Sea Lion Encounter in Curacao (pregnancy)?

PattyW

Has anyone ever done this? I am pregnant and know that I can't do the dolphin encounter (What is it with dolphins and pregnant people anyway?), but I can't find any restrictions on the sea lion encounter. The Curacao Sea-quarium only has an international number so I'm a little reluctant to call it. We've done dolphin encounters twice before, so this would be something new (and astonishingly cheaper) for everyone. Thought I'd ask here and on the curacao board first . . .

Would you be in the water with the sea lions? Or just standing on a shelf, interacting with them?

I had read before, don't know how true it is or if it's just a myth, that dolphins can sense a woman's pregancy and become very active....even bumping into the woman. :confused:

Not even standing on a shelf (like a Dolphin encounter). You can wear regular clothes to the sea lion encounter; they hop out of the water and come to you. There's a more expensive sea lion snorkel where you get in the water with them. I, too, thought I had heard that the dolphin issue had something to do with their sonar abilities, and as far as I know, sea lions don't have that ability, so I'm hoping everything will be OK.

I'll probably call over there to be sure.

Not even standing on a shelf (like a Dolphin encounter). You can wear regular clothes to the sea lion encounter; they hop out of the water and come to you. There's a more expensive sea lion snorkel where you get in the water with them. I, too, thought I had heard that the dolphin issue had something to do with their sonar abilities, and as far as I know, sea lions don't have that ability, so I'm hoping everything will be OK.

I'll probably call over there to be sure.

Gotcha. So if you are not in the water with them, then no worries. You could outrun them if needed...lol. :D

But seriously...you will be fine. The only concern would be make sure you wash your hands and don't touch your face during the excursion. You don't want to get any kind of bacterial infection from the sea lion while you are pregnant.

You could outrun them if needed...lol. :D

HAHAHAHAHA!! That IS funny:D;) I just had this vision of a pregnant woman running from Sea Lions...!

Seriously, it is true about the dolphins, my brother worked at Sea World several years ago and they are very sensitive to human hormones.

You should be fine with the Sea Lions!

Has anyone every done the one in Nassau (Atlantis)?????

Archived