iPhone 3G on Mariner?

If you only plan to use it for email, you should consider turning on wi-fi and using the ship's network for that purpose. You will still have to pay Regent for the wi-fi access (they offered a couple of different packages of minutes last time I checked) but that may be less than what AT&T would want for doing your email via 3G (assuming that 3G works where you will be cruising). Using wi-fi will also get you Internet access. My experience with the wi-fi on Mariner that it certainly wasn't broadband speed -- maybe a little faster than 56K dialup -- so the minutes spent web browing can add up quickly. For email usage, you might be able to turn on wi-fi, grab your incoming and send your outgoing, then turn it off.

As a sidelight, I used my AT&T cellphone (not iPhone) a couple of times in Panama and Costa Rica for voice calls, and the charges were pretty stiff. It seems you're at the mercy of whichever local operator is giving you access.

Thanks, kvisf, for your detailed reply. I'll certainly keep all of your advice in mind while on the Mariner.

What type of charger I should buy to power the iPhone while on the plane? I'll be in Economy class, so I won't have the luxury of in-seat power if I were in Business or First class.

Thanks again! :p

Agree with the wifi solution while on the ship for internet access. You do NOT want to be data roaming on the ship; it will eat money faster than you can count it.

If you plan on using your iPhone for phone calls, you may want to sign up for ATT World Traveler Program for the month you are away. It's around $5 per month and you will save per minute depending on the country you are calling from. Here's a chart http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/international-roaming.jsp You can cancel it as soon as you return home. I used it while traveling last year. It saves around $.20 - .40 per minute for calls (although it doesn't save anything while calling from the ship. It's still $2.49/minute!)

Another thing to consider is that incoming text messages are free (depending on your rate plan) and outgoing are $.50. I saved on my last trip by having people text me if they have quick questions. A quick response was only $.50 instead of calling for over $1 per minute. They don't even need to have a phone to text. They can email you by using this format: x=your mobile number xxxxxxxxxx@txt.att.net

As for the charging solution, you may want to consider an all around portable charger that will work with your iPhone and other electronic devices. They run around $35-$50. Here's an example: http://www.amazon.com/Tekkeon-TekCharge-Rechargeable-Li-Poly-Battery/dp/B0017KH6OU/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1

I just got an iPhone the other day and I have been getting emails from ATT about using the phone. One of the things in the many many many emails was about iPhone usage abroad. Here is what they sent:

iPhone Tips for International Roamers

When using your service outside the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands (for either voice or data), international roaming rates apply. Your iPhone provides access to email, Visual Voicemail, Web browsing and other applications that can use a significant amount of data, so remember-international data roaming can get expensive quickly.

How iPhone Users Can Minimize International Data Charges:

Turn Data Roaming "OFF": Be sure to download and install the latest version of iPhone software from iTunes. By default, this setting for international data roaming will be in the "OFF" position.

To turn data roaming "ON/OFF" tap on Settings>General>Network>Data Roaming

Utilize Wi-Fi Instead of 3G/GPRS/EDGE: Wi-Fi is available in many international airports, hotels and restaurants to browse the web or check email.

Turn Fetch New Data "OFF": Check email and sync contacts and calendars manually instead of having the data pushed to your iPhone automatically. This way you can control the flow of data coming to your iPhone.

To turn off the Auto-Check functionality tap on Settings>Fetch New Data, change Push to “OFF” and Select to Fetch Manually

Consider Purchasing an International Data Package: Purchasing an international data package can significantly reduce the cost of using data abroad. AT&T now offers four discount international data packages. The 20 MB package is $24.99 per month, the 50 MB package is $59.99 per month, 100 MB package is $119.99 per month, and the 200 MB package is $199.99 per month. See att.com/worldpackages for details and international roaming rates.

Reset the Usage Tracker to Zero: When you arrive overseas access the usage tracker in the general settings menu & select reset statistics. This will enable you to track your estimated data usage.

To reset Usage Tracker to Zero tap on Settings>General>Usage>Reset

Hope this info helps.

I don't take my iPhone out of the country. When we are on a Caribbean cruise, I call home from San Juan, St. Thomas, the US territories, and I make a point of getting well away from the ship before I do (I've been told this isn't necessary, but since I'm going to explore anyway, I just make my phone calls while I do). I love my gadgets, but I'm not at all sure I understand them well enough to keep from running up a big bill. My husband still rags me because I picked up a voicemail once from my son, something like "hi mom, didn't know if you left yet, love you" and it cost too much.

• 6 months later...

Archived