Hong Kong Taxis

liz99

I will be arriving by cruise ship in Hong Kong.

I will be taking a taxi to the airport. Do they accept US$ or credit cards?

If not, is there a currency exchange nearby?

I had no problem paying in US$. Just make sure to ask ahead of time whether the driver will accept US$ and how much it will cost. There should be plenty of taxis around just in case the first one would not accept US$.

If your cruise is using the Ocean Cruise Terminal, you will find banking services inside the vast terminal building - it's part of a network of inter-connected indoor shopping malls - where virtually all bank branches, including HSBC offer currency exchange services for USD, unless it's Saturday afternoon or Sunday. You can also find bank ATM's (also at the local 7-11 stores) to get HKD in varying amounts for your needs. Licensed "currency exchange shops" are everywhere & easy to spot with their signs and post their official exchange rates - and are open 7 days a week all over that area.

All of the above will give you a much better deal than giving USD to the taxi drivers even if they are willing to accept it.

Hong Kong has an excellent, world-class rapid mass transit system and the airport express is fast, efficient and on-time, on-schedule vs. the taxi ride of 45+ minutes trip from the cruise terminal.

Archived