Dawn to New England/Canada questions

flashdog_1

Not being a geography buff, and too lazy to get out an atlas, please tell me if 1) the ship passes within sight of Cape Cod and/or Provincetown when going in to Boston. I read that both towns are within an hours drive, but I don't know in what direction!

2) While on the subject of Boston, do you really get to see all the sights on the Duck Tour? Is it far to walk to get on it? Thanks

3) I read there's a free bus in Bar Harbor to Acacia Nat. Park. Anyone done this? You get it at the Village Green. Is that near the port?

4) Also, did you tender in Bar Harbor, and get a little "tour" of the harbor that way?

5) Newport, R.I. Anyone take the scenes of Newport excursion. Worth it? Oh, that is where they say you get a "tour" of the harbor on the tender.

6) Anyone go to the Moosehead factory in St John's Bay?

I'd have posted on the Canada/N.E. board but it's not busy at this time of year. Thanks so much.

We have done this trip twice but have not taken any of the tours you questioned. In Boston we arrived so early in the morning that seeing the cape would have been hard. Provincetown is at the far end of cape cod and once you get to the beginning of the cape the drive to Ptown is several hours. In Newport, the view from the ship is so awesome, I would believe that statement.

……. if 1) the ship passes within sight of Cape Cod and/or Provincetown when going in to Boston. I read that both towns are within an hours drive, but I don't know in what direction!

I have not done this cruise but I believe that the cruise ship is well out to sea as well as at night as it goes by Cape Cod, which is a peninsular jutting out into the Atlantic Ocean. P-town is one of many communties that is on Cape Cod. The only way I can visualize seeing P-town from the cruise ship would be if the cruise ship entered Cape Cod Bay.

Google maps has the time & distance from Boston to P-town at 2H 15M and 116 miles

3) I read there's a free bus in Bar Harbor to Acacia Nat. Park. Anyone done this? You get it at the Village Green. Is that near the port?

There is a free seasonal bus that serves Bar Harbor. This is a free bus, not a tour bus. There are IIRC 7 routes that serve ANP and surrouding area. The village green is about 2 blocks from the tender dock

4) Also, did you tender in Bar Harbor, and get a little "tour" of the harbor that way?

The cruise ship does tender in BH; as far as a tour of the habor, the tender route is direct from the cruise ship to the tender dock; no side trips. How much can you see from a tender filled with other paxs.

5) Newport, R.I. Anyone take the scenes of Newport excursion. Worth it? Oh, that is where they say you get a "tour" of the harbor on the tender.?

Newport is a tender port, and again the tender route is direct from the cruise ship to the tender dock; no side trips. Newport has good public transportation and is walkable, I am not sure what the scenes of Newport excursion include. Go to the Ports of Call board and do a search on Newport or search on my name for some suggestions.

Enjoy Newport & Bar Harbor, they are 2 of my favorites.

SBtS

We did this cruise on the Dawn last September so I'll help where I can.

Not being a geography buff, and too lazy to get out an atlas, please tell me if 1) the ship passes within sight of Cape Cod and/or Provincetown when going in to Boston. I read that both towns are within an hours drive, but I don't know in what direction!

Since you are cruising at night, you don't see anything. So I honestly can't say how close you get to them...never saw them.

2) While on the subject of Boston, do you really get to see all the sights on the Duck Tour? Is it far to walk to get on it? Thanks

The Duck Tour is fantastic. So is the Beantown Trolley. If you want a tour where you just get on at the beginning, do a complete tour, and then get off at the end, then take the Duck tour. However, if you want a tour where you can get on and off at will, making a whole day of it and using the trolly as both a tour bus and transportation from one place to another, then do the trolley instead.

Village Green is right near the port. However, I was told when I was planning our Bar Harbor excursions that they run limited buses during the fall. And, they evidently don't stop at all of the places you really want to see in Acadia. So, we chose to go with the Acadia Park Tour Bus. It was a wonderful trip and you pick the bus up about 1 block from where the tenders drop you.

http://www.acadiatours.com/

You do come right in the harbor on the tenders. So you get to see the harbor front and some of the houses up on the mountain etc. However, if you are interested in a great tour of the Harbor, seeing how lobster fishing is done, view a beautiful lighthouse up close and see Harbor Seals fairly close, I'd recommend;

www.lululobsterboat.com

We've toured with Capn. John twice and love him!

5) Newport, R.I. Anyone take the scenes of Newport excursion. Worth it? Oh, that is where they say you get a "tour" of the harbor on the tender.

Ummm no. I had some problems in Newport so stayed right on the ship. LOL Long, long story. :)

6) Anyone go to the Moosehead factory in St John's Bay?

Sorry no. We did a private tour of the sea caves at St. Martins. Again, for a tour, I'd highly recommend:

http://freedomtours.com/content/151140

I'd have posted on the Canada/N.E. board but it's not busy at this time of year. Thanks so much.

You're welcome. Hope I've helped a little. The Canada/NE board will pick up early this summer. You will have a wonderful time...we loved this trip!

CG

We did this same cruise last September -- and were on the same sailing with Cruisin'Gram (Hi Joyce!)

The day we were in Boston, we were flirting with Hurricane Kyle, and Boston was literally washed out for us. We had booked the Old Towne Trolley in advance, or we wouldn't have bothered going, but didn't want to waste the money. We weren't interested in getting off at any of the stops, and felt that it was quite a waste of money. We received a survey, which I filled out after returning home -- stating that we realized the weather wasn't their fault, but we wouldn't buy tickets in advance the next time around. Much to my surprise and GREAT satisfaction, they refunded the entire cost of the tour -- along with VIP passes in case we ever return. So, if you want to take one of the trolley tours, don't book in advance -- but I HIGHLY recommend the Old Towne trolley.

We also used one of the private tour buses to Acadia, as my research also indicated that the free bus wouldn't get us where we wanted to go that time of year. We went with Acadia Tours (http://www.acadiatours.com/ and were very satisfied with our tour guide and the tour itself.

In Newport, we did the Rose Island Lighthouse tour. It was wonderful! They gave us a harbor tour, cruising slowly by many of the mansions from the water side, and then we spent about an hour at Rose Island. I'd love to go back and spend a week there someday.

Now, speaking of Joyce and her adventure -- are you going to fill these poor people in?? :D

Archived