travel insurance

grandmotherof3

grandmotherof3:

I’ve been researching the Carnival Berkley Policy versus various 3rd Party Policies as listed on http://www.insuremytrip.com and http://www.buyamericaninsurance.com .

I did find some surprising (little known?) coverages in the Carnival Policy:

· The Carnival policy is fully refundable if you cancel Cruise Booking & Trip Insurance prior to Final Payment deadline.

· If your Carnival insurance claim is declined due to a Pre-Existing Medical condition, you will still receive the claim amount as credit toward a future cruise.

· Carnival Insurance guarantees a $1000 payment to the Hospital if required for your admittance.

· Carnival Insurance arranges for your Medical Evacuation and guarantees (pre-pays) the transportation company.

· According to Carnival and Berkley Reps (and the Trip Insurance Airfare FAQ’s) the Carnival Insurance Trip Cancellation coverage also covers Non-Carnival Airfare!!! I have some trouble believing this!

With Respect To other 3rd Party Policies, the Carnival Berkley Policy is “lacking” in these areas:

· Carnival Policy has No Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions

· Carnival’s $30,000 Medical Evacuation coverage is barely adequate for the Caribbean and very low for European Cruises.

· Carnival’s $10,000 Medical coverage is pretty low.

· Carnival has no Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) Coverage for Airline Flights or for the Cruise.

· Carnival’s premiums are overall higher than the 3rd party policies which have better coverages. The Carnival premiums are MUCH higher for younger travelers, who can save 50% or more, with higher coverages, by using the 3rd party policies.

The following 3 Policies stand-out for the indicated reasons:

PATRIOT T.R.I.P. is an (almost) comparable policy in coverages (except for too low coverage for Medical Evacuation and for Baggage Delay/Loss), with MUCH lower premiums.

TRAVEL INSURED LITE EXPANDED is about 25% less expensive for Senior Travelers and some 50% less expensive for Younger Travelers. The policy offers much higher Medical Expense and Medical Evacuation coverages, and includes Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions, optional AD&D coverage, 1 kid per adult insured FREE, and Trip Cancellation coverage for Extended School Schedule.

CSA FREESTYLE looks to give the “best bang for the buck” with much higher/better coverag (for all but Baggage Delay/Loss). The policy includes coverages for Missed Connection, Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions when purchased as late as FINAL Payment, Rental Car CDW, and AD&D Flight coverage. The premiums are lower for Seniors and quite a bit lower for Younger Travelers, but you can decrease those premiums by 20% more if you purchase your policy less than 20 days before sailing (I suspect that you lose the Waiver of Pre-Existing conditions).

ken

Archived