Ephesus - what to do now?

How much time do you have in Ephesus now? Is your port Izmir or Kusadasi? Just off the top of my head I can think of quite a few things....

Ephesus ruins

Ephesus museum (in nearby Selcuk)

Sirince (small picturesque Turkish town)

Other ruins (a bit further drive than Ephesus): Didyma, Miletus, Priene

Temple of Artemis

St. Johns Basilica

Shopping in Ephesus (good prices but MUST bargain hard)

Experience a hammam (Turkish bath)

The port of Kusadasi is just lovely. I would do Ephesus (Don't miss the terrace houses-they are the best part) in the AM while it is cool and then have a leisurely day in Kusadasi. I really enjoyed just lounging by the pool while docked there. The city is makes a beautiful backdrop.

Any idea why they dropped Rhodes? Seems like a great port.

Rhodes has been dropped from all the Solstice 11-night E Med cruises for 2009 - something about the call being on a Monday when all the museums would be shut.

I think that's rubbish. My personal opinion is that the fact that the previous itinerary was Kusadasi - Rhodes - Athens, i.e. a considerable zig-zag, and that the change was made when oil prices were at their height and every cruise line under the sun was announcing fuel supplements, were far more significant factors in the decision. Kusadasi - [day at sea] - Athens is a much straighter line and therefore a shorter distance, and of course there's all that lovely extra on-board expenditure during the extra sea day.

I agree with another responder's comment, btw: Ephesus etc in the morning, beach (possibly Ladies Beach) in the afternoon, and a wander around Kusadasi in the evening. Although Turkey is 'islamic' in that its people are muslims, it is a secular state and places such as Kusadasi are very westernised: there are a lot of bars and restaurants catering to visitors.

We just returned from 27 days on the Med. 21 days were on the NCL Jade and included a day at Ephesus from the port of Izmir. We had a wonderful private tour for 12 that included the following sites: Virgin Mary House; Ephesus ruins tour plus Terrace Houses; Temple of Artemis site and view of St. John's basilica (outside only). We also had the option to get an authentic Turkish lunch (half our group opted to have it, the other half not), then a demonstration at a local ceramics shop and no-pressure shopping opportunity. Wonderful day for a very reasonable all-inclusive price with our wonderful private guide and driver.

We did a Carnival excursion from Izmir to Ephesus. Ephesus is an amazing place. Much better than Pompeii and not to be missed. The Terrace Houses were the best part and the whole experience was a cruise highlight. Just glad they did not cut Ephesus out!

If you are the adventuresome type, try a Hamam in Kusadasi!! This is the original Turkish Bath and will be something to talk about the rest of your life. You only want to do it with either your closest friends in all the world, or people you will never ever see again! ;);)

We had a wonderful time at the ADA SARAY HAMAMI arranged for us by our great guide Hülya Terzioðlu hulya462002@yahoo.com .

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/holyland.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Hello,

We were supposed to stop in Rhodes on the Solstice in May and now they made it an At SEA day instead and made our time in Ephesus longer. Any suggestions now what to do with all that time in Ephesus?

:(

Yes!

work with http://www.ephesusexcursions.com and ask for Hazan as your guide.

tell him/them what you are interested in (history in general, biblical history, etc.) and they can customize a great trip for you.

(they also have tours pre-done that you can choose from too).

We really REALLY enjoyed Ephesus & would go back in heartbeat to spend more time there.

we did:

Ephesus Museum/Archeological site

Terrace Houses (in the Archeological site - kind of a "museum in a museum" with it's own separate entrance fee. DO THIS! It's a MUST see!)

Mountain top villiage of Sirince (very unique!)

if we had more time we would have also liked to have seen:

Virgin Mary's House

St. Johns Basillica

Rug shopping / rug making demonstration

oh - and if you REALLLY have a lot of time, I hear that Pamukkale is really an amazing site!

You'll enjoy Ephesus - especially with a very knowledgeable guide with you.

Archived