Bermuda and Scooters

CruisnGram

I really need some honest feedback with those that have some direct knowledge of riding scooters in Bermuda.

Our family owns and rides scooters on a regular basis. We've ridden them locally and on vacation for many miles. So we are not inexperienced riders.

We are going to Bermuda in June and our plan was to rent scooters for the 3 days that we are there. However, a friend of my brothers who isn't the type of person to exagerate or use scare tactics highly advised my brother not to it.

He said that someone on his cruiseship was killed 2 years ago on a scooter in Bermuda. He said that while any accident can happen, and perhaps the person who was killed shouldn't have been riding in the first place, but that from what he has personally seen, he would not rent a scooter in Bermuda. He claimed that the roads are narrow and hilly at points and that the buses drive fast. Claims he was on a bus last year that was tailgaiting people on scooters while blowing his horn the entire time. The people on the scooters had no option but to speed up as there was no shoulder or anywhere for them to get out of the buses way. This guy is a certified rescue diver so is not faint of heart and said you couldn't pay him to ride a scooter in Bermuda.

This is something that we were really looking forward to doing, but are having 2nd thoughts. We want to have a good time, but do not want to end up dead if it truly is dangerous. We realize that you drive on the left side of the road and that there are traffic circles, etc. and would have no problem handling that, but this other stuff has us concerned.

So any experience you may have had, either riding or witnessing, would be appreciated to help us decide.

Thanks,

CG

Wish bdaguy would chime in this one, he's a local and has given his perspective on this before. Every cruise we've been on to Bermuda, we've seen someone who was injured. Onthe other hand, there have been plenty that were unscathed.

Yes, the roads are very narrow and unlike the US, there are no shoulders in most places. There are times when the buses swipe branches on the trees. When waiting at some of the bus stops, you have to suck in your breath because it is so tight for fear of getting hit.

The problem is not someone who has experience like in your case, it's the nature of the roads there,plus impatient and or other reckless drivers. The government is concerned and trying to come up with ways to make the roads safer.

If you go to Youtube and search scooters in Bermuda, you'll find lots of videos to at least give you an idea of what the roads are like.

The only place I would feel relatively safe riding a scooter would be around St. George. I know people who ONLY travel by scooter and think it's the greatest way to get around but only you can decide by weighing any risks. You may want to rent for just one day at first to get a "feel" for things. In all probability, you'll most likely to be fine, but it just takes one incident to put a kink in a vacation.

Edited by iheartbda-

Thank you so much for the youtube suggestion. I have no idea why I never remember that youtube has absolutely anything you want posted. :)

There are a lot of good video's there that give you a good idea of what it's like. We'll take our time and look at them and then be able to make our decision.

Thanks again for the great suggestion.

CG

Thank you so much for the youtube suggestion. I have no idea why I never remember that youtube has absolutely anything you want posted. :)

There are a lot of good video's there that give you a good idea of what it's like. We'll take our time and look at them and then be able to make our decision.

Thanks again for the great suggestion.

CG

Youtube is amazing isn't it? There are lots of good videos of Bermuda as well, even some with the Majesty. There's one bad thing about Youtube, it's too easy to spend too much time there.:D

Did you run across the NEKKID scooter video?:eek: Just don't try that.:p

Wish bdaguy would chime in this one

All yo gotta do is rub my bottle, or buy me one.

I do not recommend scooters for tourists. Just have a read of these statistics.

In the past 10 years -

number of tourists killed in bus accidents - 0

number of tourists killed in taxi accidents - 0

number of tourists killed in ferry accidents - 0

number of tourists killed in bike accidents - TOO MANY!

Change "tourists" to "locals" and you will see no one is immune to dying in bike accidents in Bermuda. I used to have a big ghetto booty until the entire thing got road rashed off in a motorcycle accident back in the 70s. It wasn't such a big deal until I thought about becoming an underwear model. Skin grafts on the bum do not make a foundation for an underwear modelling career. I got off lucky, I'm still alive, although I doubt it was real luck because it gets itchy back there.

I doubt the bus driver was constantly blowing his horn at some tourists on a scooter. More than likely he was beeping a "hi" to his friends. In Bermuda we rarely use our horns for warning or emergencies. It is mostly used to greet friends on the side of the road or as they pass by in the opposite direction. Friendly Bermuda. Make sure to say good morning/afternoon/evening to the bus driver.

All yo gotta do is rub my bottle, or buy me one.I do not recommend scooters for tourists. Just have a read of these statistics.

