Has Anybody Used AirTran?

gooselover

We've flown AirTran twice now and I have to say we've been quite impressed. Their customer service (what?! customer service?! from an AIRLINE?!) has been very good. They have been helpful and very courteous. In both cases the planes were immaculate and very comfortable. No complaints so far!

We fly Airtran all the time and we love them. In my experience, they have always been on time to a destination even if you left your departure late. One note, be to your terminal on time they board early and leaving the gate at the time thats posted. No frills on this airline though, but the staff is great.

We cruised in January 09 and had booked our airfare far in advance (May 08). Airtran changed our flight 3 times. We went from a direct flight to a flight with a 4 hour layover and then the last change they split my entire family of 6 up. They had my 6 year old on a flight by himself. It was one headache after another with them. Then after all of that, the return flight that we were finally bumped to was delayed because of "mechanical difficulties" which in turn nearly caused us to miss our connection in Atlanta. Fortunately, they held the second flight but we had to literally run to get there. We are cruising again in January 2010, but I will not book with Airtran again. Sometimes the bargain prices just aren't worth the hassle.

I have flown with them several times. They are a no frills airline, but thats fine by me. I have never had any problems.

Connecting flights can be a pain, though. One flight I had a 4 hour layover and on the return my layover was 5 hours. BUT... I didn't mind. The price was right and I was able to get something to eat and drink and was able to sit and read. The time passed very quickly.

We cruised in January 09 and had booked our airfare far in advance (May 08). Airtran changed our flight 3 times. We went from a direct flight to a flight with a 4 hour layover and then the last change they split my entire family of 6 up. They had my 6 year old on a flight by himself. It was one headache after another with them. Then after all of that, the return flight that we were finally bumped to was delayed because of "mechanical difficulties" which in turn nearly caused us to miss our connection in Atlanta. Fortunately, they held the second flight but we had to literally run to get there. We are cruising again in January 2010, but I will not book with Airtran again. Sometimes the bargain prices just aren't worth the hassle.

AirTran is one of my favorite airlines depending on where I am going.

I have never had any major issues. Each person is different and may have a different experience.

Please keep in mind that your experience is not limited to AirTran.

When you book airfare pretty far in advance flights are subject to change. As the day of the flight gets closer the airline knows how many seats are available and the chances of selling those seats.

With that said it is not uncommon for an airline to change times or even airplanes to accommodate the demand.

I am sorry you had a this experience as long as you realize this type of thing could happen on other airlines as well.

Just go with the flow and be prepared.

As far as being a "no frills" airline, it is true. Guess what? Most airlines are no frills airlines now, domestically anyway. You still get the same can of soda and the same pretzels or nuts as the other airlines serve, but the airfare is usually lower.

I have flown with airtran MANY time.

It is one of the airlines that actually flies to major cities from my small airports. WE don't have a lot of options here.

MOST of the time, I have had no complaints.

Last year, I booked our flights (DD's and Mine- for her birthday Cruise) MONTHS in advance....

I have a habit of checking flights frequently ( I look for cheaper prices etc) and found in about feb... (for JULY cruise) that my itinerary was no longer available. I contacted Airtran to find that they had Canceled the flights to Ft. Lauderdale.

They would cheerfully book me to another city. NONE Of which were close to Miami where our cruise left from...:mad:

I had to spend almost twice as much for our planned trip..... I was NOT happy. But they told me I had no recourse since I would not 'accept' their offer of another city to fly to:(

I really think for the MOST part Airtran is a good airline (budget) AND you can upgrade for next to nothing :p

OP,

Check the Cruise Air section for lots more info. I posted there recently myself.

Since this is one of the more inexpensive airlines that offer PIT to ORD, I booke with them, but for the past 3 years, they have moved my flights without ever letting me know.

I found this out the hard way the first time and then I learned:rolleyes:

The reason I continue to book with them is $$$$$$$. PLain and simple.

