Zaandam good and bad

don1933

I was on the Zaandam Christmas cruise to Hawaii in December/January of this year (9 days at sea and 6 days Hawaii). This was my first cruise on HAL, but have been on numerous cruises on NCL and Costa lines

The good:

Cabin attendants were superior - helpful and conscientious.

Food was excellent. Normally we frequent the specialty restaurants but no need on this trip - dining experience was 8 out of 10.

Same food was served in buffet as in main dining room, and buffet at night had tablecloths and servers to help you - nice touch.

Ship is nine-years old but very clean. Front desk is well-run - can't say anything about tours since we know the islands quite well and we do our own thing.

Coffe bar makes wonderful expressos (or any other drink you want).

The not so good:

Three out of the four mid-ship elevators were not operational during the entire trip - when I asked a maintenance person the said: "Oh, they were supposed to replace them last time in port but they forgot." Two other elevators forward were out of service after the fifth day.

Most of the washing machines broke down after the third day and were never repaired.

Somehow our room had a moderate urine smell - they came and sprayed our room several times but didn't help. I believe it was a leak somewhere outside our room as I finally saw maintenance people trying to find some sort of leak in a panel across from our room - but smell never went away. I assume they had other complaints as well.

The cruise had lots of children (Christmas cruise with grandma and grandpa). Because of the number of children not one adult could use the two pools during the entire cruise - and the children dominated both the pools and jacuzzis.

If you are not a gambler or bingo player there are some mindless little games they invite you to, but otherwise this line offers only 1 destination speaker, one 1 hour art class on days at sea, and 1 one hour bridge lesson. Better bring books (but in retrospect the have outstanding library).

We had a charge which was not ours (a bottle of $45 wine) and it took five visits the the front desk to get this removed). No one seems to be in charge of anything. Front desk told us we had to go the the main dining room to get this resolved!

Frankly I was greatly disappointed, especially since they charged an extra $1000 for this trip, especially since the evening entertainment was ho hum.

On a scale of 1-10 our experience was about a 4.

Love the comment....they were supposed to replace the elevators but they forgot. How do you forget that? So typical HAL. The things that you encountered on your trip are the same types of things that turn me off cruising HAL after being a huge fan of the line. While they are not deal breakers one on top of the other adds up and cuts into the enjoyment of the cruise.

wow.... This is disappointing review. And I'm suppose to board on Friday this week.

After reading about the code red currently on the Zaandam and this review.... I'm really second guessing our choice.:confused:

I just want to say that we and the people we met on our Jan 21st Zaandam trip had a fabulous time! I thought his review was very fair for his trip. I enjoyed reading about "the good and the bad." But, I'd be back on that ship with you right now, if we could! Too bad about the current code red on the Zaandam--I guess I missed that. For me, the activities seemed to overlap, so I had to pick and choose which ones I wanted to do. I wouldn't be second guessing your upcoming trip at alll. The one thing I would say is that it was chillier than we expected, on the ship, till you got closer to Hawaii, so you still need slacks and layer your clothing. Have fun!!

Chris

Zaandam Jan 21 to Febr 5, 2009

I wouldn't be second guessing your upcoming trip at alll. The one thing I would say is that it was chillier than we expected, on the ship, till you got closer to Hawaii, so you still need slacks and layer your clothing. Have fun!!

Chris

Chris, thanks for the 'boost'.... and the info on the weather for the at sea days. I've posted this question a couple times without an answer... thank you/:D

Did you have any problems/or use the laundry facilities in Jan? I'm kind of counting on this so I don't have to pack too much.

Thanks again.:)

Chris, thanks for the 'boost'.... and the info on the weather for the at sea days. I've posted this question a couple times without an answer... thank you/:D

Did you have any problems/or use the laundry facilities in Jan? I'm kind of counting on this so I don't have to pack too much.

Thanks again.:)

I personally didn't use the laundry, but one of our tablemates used it with no problem at all. I was in the room once for the iron, and the washer and dryers all seemed to be functioning. It was $2.00 to wash (8 quarters), and $1.00 to dry (4 quarters). Apparently the laundry detergent is already in the washer so you don't need to provide that. She also said the first time she wanted to use the washer, they were all busy, so she just waited till later in the day and had no problem.

The temps out on our verandah would start in the low 60's in the a.m., and would get up to the low 70's, but it could be windy. They had the covering closed at the lido pool, so people could sit around the pool. The pool was heated, so that was very welcome.

The safe in your room is one where you swipe a credit card, not the one where you pick your combination.

