Canadians..passport or not?

firhill

Regardless of the kind of cruise - if you're flying from Canada into the US then YES!!

OP lists his location as California so I assume he's driving.

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/travel/vacation/ready_set_go/land_travel/docs/whti_notification_tearsheet.ctt/whti_notification_tearsheet.pdf

I'd still use a passport, all take note of any visa requirements (assuming you're on one). People have got burned in the past because their visa did not allow exit and reentry.

Thanks to all for their replies.

To be specific so as to avoid assumptions,this cruise would be undertaken by my 27yo son who is a Canadian citizen and still lives in Canada.

I know he does not require a passport to cross into the US by car before flying out of Detroit to the west coast. It's the cruise part that is the concern.Post-cruise he will not be flying out of US. He will return to Canada the same way he got here...by driving across the border.

The odd thing is that the two options he is given under "citizenship info----please indicate the document you will be bringing" on his fun pass are passport or birth certificate.

I just completed the fun pass checking only "birth certificate" and it says everything is complete and ready for print-out.

In comparison,I being a Canadian citizen and a resident alien living in the US, am given one option only.....US Resident Alien(green card) number.

Or you can try to go without a passport, than let us know how it all worked out.

That's the plan.

Thanks to all for their replies.

To be specific so as to avoid assumptions,this cruise would be undertaken by my 27yo son who is a Canadian citizen and still lives in Canada.

I know he does not require a passport to cross into the US by car before flying out of Detroit to the west coast. It's the cruise part that is the concern.Post-cruise he will not be flying out of US. He will return to Canada the same way he got here...by driving across the border.

The odd thing is that the two options he is given under "citizenship info----please indicate the document you will be bringing" on his fun pass are passport or birth certificate.

I just completed the fun pass checking only "birth certificate" and it says everything is complete and ready for print-out.

In comparison,I being a Canadian citizen and a resident alien living in the US, am given one option only.....US Resident Alien(green card) number.

That's the plan.

I posted a quote and link, and it says Canucks:p need a PP or frequent traveler card.

Slim-P,

Thanks,I saw that and appreciate it also.I immediately read thru the link you supplied and I think that's the only document choices available to use after June 2009.

Thanks again

NP, I just read where you said" thats the plan" when refering to going without out the PP, and was worried that your son might try that.

GL to you and your son.

Carnivals website says that Canadians must have a passport.http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/New_Passport_Requirements.aspx

Thanks,

I did see that...still find it kinda odd, that when filling out funpass, birth certificate was a(n accepted) option to complete it.

I'll be sure to post back,whatever happens.

If you are not a LPR, place your i-94 number the white piece of paper that has your classification (TN, H1B etc) in the place of the LPR#. The i-94 # as long as it is valid is technically not all that different from the LPR#. I see Canadiens cross the border alot with photo ID and Birth certificate to fly our of syracuse ny since it is cheaper. US to US flights do not require a passport. Canada to US does. It is a way around the requirements for many Canadiens. June 1, 2009 most Candiens will need a passport to drive into the US. Ontario does have an enhanced drivers license many have ordered them, that will be ok to drive but not fly into the US. Carnival may have requirements that superceed that of CBP though. CBP allows the NEXUS card for frequent air travel but the airlines do not. They require a passport. The Nexus card has a rfdi chip, a scan of your eye and fingerprints attached to the card. More secure thatn the passport. But the airlines are behind in technology.

Thanks,

I did see that...still find it kinda odd, that when filling out funpass, birth certificate was a(n accepted) option to complete it.

I'll be sure to post back,whatever happens.

Of course if you get there and he doesn't have the passport that he needs, he will watch you sail away without him and he will not get any refund.

Of course if you get there and he doesn't have the passport that he needs, he will watch you sail away without him and he will not get any refund.

You're definitely wrong on this point.Plan "B"would be to spend the week in LA,together....of course that would be after I board the ship just to remove the pre-paid auto-tips;)

I do not understand why you would even consider risking this trip without a passport unless there is some reason your son can not get one. Should an emergency occur requiring your son to quickly return to Canada, he would be unable to do so. If your son can't afford the passport then maybe he shouldn't be cruising.

If your son can't afford the passport then maybe he shouldn't be cruising.

I was looking for answers, not comments but FWIW...money is no object.

I do not understand why you would even consider risking this trip without a passport unless there is some reason your son can not get one.

Ahhh..then,you would understand.

I was looking for answers, not comments but FWIW...money is no object.

Ahhh..then,you would understand.

Those very same reasons that could prevent him from getting a passport could prevent him from entering the U.S. Good thing that money is not an object as there is a possibility you will be cruising alone.

this looks like it was just a troll question

so in anwser

no you do not need a passport just go there is no borders to cross have a great cuise and a great life TROLL

Not necessarily so, the rules are changing for Canadians entering the U.S. by land and sea and it is a valid question.

so in anwser

no you do not need a passport just go there is no borders to cross have a great cuise and a great life TROLL

I would have to say ppl like you that post ppl are trolls, are being trolls themselves. Hmmmm, I guess me calling you a troll makes me a troll. Life is such a vicious circle.

so in anwser

Jeffrey..or is it Brett, sorry not sure which is your first name,

No..I'm certainly not a troll.

It was a legitimate question...and I believe after much researching that you and I agree on the answer....to wit....no passport is required.

and FWIW...thanks for the wellwishes on the future. I do plan to have a great life.

Jeffrey..or is it Brett, sorry not sure which is your first name,

No..I'm certainly not a troll.

It was a legitimate question...and I believe after much researching that you and I agree on the answer....to wit....no passport is required.

and FWIW...thanks for the wellwishes on the future. I do plan to have a great life.

BTW..that FEZ character in your signature...is he portrayed as gay?......not that there's anything wrong with that.....I'm just curious

Archived