint when referring to the river;)) but for a cruise ship passenger it would involve renting a car and unless you know your way around, they would be hard to find---it's not as if there is any signage pointing to the beaches or anything---we just know where to find them. We spent many great years boating on the river and were just used to jumping overboard when it got too hot.---or we could find a beach you could only get to by water----nice.

The only place in the Maritimes where I would swim in sea water is on the north shore of PEI and that is because the water is much warmer because it is so sheltered------and those beaches!!!! The sand is so fine you can't hold it in your hands.

Discounting the Baie de Chaleur? (Which oddly enough is mispelled on Google Maps). They definitely have nice beaches in PEI. We drove all the way out to Souris to see the singing sand beach as well. But I understand... these cruises are like sticking your pinky into the ocean of really seeing Canada.

We actually have a beach in Montreal. No, it's not in the St. Lawrence... it's actually a man made beach on Ile Notre Dame on Lac des Regales. I've linked the Google sat image, so you can see the beach.

Discounting the Baie de Chaleur? (Which oddly enough is mispelled on Google Maps). They definitely have nice beaches in PEI. We drove all the way out to Souris to see the singing sand beach as well. But I understand... these cruises are like sticking your pinky into the ocean of really seeing Canada.

We actually have a beach in Montreal. No, it's not in the St. Lawrence... it's actually a man made beach on Ile Notre Dame on Lac des Regales. I've linked the Google sat image, so you can see the beach.

Interesting to see that island. It was formed by the building of the St. Lambert Lock. My father was a military engineer who was on loan to the Seaway Authority the year they were raising the end of the Victoria Bridge to accommodate the St. Lambert Lock. We lived in St. Lambert and used to go swimming at the pool on Ile Sainte Helene, or St. Helen's Island as it was called back then---1956. I used to go down to the construction site with my father and I have a picture of me standing on the river bed------the water being held back by a temporary coffer dam. I can remember there used to be a dynamite blast every day at noon hour. We could feel it in the school.

Just to clarify - its Saint John, New Brunswick. St. John's is in Newfoundland. The two are confused a lot.

And St. John is in the Virgin Islands. There is also a St. John's in Antigua. Not to mention that there's St. Jean sur Richelieu, which in English is also St. John (on the Richelieu River) which is in Quebec... but I've never seen a cruise ship try to squeeze down the Richelieu... they have a hard enough time making it to Montreal. Plus umpteen other places that share the name.

And St. John is in the Virgin Islands. There is also a St. John's in Antigua. Not to mention that there's St. Jean sur Richelieu, which in English is also St. John (on the Richelieu River) which is in Quebec... but I've never seen a cruise ship try to squeeze down the Richelieu... they have a hard enough time making it to Montreal. Plus umpteen other places that share the name.

Even Air Canada pilots get it wrong - they announce we are on descent into St. John's International Airport - it's neither St. John's nor international - I quickly look out the window to make sure I can see we are actually over New Brunswick.

I guess you know it's not going to be like this...

LiquidCrystal.jpg

But it will look like this :D

1201364140_lockeport.jpg

This is the beach at Lockeport. Not sure how long you will be in port but this beach is about a a 2 - 2 1/2 hour drive from Halifax on the south shore of NS. It is a beautiful white sand beach called Crescent Beach.

This beach -Carter's Beach

imagefile-62-43890.JPG

Is only about 1 3/4 hours away in Liverpool

The South shore of NS has many lovely beaches and wonderful sites - well worth renting a car and going for a drive.

Even Air Canada pilots get it wrong - they announce we are on descent into St. John's International Airport - it's neither St. John's nor international - I quickly look out the window to make sure I can see we are actually over New Brunswick.

We've had those moment in airplanes as well.. with all the flights between Montreal and Toronto the pilots often get mixed up as to which of the two they are in. I was even on a flight that when we landed in Toronto they welcomed us to Jamaica... it was the next stop.. he was just a bit early in his announcement.

Archived