Private Tour Cancellation Policy - what if the ship can't get into port?

I was about to fill in a registration form to confirm a booking for a private tour to Florence/Pisa (I've put together a group of 6 of us who have met here on CC). Here is a quote from the form - I would like your opinions on this extract (that I am expected to sign):

I understand your cancellation policy and I authorize (the tour company's name) to charge to my credit card, ONLY as specified in the undermentioned cancellation policy.

Cancellation Policy:

Cancellation notice must be received by us at least 15 days prior to arrival date. In case of LATE CANCELLATION (after the above mentioned time) or in case of NO SHOW, the cost of the reserved trip (e.g. transfer from airport to hotel, or one day tour) will be charged to your credit card.

Before I fill in the form, I have emailed to enquire about what happens if the ship cannot get into Livorno (I have a vague idea that I've read this can happen in poor weather). In the meantime, can anyone offer me an opinion on this policy, if the ship simply can't get in? Is this typical?

I think it's fair enough if we muck the tour company around and cancel, but I'm very concerned that we might have to pay in full if the ship can't get into Livorno, through no fault of our own. A tour I've booked for our Naples stop, doesn't have any clause like this...

Thanks!

Carol

I have contracted with many private tour companies in the past and have never seen a reputable tour company yet who would charge you should your ship be unable to make the port.

Did any of them have a clause like this in their paperwork? This is actually a reputable firm, I'm sure. But another I've booked in Naples doesn't have anything for me to sign, and they haven't taken my credit card number either. I don't mind the number being taken, but I'm naturally very anxious about being charged 550 Euros if the ship doesn't get into port because of the weather or something else.

Carol

I was concerned about that very thing. I have given my credit card number to hold tours in Rome and Livorno. The company we are using has a 1 week cancellation policy. I asked specifically if our ship cannot get into port, what happens. To quote from their reply, "If the ship does not arrive into the port, this would not have been the client's fault. However, the tour will be automatically re-scheduled once the boat is in the port, if you are still on board of course,"

I think they just want to protect against people who change their mind once they get to shore.

If you are more comfortable waiting for their reply to this issue, tell them you do not want to give your credit card until you can feel comfortable that you won't be charged if circumstances beyond your control prevent you from getting into port.

If they're reputable, this probably happens alot.

Did any of them have a clause like this in their paperwork? This is actually a reputable firm, I'm sure. But another I've booked in Naples doesn't have anything for me to sign, and they haven't taken my credit card number either. I don't mind the number being taken, but I'm naturally very anxious about being charged 550 Euros if the ship doesn't get into port because of the weather or something else.

Carol

In Italy I have used and booked with romeinlimo. While one part of their cancellation policy reads somewhat similarly, when you go to their website FAQ's or email them directly, they clearly state that a ship's inability to make the Port is not a fault of yours and no charge would be made. Like another poster said, it is important that these companies protect themselves from "no shows" who do not bother to cancel. But if it's the SHIP that's a no show, that's not your fault.

I'm confident that the tour company you booked with will respond to you similarly. If not, then your instinct not to do business with them is probably a valid one.

Martha

I would not sign this contract "just in case". I too don't mind giving my credit card as a guarantee (change of mind) but I have been on the ship that could not dock at Livorno as scheduled. When we finally did dock, it was too late for Florence tours!

I would get a waiver in writing or find another tour provider. At six people for a tour, that is a very expensive issue.

Bon Voyage

Archived