Ketchikan - Saxman vs Bight

hon2u

We will be visiting Ketchikan in June and would like to hear about your visits to these two totem village and park.

In relationship to the cruise dock where are they located? Did you do a tour or go on your own?

Does anyone know where you can find a schedule of the dancers at Saxman Village? :confused:

Thanks in advance!

We will be visiting Ketchikan in June and would like to hear about your visits to these two totem village and park.

In relationship to the cruise dock where are they located? Did you do a tour or go on your own?

Thanks in advance!

We did not go to either, since they require 3 hours minimum from the cruise docks. You can take the city bus to Bight, or go on an organized tour to either. Although you can go to Saxman on your own, I've heard you will be sort of a party crasher and may not be able to access the dancers, carvers, etc. (I will be quickly corrected if my comment isn't accurate).

A third option is the Totem Heritage Center, a 20 minute walk from the docks. It's a City museum that contains historic totems that have been rescued from abandoned villages and are kept in arrested decay out of the elements. Admission was about $5 and 1 hour will allow a good visit. The museum docents and signage are both excellent. I recommend this if you want to understand totems in their historical context. If you are looking for brightly painted totems for great photos, then Bight is probably a better choice.

If you can get to Saxman on your own, you can purchase a tour ticket for $30 at the gift shop. The tour is 1 1/2 hours long and DOES include the dancers. You can email tkorn@capefoxtours.com to get the tour schedule for your particular day. Just say in your email that you will be arriving by private transportation.

In my opinion, Saxman Village requires a guide since so much is gained by the commentary. It's a couple miles from the cruise docks. Tours are available at the dock visitor center, but have heard of availablity at the gift shop which seems to be inconsistant in availability, in the past?? Verify this directly.

Totem Bight requires 3 hours via blue city bus, but is free access and a $2 "tour". :) Necessary is to print out and bring with you their totem guide, if you want more out of the visit. http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/totempol.htm

I have personally been to all three of these listed areas. Ketchikan is loaded with totems throughout the city. The Public lands - Alaska Discovery also has some totem exhibits. Very nice set of totems out the back of the Fox Lodge.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=18171148#post18171148

Here's a link to a thread with this info, hope it helps some.

I have personally been to all three of these listed areas. Ketchikan is loaded with totems throughout the city. The Public lands - Alaska Discovery also has some totem exhibits. Very nice set of totems out the back of the Fox Lodge.

BQ, if you had to pick up for a first timer, which would you suggest?

In my opinion, Saxman Village requires a guide since so much is gained by the commentary. It's a couple miles from the cruise docks. Tours are available at the dock visitor center, but have heard of availablity at the gift shop which seems to be inconsistant in availability, in the past?? Verify this directly.

Totem Bight requires 3 hours via blue city bus, but is free access and a $2 "tour". :) Necessary is to print out and bring with you their totem guide, if you want more out of the visit. http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/totempol.htm

Thanks everyone!

Budget Queen, Does the 3 hours include the city bus ride? How long is the ride and how often do they make stops at Totem Bight for a return to downtown? I can seem to locate a schedule.

The last time we visited Ketchikan we walked around the tunnel area then Creek Street, went to Dolly's and shopped. I loved the jewelry shop with the giant opal. With opal being my birthstone I had to buy a beautiful ring for myself! :D We had planned on walking to the Totem Museum but instead took the funicular to Cape Fox Lodge and saw the few totems there.

I think we will do Totem Bight as we are not party crashers. Curious - who's party would we be crashing. Is the village not open to the public and visitors not arriving via cruise ship? :confused:

I think we will do Totem Bight as we are not party crashers. Curious - who's party would we be crashing. Is the village not open to the public and visitors not arriving via cruise ship? :confused:

We have been to Saxman four times. Twice we were on a tour. The last two times we went on our own since we had a rental car for the day. Personally I prefer Saxman, but when we have a car we do both. We did not feel like "party crashers" when we went on our own. We were able to go into the carving shed all four times. Once when we were on our own we were able to visit with the carver in the shed because no one else was around. He was quite willing to give us a detailed explanation of the totem he was carving.

Kenish,

Have you been to the museum? I am of Native American heritage so I love the rescue of artifacts from our history.

I have been to Totem Heritage Museum as well as Saxman Village, Totem Bight and the Public Lands exhibit. All are different and very interesting in my opinion. Best of all, very reasonable touring options in a high cost touring area. :)

Thanks everyone!

Budget Queen, Does the 3 hours include the city bus ride? How long is the ride and how often do they make stops at Totem Bight for a return to downtown? I can seem to locate a schedule.

The last time we visited Ketchikan we walked around the tunnel area then Creek Street, went to Dolly's and shopped. I loved the jewelry shop with the giant opal. With opal being my birthstone I had to buy a beautiful ring for myself! :D We had planned on walking to the Totem Museum but instead took the funicular to Cape Fox Lodge and saw the few totems there.

Yes, 3 hours round trip from the dock. Verify the schedules, if they change in the summer. http://borough.ketchikan.ak.us/publicworks/bus/BlueLine1_000.htm

Kenish,

Have you been to the museum? I am of Native American heritage so I love the rescue of artifacts from our history.

Yes, we went to the Totem Heritage Museum but not the other two due to our short time in port. There are a lot of signs and old photographs of the people, clans, and villages in the area and their history. "Rescuing" totems is ironic in a way, since decaying to their natural state is part of their symbolism. Since the totems at all 3 locations were carved by Natives, they are all authentic.

FYI, the Museum is not the best choice if you want great photos. The interior is dimly lit to help with preservation and most of the poles are on their side behind Plexiglas. Also, what paint remains is badly faded. Photos are possible but they won't make the cover of any tourist brochures!

Archived