I've offered a number of times but YOU never show up. Do we need to have a secret drop like for ransom money?:p Are you going to stand me up yet again?

Glad you showed up, you haven't been around much...are you out on work release?:D

Edited by iheartbda-

I've been here the whole time. I was only missing when I was on vacation, but I've been back for a while now. Still at work on a Friday night because some staff have left and haven't ben replaced so I have the honour of doing their work as well as my own, but DO NOT WORRY!! I have a secret stash in my desk that only we know about.

You do have to be very careful on a scooter. The local who rented me mine told us tourists ride on the south road and locals ride on the middle road. The advice was to stay off the middle road if you are not from there. I accidently ended up on the middle road and had to stay on it because the stretch i was on had no turns. I was glad to get off the middle road. It can be fun just be careful and stay close to the walls away from other traffic so you can give them room. The bus is boring and and limited, riding on the other side of the road is actually easier, you just go right around the corner. I am a 42 year old woman and I was fine, I don't advise it for prisses who can[t drive and are fready cats.. take the bus with the other sheep and go to horseshoe bay, it is so overcrowded and looks like the beach at the jersey shore on the fourth of July.

..... riding on the other side of the road is actually easier, you just go right around the corner.

Sure...if all you do it make left hand turns.;)

The busses can also take the sheep to other beaches that aren't as crowded as Horseshoe Bay.:D

• 2 weeks later...

My friend and I each rented a scooter on my first trip to Bermuda. Neither of us had any experience riding anything like that. I absolutely loved it! :D I didn't have any problems whatsoever with any buses. My friend really didn't care for riding the scooters, so I left her at the beach and rode all around the island by myself. :p It truly is a beautiful place! My DH and I are going to Bermuda in May and we will definitely be renting a scooter. I can't wait!:D

My DH has over 30 years experience riding motorcycles (with me sitting behind him) and we felt very comfortable on a scooter. We had an awesome time riding all over Bermuda, but we did avoid the traffic in Hamilton. We hate traffic! I do have to say that we chuckled a couple of times going up the hills...big difference powerwise between the scooter and his ride. I went to Bermuda with a friend last year, and we used the bus and ferry system and had a great time. She suggested renting scooters and I said no way...no riding experience no scooter.

I respect others opinions and I think everyone has to decide for themselves.

I've never ridden on a scooter but I have to say that I was terrified for the people on scooters when we were there last June. The bus drivers DO tailgate & I just couldn't believe how close we were to those scooters. Very nerve-wracking ... & I wasn't even the one ON the scooter!

Since they drive on the left side of the road & have several roundabouts (you know, the circle-things where a few different roads all converge) I also thought that that would make driving a scooter or vehicle confusing & dangerous. Plus, they drive pretty fast considering the size & quality of the roads.

My two cents worth...it can be lots of fun but please, if you have no experience with cycle riding and are the least bit nervous, give it a miss.

As BdaGuy said, the bus driver was likely beeping his horn at someone he knew - a ritual here for many drivers. However, many cars, trucks etc do tail gate. A bad habit here that makes me nervous even in my car. I must confess that sometimes when that occurs as I'm going up a hill I like to gently raise my foot off the gas to slow down and wake up the tail gater behind me. Much more effective than when they see your brake light.

If you do choose to rent a bike, please try and avoid peak times on the roads when many of us locals are in our daily race from either end of the island to Hamilton. Morning and evening rush periods are particularly perilous especially with all the idiots on bikes who choose to use the "third lane" to scoot between vehicles. Gotta get ahead, gotta get ahead...also, afternoons around 3:30pm when high schools get out for the day and the 16 to 18 year olds claim the roads as their very own. That would mostly be towards the north side of Hamilton and on Middle Road and Palmetto Roads in Devonshire. Doesn't last long as they don't hang around!

Night times too I'd suggest if you go anywhere you do so by taxi or Ferry. Unless you are familiar with the roads, there are definitely other things to be wary of at night - not the least of which are those who have chosen to drink and drive after work, after dinner etc.

Do not ride very close to the walls/sides as you are likely to come into contact with the people who run along the roads for exercise and possibly one of those bikes who choose to try and scoot between the vehicles and the walls instead of using the "third lane" down the middle. Stick to the center of your lane.

Also, as you are not likely to be doing the speed of most of the locals, from time to time, single and pull to the side into a lay by or safe area to the side of the road and let the stream of traffic that's likely built up behind you go past. You'll make those people happy at your consideration and then you can then resume your leisurely ride without locals tailgating you for a bit.

