Belize

DJ1VIKES

We did this on a Princess cruise and loved it. There are some comments from me and others about this on the Belize board. This is nothing like a zoo in US. This is the animal's habitat. You may have to look up trees and in underbrush to see some of the animals, and some you won't see. However, our guide was very knowledgable and was able to point out many of the "hidden" animals. Sometimes, on the other hand, the animals may come up very close to the wire fences. We were treated to a black jaguar "posing"(as cats will do) maybe 2 feet from the fence, and he was in no hurry to move on! The spotted jaguar also was quite a treat to see. He just kept circling the compound and coming right up against the fence as he made his rounds. Use insect spray and take water. You will be in the jungle!

We did the trip to the zoo two years ago when we were on the Norwegian Sea. I really enjoyed it, and the animals. I have pictures posted on Webshots, but I'm not sure how to direct you to them. For our tour, we took the bus to the zoo. There are only two traffic lights in Belize and we hit both of them! Afterwards, we had lunch at a little restaurant by the river, and then they put us in boats as we sped back to the ship. I kept asking them to slow down as I wanted to savor the trip back, but I think we took a little too long at the zoo and they didn't want to make us late.

I would warn you that the only "facilities" at the zoo brought back a lot of memories of Girl Scout camp, if you catch my drift.

Archived