Alaska Cruisetour Advice

musicmatters

We are currently looking at Alaska cruisetours for the first of July....

Holland America has one with just 3 days on the ship and the rest a land tour and Princess with 7 days on ship and 4 days land tour. What is your opinion on which would be the best for our first trip to Alaska?

I'm a newbie and have just started to read through the threads - here's one that might give you some pointers: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=924851.

In some preliminary research, I believe for once in lifetime experience best to do combination land tour and cruise, in that order. And apparently the princess cruises have monopoly - which means less travel time btw land sites, etc.

I posted additional questions on same thread and hope others can help. Good luck and I'll be subscribing to this thread also.

PS - you might want to check out: Alaska By Cruise Ship, Anne Vipond, 6th edition. Just checked it out at library and very informative ;)

I booked with Princess for a cruise tour in May. It did come highly recommended both on this board and others I have spoken with. It was strongly recommended that we do the tour first then cruise. This way you are not packing and unpacking at the end of the trip. Princess has a great offer right now where you stay 1 night in Seattle, then fly from Seattle to Anchorage, 2 nights at Denali and 2 nights at Mckinley Princess lodge, a nature tour at Denali (you can see about upgrading to the Tundra Wilderness Tour) This is recommended by many on these boards, as is taking just a shuttle at Denali national Park. The cruise is 7 days, ending in Vancouver. They will then shuttle you back to Seattle to catch your flight home. I am looking forward to this trip, first time to Alaska and first time with Princess.

Travel time - which specific cruisetour did you select? I'm interested in the air package where they flew you roundtrip Seattle....we prefer starting in alaska, ending up in vancouver (to visit friends for few days).

My wife's girlfriend bugging for us to join them on just the 7 day cruise (they booked sapphire princess just now) but I prefer the cruisetour...

I also read elsewhere the nature tour is terrible and you must upgrade to tundra tour (???)

Holland America has one with just 3 days on the ship and the rest a land tour and Princess with 7 days on ship and 4 days land tour. What is your opinion on which would be the best for our first trip to Alaska?

The HAL cruise tour to the Yukon is the ONLY cruise tour I would ever recommend going on. On the other hand, you get somewhat shortchanged on your cruise, as you disembark in Skagway. The Princess cruise tour is the standard tour of a variation thereof. Just make sure you get enough time in Denali to do the TWT.

Wife and I are on the May 23 departure Princess Cruise tour - Arctic Explorer, 7 days land tour follwed by 7 days southbound cruise.

My parents did this trip about 10 years ago and loved it but it's our fist cruise and first time in Alaska. I really wanted to see as much of the interior as we could - thus the Arctic trip. Having a little buyer's remorse after reading comments here as many state the cruisetours are like cattle herding but we're booked and going forward. Not enough time to do the research to book everything ourselves so we plan to use the cruise tour to see what AK is all about and if we go back might then do it all on our own.

My aunt arranged an alaska trip for her and my mother, it was 3 days on the ship debarking in Skagway and then the rest was land tour. This was years ago and my mother hasn't stopped complaining about it. Too little cruise time, too much bus time.

If long periods of time on a bus don't drive you crazy, you probably would be fine with it. That's why there are so many options available, everyone's different.

We've got a deal (I think) that may just be too good to pass up...or is it?

Princess cruisetour includes overnight in seattle, flight to anchorage, bus to Mckinley Lodge (2 nights) then bus to Denali (2 nights; includes one full day on your own) then train to Whittier and a 7 night southbound cruise. Disembark in Vancouver and bus to Seattle. All of this with a balcony cabin for $1920 pp.

So our expenses would be r/t airfare from Seattle and meals during the land portion, as well as excursions. Still that's 12 nights plus the airfare from Seattle to Anchorage.

The dates work for us; so how does it sound?

Last year my sister and I took the Princess cruise tour that started in Fairbanks (2 nights) then by train to Denali (1 night), then train to McKinley (1 night), then bus to Kenai Princess Lodge (2 nights); then cruising from Whittier to Vancouver (7 nights). We stayed an extra night in Vancouver at the Westin Bayshore.

We loved the tour first (we sent one suitcase each on ahead to the ship and kept one with us and a carry-on). We brought food with us so we didn't have to purchase our meals out of hunger (only for fun). Each lodge got progressively more beautiful. Kenai being the very best of all. (We did not see or stay at the Copper River Lodge on this cruise tour, so I cannot comment about it.)

We had such a wonderful time that I convinced my husband and my other sister and her husband to cruise this summer. We are doing the same southbound cruise this time on the starboard side (side by side balcony rooms) and seeing the islands on the inside passage. We are also doing the three day pre-curise add-on. One night in Anchorage at the Captain Cook (looks good online...) and two nights at the Kenai Princess Lodge. Then we are wrapping the trip up with two nights at the Westin Bayshore in Vancouver. I wanted to see more of that beautiful city. We saw lots of humpback whales on excursions last year and bald eagles from the ship and on excursions. I am hoping this year to see Orcas out of Vancouver as well as the Buchart Gardens in Victoria.

