tipping w/children

jinblossom

Hi,

I know there's been alot of questions on tipping/gratuities, but didn't find anything on children. I'm usually a big tipper (use to waitress), but my DH disagrees with gratuities for our 2 y/o son. Do we tip full amount or partial for a 2y/o? Thanks

Hi,

I know there's been alot of questions on tipping/gratuities, but didn't find anything on children. I'm usually a big tipper (use to waitress), but my DH disagrees with gratuities for our 2 y/o son. Do we tip full amount or partial for a 2y/o? Thanks

Why not wait and make the decision after the cruise. If you feel your child required the service of a full adult or maybe less you can make a decision on what would be fair.

Hi,

With only one or two excepts on a very few cruise ships, the tips are per person, the full amount including children.

You can always change the gratuities if you wish at the end of your cruise if you feel that your child didn't make a mess. I grappled with this issue, too, before my cruise. I wound up paying the full amount. The room steward really did an awesome job and he had my daughter's sofa bed made up so nicely each night. I felt that he deserved every penny!

No one says you have auto tip. You can have them take it off the bill. I agree with the post above. Wait and see how the service is.

I personally disagree with having auto tips removed. You can reallocate if needed such as not eating in dining room then have the funds transferred to lido staff etc. But the daily amount withheld per person is to cover several people and by removing it, someone gets nothing that may deserve it. If your service is not up to your expectations, go to the pursers desk and let them know what isn't acceptable and if still not corrected, then you can see them about removing tips but I've not had an issue with giving them the auto-tips. I consider it a service fee that is part of the cost of the cruise. Keep in mind that the staff gets a very small amount of paycheck and rely on tips moreso than the US waiters/waitresses. Since OP was a waitress, I'm sure you can relate to receiving inadequate salary. http://www.cruisejunkie.com/ot.html

As for the 2 year old, they still eat and need to be waited on, cleaned up after, need clean linens etc. Tip full amount. I also tip extra in cash as appropriate such as kids clubs staff, waiters that go above & beyond, bartenders that make strong drinks etc. Anyone that makes your cruise awesome, gets extra.

Archived