My husband and I both gained weight on this trip--the food was wonderful, and we especially loved all the choices in the lido at breakfast. Who knew that in addition to the regular buffet, there would also be an eggs benedict station, a waffle station, and an omelet of the day station.

Hopefully the ship will be out of the code red, by the time you board.

The volcano eruption at 9:00 p.m. after leaving Hilo on the Starboard side was something I didn't know about either, and worth going outside to see. Any other questions, I'd be happy to answer.

Have a great trip!

Chris

I have been a little disapointed and will be sailing less onHAL but still sailing on HAL. On our January 09 Zaandam trip we lost all power (yes dead in the water) and lift boat 13 was missing a prop for the whole trip.Wonder if they replaced it or forgot it too?

I have to say all the employees are nice but there are problems with the shore and ship staff being on the same page thus my cutting back on the line.

there would also be an eggs benedict station, a waffle station,

What? You mean they had eggs benidict at the lido ??? How in the world did I miss that?? :(I love eggs benidict!!! Ohh well probably for the best seeing as I put on more pounds then I would have liked.

The elevators where fixed on our cruise. They also have a laundry bag that you can fill and they will do your laundry for $20.00. You would be amazed how much we fit into that bag!!!

Don, thanks for your report on the Zaandam. We are scheduled to sail her next year. Does anyone know when she is due for a refurb???

The only thing that bothers me is that perhaps the elevators would not be working. We saw an elderly woman take an awful fall down some steps last week on the Westerdam. The carpeted steps, tennis shoes and decreased mobility just does not work well.

Our friends stayed with her and her husband and we ran to our cabin and hit the 911/emerg button on the phone. Someone arrived shortly thereafter.

I tried the Eggs Benedict on a different ship and they had either no lemon or very little in the Hollandaise sauce. Fortunately they had a similar smoked salmon dish that more than compensated. (I get Eggs Benedict at home sometimes; I never get the smoked salmon dish.) Does anyone know whether it's possible to get lemon in one's Hollandaise sauce on HAL without making a big commotion?

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully by May all will be in order.

We are going to need a cab from the port in Seattle to the airport. Does anyone have any info on hiring a cab? What is the distance from port to the airport?

$25-40 for a 20-30 minute drive. Check out the website below for Seattle port info:

http://www.portseattle.org/seaport/cruise/passengerinfo.shtml

(My apologies for digressing from the original topic at hand, which is the Zaandam to Hawaii. If anyone wants to pay for my cruise, I'll gladly go:))

$25-40 for a 20-30 minute drive. Check out the website below for Seattle port info:

http://www.portseattle.org/seaport/cruise/passengerinfo.shtml

(My apologies for digressing from the original topic at hand, which is the Zaandam to Hawaii. If anyone wants to pay for my cruise, I'll gladly go:))

Check out the shuttle van, or the bus. Much more reasonable than a taxi.

On the other hand, to get back to Hawaii, in San Diego, the port and airport are practically next door to each other!

Somehow our room had a moderate urine smell - they came and sprayed our room several times but didn't help. I believe it was a leak somewhere outside our room as I finally saw maintenance people trying to find some sort of leak in a panel across from our room - but smell never went away. I assume they had other complaints as well.

What cabin were you in?

For those of you on the Jan. 09 cruises, did you notice this problem?

Thanks!

Laura

They had the covering closed at the lido pool, so people could sit around the pool. The pool was heated, so that was very welcome.

Any other questions, I'd be happy to answer.

Have a great trip!

Chris

Chris, Does the Zaandam's pool have fresh water or salt water? Thanks much, Jodi

Sorry, I didn't taste the water. Don't know.

Chris

Sorry.... for the dumb sounding question... but it makes a difference for the DH. The salt water burns his eyes (even when he doesn't open them). A couple of years ago we were on Freedom of the Seas and was thrilled to find that their pools were fresh water. Some cruise lines only use salt water for their pools. I just could remember what the Zaandam had.

Sorry.... for the dumb sounding question... but it makes a difference for the DH. The salt water burns his eyes (even when he doesn't open them). A couple of years ago we were on Freedom of the Seas and was thrilled to find that their pools were fresh water. Some cruise lines only use salt water for their pools. I just could remember what the Zaandam had.

I sort of thought that was the reason behind your question. All I can say, is that I didn't experience any salt in the Lido pool. But I didn't go under water. I never went into the aft pool--it was pretty chilly back there on our cruise.

Chris

Not sure if this is applicable, but the aft pool on the Westerdam was fresh water, at least that is what my gf said!!! I have found if you email HAL with a question they will usually get back to you!!

Hope there is a fresh water pool for you and your dh:)

Archived