The landscape was beautiful, the weather was great in July (it only rained in Fairbanks in the evening), our excursions were fantastic and our Baha deck balcony on the Diamond Princess was greatly used and appreciated. We made friends on the tour portion of the trip and enjoyed their company all the way through the cruise.

I highly recommend the tour portion if you have a choice. Fairbanks was nice (city-like) but Denali and McKinley were much more "lodge-like". And like I said, the Kenai Princess Lodge was by far the best. I am assuming that land accommodations used by other cruise lines are similar in flavor.

I also highly recommend taking some excursions if this is your first trip or if you don't think that you will be back in the near future. I live in a beautiful area but nothing compares to Alaska.

Have a wonderful time.

This will be our 2nd Alaska cruisetour w/Princess. Upgrade your tour to the Tundra Wilderness Tour - will worth it. My preference is to tour 1st then cruise. We are on the Coral Princess in 9/09. Enjoy yourself.

DJ127

You need to also be well aware of timing. It is a not the best choice to go southbound in May. It is FAR superior to go northbound and have Denali Park at the end of your travels. The road is not open but a few miles mid May and even though you may have the TWT on your itinerary, It is NOT running in that timeframe. Only will get in about 30 miles, third week. Farthest on the shuttle buses is Toklat. Eielson doesn't start until June 1. The cruisetours are cheap then for a reason, the Denali Park option, if you want access, is a poor choice.

Princess cruisetour includes overnight in seattle, flight to anchorage, bus to Mckinley Lodge (2 nights) then bus to Denali (2 nights; includes one full day on your own) then train to Whittier and a 7 night southbound cruise. Disembark in Vancouver and bus to Seattle. All of this with a balcony cabin for $1920 pp.

So our expenses would be r/t airfare from Seattle and meals during the land portion, as well as excursions. Still that's 12 nights plus the airfare from Seattle to Anchorage.

This is the tour I booked through my travel agent, we got a balcony however the cost was lower $500, but we are also travelling end of May. I thought it was a good deal. This is my first time with Princess. There are many deals out there right now. We booked a couple extra nights in Seattle as well.

Travel time - which specific cruisetour did you select? I'm interested in the air package where they flew you roundtrip Seattle....we prefer starting in alaska, ending up in vancouver (to visit friends for few days).

My wife's girlfriend bugging for us to join them on just the 7 day cruise (they booked sapphire princess just now) but I prefer the cruisetour...

I also read elsewhere the nature tour is terrible and you must upgrade to tundra tour (???)

We booked cruise tour UB5. It is not in the book, I believe this is a special package they have put together. Why don't you do the cruisetour and hookup with your wife's girfriend for the 7 day cruise part. This will give you some time to travel and see what you want as well. Yes I have read many times to update to the tundra tour. You can do this through Princess for an additional $60pp

Which specific tour was this - vessel, departure dates, etc. Athough I don't think we'll make it, would like to know for future reference. All the cruisetour packages I saw didn't include two full days in Denali and this is something we really wanted to do. If you don't want to post on-line, can email me at dtsm888@gmail.com.

Which specific tour was this - vessel, departure dates, etc. Athough I don't think we'll make it, would like to know for future reference. All the cruisetour packages I saw didn't include two full days in Denali and this is something we really wanted to do. If you don't want to post on-line, can email me at dtsm888@gmail.com.

The Diamond, Sapphire, Coral and Island Princess are all available with this tour. What they have done is added an extra night in Seattle and included the flight from Seattle to Anchorage. Dates start May 20th-Sep 9th. Starting dates for the Southbound on the Sapphire are: June 1, 15,.29, July 13, July 27, Aug 10, Aug 24th, and Sep 7th. Prices per person, May $1499, June $1799, July $2099, Aug $1799, Sep $1499. These are for Balcony...from what I have read when doing Alaska you want a balcony.

We booked cruise tour UB5. It is not in the book, I believe this is a special package they have put together. Why don't you do the cruisetour and hookup with your wife's girfriend for the 7 day cruise part. This will give you some time to travel and see what you want as well. Yes I have read many times to update to the tundra tour. You can do this through Princess for an additional $60pp

Did you book directly with Princess or use TA, etc? And Seattle r/t to where - east coast, etc.?

FWIW, I've read elsewhere if you have the time, do Denali Park's self-guided shuttle bus trip and go as far in as Kantishna - all day affair but supposedly well worth the effort.