Sorry for the long suggestions but I want you to remain safe when you're here. Cycle rentals can be fun but you need to be very aware of your surroundings and others on the road. We want you to get home safe and sound so you can come back again!

we were there 30 + yrs ago-- even back then with less congestion, the scooters were fun but very dangerous--the results are visible to all each day...

when we return on our cruise we will enjoy the great Ferry & Bus system..

My two cents worth...it can be lots of fun but please, if you have no experience with cycle riding and are the least bit nervous, give it a miss.

As BdaGuy said, the bus driver was likely beeping his horn at someone he knew - a ritual here for many drivers. However, many cars, trucks etc do tail gate. A bad habit here that makes me nervous even in my car. I must confess that sometimes when that occurs as I'm going up a hill I like to gently raise my foot off the gas to slow down and wake up the tail gater behind me. Much more effective than when they see your brake light.

If you do choose to rent a bike, please try and avoid peak times on the roads when many of us locals are in our daily race from either end of the island to Hamilton. Morning and evening rush periods are particularly perilous especially with all the idiots on bikes who choose to use the "third lane" to scoot between vehicles. Gotta get ahead, gotta get ahead...also, afternoons around 3:30pm when high schools get out for the day and the 16 to 18 year olds claim the roads as their very own. That would mostly be towards the north side of Hamilton and on Middle Road and Palmetto Roads in Devonshire. Doesn't last long as they don't hang around!

Night times too I'd suggest if you go anywhere you do so by taxi or Ferry. Unless you are familiar with the roads, there are definitely other things to be wary of at night - not the least of which are those who have chosen to drink and drive after work, after dinner etc.

Do not ride very close to the walls/sides as you are likely to come into contact with the people who run along the roads for exercise and possibly one of those bikes who choose to try and scoot between the vehicles and the walls instead of using the "third lane" down the middle. Stick to the center of your lane.

Also, as you are not likely to be doing the speed of most of the locals, from time to time, single and pull to the side into a lay by or safe area to the side of the road and let the stream of traffic that's likely built up behind you go past. You'll make those people happy at your consideration and then you can then resume your leisurely ride without locals tailgating you for a bit.

Sorry for the long suggestions but I want you to remain safe when you're here. Cycle rentals can be fun but you need to be very aware of your surroundings and others on the road. We want you to get home safe and sound so you can come back again!

All excellent points!;)

I've read you can actually take the scooters on the ferry with you for an additional charge. Anyone know if this is correct? We will be renting scooters while we are there, so anyone with advice about taking them on the ferry would be appreciated. Thanks a million!

On the Green Route which is Hamilton*Rockaway and reverse, bikes are not permitted during certain times. I wouldn't worryabout it because that doesn't look like a route a tourist would need to take, there are others.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there's an additional charge.

Edited by iheartbda-

I've read you can actually take the scooters on the ferry with you for an additional charge. Anyone know if this is correct? We will be renting scooters while we are there, so anyone with advice about taking them on the ferry would be appreciated. Thanks a million!

I read somewhere they where only allowed on the Blue and Orange Routes.

I would avoid the crowds at the ferry and just drive your scooter to the other part of the island. It's less than 7 miles from end to end and it's an absolutely gorgeous drive!:D

If you don't ride one here at home, don't try it! Driving on the "wrong side of the road" on something you've never operated before, on unfamiliar roads isn't the best idea to have. Our first trip to Bermuda we watched a couple pull out of the rental lot and plow right into the wall across the street. He (the driver) broke his leg...she (the rider) broke her shoulder and both had severe road rash.

I would avoid the crowds at the ferry and just drive your scooter to the other part of the island. It's less than 7 miles from end to end and it's an absolutely gorgeous drive!:D

What end to end are you referring to?:confused:

If you don't ride one here at home, don't try it! Driving on the "wrong side of the road" on something you've never operated before, on unfamiliar roads isn't the best idea to have. Our first trip to Bermuda we watched a couple pull out of the rental lot and plow right into the wall across the street. He (the driver) broke his leg...she (the rider) broke her shoulder and both had severe road rash.

That's awful! Luckily we didn't have any serious mishaps! I lived in Japan for three years so I didn't have too much trouble driving on the "wrong side of the road." This time hubby will be driving anyway, so I am just going to sit back, relax and enjoy the scenery!:p

What end to end are you referring to?:confused:

I was talking about from where our ship pulls in being one end to St George's at the other end. I'm not sure of the exact distance, but seems like it's only 6-7 miles.