Turtle Farm Question

anothersmithgirl

I'll try a to answer a complicated question.

The turtle farm was created to be just that, a farm. They farmed turtles for the same reason a cattle "farm" raises cattle. People outside of the US eat sea turtle and I have too - it's good.

See http://www.caymanairways.com/travel-information/island-attractions/cayman-turtle-farm/

The original Cayman Turtle Farm was a project that was to raise turtle that the US would allow to be imported since the farm did not deplete, but INCREASED the wild population. Unfortunately the US government didn't buy it and with virtually no market the farm fell on hard times. (And some say, in response ,the CI refused and still refuse today to cooperate on opening banking records leaving CI a great money haven....)

Now today there is an expanded tourist operation built around the original turtle farm concept. Here's the part you might not want to hear..... People outside the US do eat turtle and I can attest that the turtle cordon-bleu I had in Grand Cayman was wonderful.

There is a strong market for turtle outside the US and this is a commercial enterprise. They DO release many to the sea. And last I heard many go to market .....

If there is evidence they have totally stopped production for food, I haven't seen it.

google cayman turtle farm

from another site....

"We went to the Turtle farm during the renovations/repairs after the hurricanes in 2005. I should have done more research, because my turtle loving son (as well as the rest of us) were so sad to see turtle on the menu at the snack bar"

And now for a:

Semi-Useless Factoid.

We learned that Male SeaTurtles are more common in the wild than female, because the Males never leave the ocean and the females return to the same beach that they were hatched on to lay their eggs, therefore they are the ones that are poached and injured etc.

Now back to your originally scheduled thread.

:p

I'm so glad I came across this thread. My mom and I had planned on going to the turtle farm. I just wasn't thinking about the word "farm." After reading this thread, and doing more research, decided we will be doing something else. Thanks!

Having been there twice and talking to 3 tourguides I was informed that the consumption of their turtles was for LOCAL consumption ONLY. They are not allowed to export the turtle. It is only a small amount that are harvested. It is their culture to consume turtle, I mean some places in the world people eat dog, it is just their way of life. While us outsiders find it wrong and terrible the fact is, is that is their culture. I believe they are only allowed to sell turtle meat on Sundays. Many schools take kids on field trips to farms...where cattle are consumed and I doubt anyone raises a fuss about that.

I am a Marine Science Major, therefore I LOVE everything that exists in our oceans, and sea turtles are one of my favorite creatures...and it does bother me to know that many in the farm will be consumed, but with the information I have gathered from the locals, I understand that it is their custom, and there are STRICT rules when it comes to sea turtle harvesting. They can not take them from the wild, and many, many turtles are released. It is still an interesting place to vist for the 30 mins it takes to walk through it, and a great place to see these beautiful creatures up close. And again, many of my friends consider me a hippy because of my love for animals so I am in no way saying that I like what happens with them, but I understand why.

Archived