Thanks

I booked through a TA. I noticed on the document I have that there is a promotion code RWA/RWB. Give this to your TA or to the Princess Cruise Representative, they should be able to tell you if this offer is still available. We are returning to the east coast. I am going to check into the Denali shuttle.

I booked through a TA. I noticed on the document I have that there is a promotion code RWA/RWB. Give this to your TA or to the Princess Cruise Representative, they should be able to tell you if this offer is still available. We are returning to the east coast. I am going to check into the Denali shuttle.

You can not get past Toklat in May, the Eielson Shuttle bus doesn't start until June 1. Wonder Lake June 8.

Here's the link to the shuttle bus: http://reservedenali.com/shuttles/index.cfm

TravelTime, we are also on UB5, 6914, starting 5/20. Is that the one you are on?:):)

Hii,

We booked the same UB5 tour out of Seattle. I booked through a TA online and saved a bit. I think it is a great price and we were able to get an upgrade to a BA (highest balcony) for no additonal charge. What is anyone doing for the tour portion? I think we are going to upgrade to the Wilderness tour as well.

Terry

It really depends on what your likes and dislikes are. If you content to see the ports and pay $$$$$ for excursions, the 7 day cruise is probably best. If you don't mind sitting and watching the scenery go by on a coach, making numerous stops to see Interior Alaska, then maybe the HAL will do for you.

I took HAL Yukon Wildnerness Cruisetour #1, leaving Vancouver to Tracy Arm, Juneau and debarking in Skagway. Up the WhitePass Yukon RR to Fraser, coach to Whitehorse, to Dawson City, River boat up the Yukon River to Eagle Alaska, back on the coach to Chicken, Tok and Fairbanks. Onto the Domed railcar to Denali and ending in Anchorage. We were 3 days on the ship and 8 days on land (covering over 1800 miles according to our Tour Director). I love coach trips, so I was totally thrilled with the trip. Tell me where to be and what time and I'll let them do the driving making sure I get where I'm supposed to be. I wanted to see interior Alaska and the Yukon. We liked Dawson City so much we are talking of going back and just staying there a week.

I also checked out Princess, but the prices weren't even close. The only tour Princess had going to Dawson City was 7 days on the ship and 8 days on land so the price was double what I got the HAL tour for.

Just check them all out. Start a graph chart with the cruiselines across the top, then put what's important to you down the side. As you find one that has what you want, put an "x" in the conjoining box. As you finish your research, one should emerge with more "x's" than the others. As I said, I knew I wanted to do Denali and the Yukon, so that helped me narrow my choices down.

Have fun planning then taking your trip to Alaska! It is an awesome frontier.

Last year my sister and I took the Princess cruise tour that started in Fairbanks (2 nights) then by train to Denali (1 night), then train to McKinley (1 night), then bus to Kenai Princess Lodge (2 nights); then cruising from Whittier to Vancouver (7 nights). We stayed an extra night in Vancouver at the Westin Bayshore.

We loved the tour first (we sent one suitcase each on ahead to the ship and kept one with us and a carry-on). We brought food with us so we didn't have to purchase our meals out of hunger (only for fun). Each lodge got progressively more beautiful. Kenai being the very best of all. (We did not see or stay at the Copper River Lodge on this cruise tour, so I cannot comment about it.)

We had such a wonderful time that I convinced my husband and my other sister and her husband to cruise this summer. We are doing the same southbound cruise this time on the starboard side (side by side balcony rooms) and seeing the islands on the inside passage. We are also doing the three day pre-curise add-on. One night in Anchorage at the Captain Cook (looks good online...) and two nights at the Kenai Princess Lodge. Then we are wrapping the trip up with two nights at the Westin Bayshore in Vancouver. I wanted to see more of that beautiful city. We saw lots of humpback whales on excursions last year and bald eagles from the ship and on excursions. I am hoping this year to see Orcas out of Vancouver as well as the Buchart Gardens in Victoria.

The landscape was beautiful, the weather was great in July (it only rained in Fairbanks in the evening), our excursions were fantastic and our Baha deck balcony on the Diamond Princess was greatly used and appreciated. We made friends on the tour portion of the trip and enjoyed their company all the way through the cruise.

I highly recommend the tour portion if you have a choice. Fairbanks was nice (city-like) but Denali and McKinley were much more "lodge-like". And like I said, the Kenai Princess Lodge was by far the best. I am assuming that land accommodations used by other cruise lines are similar in flavor.

I also highly recommend taking some excursions if this is your first trip or if you don't think that you will be back in the near future. I live in a beautiful area but nothing compares to Alaska.

Have a wonderful time.

This is the same cruisetour I'm booked for in September. What excursions did you take? I've already booked Juneau & Ketchikan, but would be interested in what you liked. I've already changed the NHT to the TWT in Denali due to comments on these boards. This tour is more expensive, but Kenai looks like it's worth the extra.

Thanks, Diane

Archived