Nervous about crime in Antigua - should I be?

torontogal70

Thanks aplmac... I think there is at times an inclination to become overly alarmist.

I think the government evaluators in Ottawa have it pegged pretty well...

As a two time driver on Antigua

I was far more concerned (rightly) about some of the molar loosening pot holes in the roads

and the deep exposed 'box' style rain gutters adjacent the roads [axle eaters]

- than about crime.

Not to say crime isn't a legitimate concern

- but I think 'moderate' is an appropriate characterization, particularly for daytime visitors.

Which is why I used italics for the various characterisations of the island problems listed by the Can.Gov't.

All you have to do is keep yer Street Smarts turned on, OK?

Despite the alluring surroundings, you're only in Paradise

- not in Heavenly Paradise...and that goes for all these islands, mine included ;)

Hi, I live in Antigua. Taxis fares are generally non-negotiable. The Ministry of Transport publishes rates. The published rate for St. John's to Carlisle Bay is $26 US for one way, with 4 people. Each additional person is 25% of $26.

Thank you!! This is exactly what I was looking for! Since you live there, is there a specific

taxi I should be looking for or avoiding? Just want to enjoy,not worry!

Can't wait to see your beautiful island.

Jan :D

Why would the cruise ships not change this port if it is so bad?? Maybe they will now??

This is really scary when you have your family with you. We are doing the sting ray swim and hope it will be ok.

After the incident with the tourists from the Victory ship I read that Carnival is "re-evaluating" Antigua as a port stop.

Rosie,

Planning our Freedom trip in April, this local newspaper article was clearly what we needed to answer our question of " How Safe" for a cruise stop.

Will now only check the ship's excursions, vs. the go-independant-and-save-money routine......THANK YOU !

Heirloom

Some of the best excursions that people write about are the ones given by the independent operators. Last year on a different Caribbean island a cruiseship tour got robbed and the tour guide was injured as well. I read some scary things about Antigua before our vacation in 2007 but I also read articles about what the government was doing to deal with the crime and prevent tourists from avoiding this wonderful island. They had a big billboard in St. John's that said"tourism is everone's business". We did not have one incident and we stayed for two weeks and visited remote beaches where at times we were the only one's there. I would not hesitate to go back or recommend it to my friends. We like to be with the islanders and that is why along with cruising we don't do AI vacations but rent a small villa or stay at a small resort and go buy groceries or eat out at the wonderful restaurants both gourmet and local.

I hope that your day in Antigua is both relaxing and enjoyable.

Karysa

Which is why I used italics for the various characterisations of the island problems listed by the Can.Gov't.

All you have to do is keep yer Street Smarts turned on, OK?

Despite the alluring surroundings, you're only in Paradise

- not in Heavenly Paradise...and that goes for all these islands, mine included ;)

Hey - Aplmac - we need the tourist dinero here in FL too! Once in while ;) our less savory locals have been known to offer hot lead souvenirs to the tourist or seasonal population... But - shh - don't tell anyone!

My research and review of the islands are that most have crime rates comparable to the city wide crime rates of many/most USA municipalities - with some cities scoring higher crime rates than 'most' of the islands (Antigua incl.) and some scoring less. [A few USA cities even have higher crime rates than Jamaica which is on the upper end of the island crime rate scale.] So - just remember that Margharitaville is a fictional place. Enjoy yourself for sure... but keep it real.

If Americans (or Europeans) don't get off the ship in Antigua, they'd be fairly shocked to learn of the myriad places in their own country they'd ban themselves from (they might not be able to leave the house!;))

• 4 weeks later...

We just returned from our 9 day cruise on NCL Jewel and Antigua was one of our stops. Although we did a ship excursion we had a couple hours before our tour to get off the ship. At the end of the pier there are several stores we shopped in and felt very safe. We did not wonder off into the city but the port area I felt comfortable. Our tour was the stingrays and it was really great.

Archived