Constantly check both your departure and returne flight up until the day you leave. This is the best advice I can give anyone:D

Thank you SO MUCH everyone! While our cruise on Glory is not until October - I am just looking around for airfare and AirTran seems to be the lowest. I still think we probably should just leave the day before, but my son is having trouble getting off work to do that. Thanks again

We have flown Airtran numerous times from Moline, Il to Tampa, Sarasota, Ft Myers and Atlanta. They are a great airline for the most part. They are very unwilling to transfer you to another airline if they cancel your flight. I had one bad experience last year. Flying from Sarasota in Jan 08 there was a ice storm that hit Atlanta which was a connection. They cancelled all flights for that day and rebooked me for the next day with similar times. I arrived at Sarasota airport next day and found out there was mechanical problems with plane and they put me in a cab to Tampa airport to get me on a flight to Atlanta to catch my connecting flight home to Moline. So-yes they did help me, but it was made quite clear that it was not an option to put me on another airline to get me home. I arrived home 28 hours later than originally planned.

OP,

Check the Cruise Air section for lots more info. I posted there recently myself.

Since this is one of the more inexpensive airlines that offer PIT to ORD, I booke with them, but for the past 3 years, they have moved my flights without ever letting me know.

I found this out the hard way the first time and then I learned:rolleyes:

The reason I continue to book with them is $$$$$$$. PLain and simple.

Constantly check both your departure and returne flight up until the day you leave. This is the best advice I can give anyone:D

I wonder why they never contact you. I give them my cell, home phone, and email address and they contacted me on all 3 when they changed my flights.

Bill

1st time I booked AirTran was a direct flight Charlotte to Orlando. They cancelled my flight and "rebooked" me on a flight connecting in ATL. The trip was going to actually take me as long to fly as to drive with the connection so I cancelled altogether. No problems with that, I was given a full refund.

2nd time was for my daughter to fly from Charlotte to Canton/Akron. All AirTran from Charlotte now MUST go through ATL. Her Charlotte plane to ATL was late arriving so she was going to miss the last flight out from ATL to CAK so she couldn't go (she's 17 and not spending the night in ATL thanks). They did put her on the first flight out of CLT the next morning so after another drive to the airport all went well.

3rd time was from CLT to FLL. No complaints at all execept the having to go through ATL. However, it was much cheaper so worth the extra hassle for me. All of the 4 planes on this trip arrived at each destination early. Never one late departure.

I will book AirTran again. My biggest issue is that I can't fly anywhere direct....other than ALT...which I can drive to in about 3 hours so I wouldn't fly there anyway. But for the prices and on time rating, I can't get a better deal.

Overall I am pleased with my experiences.

We have flown Airtran numerous times from Moline, Il to Tampa, Sarasota, Ft Myers and Atlanta. They are a great airline for the most part. They are very unwilling to transfer you to another airline if they cancel your flight. I had one bad experience last year. Flying from Sarasota in Jan 08 there was a ice storm that hit Atlanta which was a connection. They cancelled all flights for that day and rebooked me for the next day with similar times. I arrived at Sarasota airport next day and found out there was mechanical problems with plane and they put me in a cab to Tampa airport to get me on a flight to Atlanta to catch my connecting flight home to Moline. So-yes they did help me, but it was made quite clear that it was not an option to put me on another airline to get me home. I arrived home 28 hours later than originally planned.

This is one caution about using airlines like Airtran especially if you are flying in on the same day. It is not that they are unwilling to book you another airline they are unable. They have no reciprocal agreement with any other airline so if the your plane is having a problem or weather hits your only choice is waiting for Airtran to straighten it out.

One of the other airlines that falls into this category is Southwest. There is nothing wrong with either airline but passengers should be aware of the limitations of what the airline can do for you in case of a delay.

I'm glad I found this post.

I was kicking around the idea of visiting my parents in Florida in April, and there are some really great round trip, non-stop fares on Air Tran from Milwaukee to Orlando; $178. Now that I've read some favorable things about Air Tran, I think I'm going to book today. :)

Archived