Drinks prices on Solstice?

tom_uk

I posted the following question in another thread earlier today. However that thread seems to be disappearing, and in any case my question was rather tangential to the thead's topc, so I'll repeat my question here:

Can anyone tell me how much wine costs on Celebrity? Either by the glass or bottle. I understand that there is no ceiling, of course, but I'd like to know the price of ordinary, quaffable wine. I've seen pictures of one or two of the speciality menus (restaurant and Cellar Masters) and the prices did seem a bit high - not many under $10 a glass, and lots for more than that - but I haven't seen any indication of prices in the normal bars and the MDR.

Also I'm unclear how much wine is in a glass. In the UK/Europe we are used to knowing how big the glasses are. For example, in the UK wine is normally sold in two different size glasses - 175ml (a fraction less than a quarter of a bottle) and 250ml (a third of a bottle), and in any case a menu must tell you how big the measure is. How big is 'a glass' on Solstice?

I mentioned above that I recognised that there was no ceiling to the 'price of a glass of wine'. There is a floor, however, so if someone could tell me how much a glass of the house wines cost, that would be a useful piece of information.

I mentioned above that I recognised that there was no ceiling to the 'price of a glass of wine'. There is a floor, however, so if someone could tell me how much a glass of the house wines cost, that would be a useful piece of information.

A selection of bar menus from our recent sailing on Sosltice are posted at this address:

http://schplinky.smugmug.com/gallery/7327465_UEcv4

Mike

I posted the following question in another thread earlier today. However that thread seems to be disappearing, and in any case my question was rather tangential to the thead's topc, so I'll repeat my question here:

It is not required to describe the number of ounces in the pour although from time to time here in the US it is noted.

For the most part here a bottle contains 3-4 glasses of wine depending on the pour, but when purchased by the glass, it is more than likely going to the 4 glass equivalent.

5 ounces is considered the standard. Yes, you may find some places give more than that or less, but 5 ounces is the standard.

Why? Because it is poured in relation to the absoption rate of the alcohol in comparison to other alcoholic drinks like beer and hard liqour.

12 ounces of beer = 1 ounce of hard liqour = 5 ounces of wine

Remember that this is generally speaking since some wines have higher or lower alcohol content much like hard liqour and some beers.

I know this doesn't answer the price question, but I noticed you posted about the number of ounces in a pour.

I posted the following question in another thread earlier today.

In the UK/Europe we are used to knowing how big the glasses are. For example, in the UK wine is normally sold in two different size glasses - 175ml

There is a floor, however, so if someone could tell me how much a glass of the house wines cost, that would be a useful piece of information.

Hi Tom

Also being in the UK I know exactly where you're coming from / what you're getting at :cool:... how much is 4 /5 ounces ?

I think we will just get 'a glass'. However I can't imagine the ship rules are as slack as the typical bar staff in a European bar going back a few years when a spirit bottle would be liberally up-ended into the glass until he guessed the correct measure... those were the days ;)

In the UK you can buy a large glass of wine (250 ml) for around £3.50 - £4.50 ish, or you can get a small glass (175 ml) for £2.50 - £3.50 ish - note that we buy by the ML not the ounce. You can buy according to your budget / thirst. Its not hard to figure out that it's often more economical to buy the whole bottle - but if you are only after a quick quaff then a glass would probably suffice.

Hence the query about the size of measure.

Hi Tom

Also being in the UK I know exactly where you're coming from / what you're getting at :cool:... how much is 4 /5 ounces ?

I think we will just get 'a glass'. However I can't imagine the ship rules are as slack as the typical bar staff in a European bar going back a few years when a spirit bottle would be liberally up-ended into the glass until he guessed the correct measure... those were the days ;)

In the UK you can buy a large glass of wine (250 ml) for around £3.50 - £4.50 ish, or you can get a small glass (175 ml) for £2.50 - £3.50 ish - note that we buy by the ML not the ounce. You can buy according to your budget / thirst. Its not hard to figure out that it's often more economical to buy the whole bottle - but if you are only after a quick quaff then a glass would probably suffice.

Hence the query about the size of measure.

Well, we have found that every ship seems to have a bartender who "knows how to make a drink" or one that "knows how to pour". Sadly, we often find our way to these bartenders closer to end of the cruise instead of the beginning.:o

Well, we have found that every ship seems to have a bartender who "knows how to make a drink" or one that "knows how to pour". Sadly, we often find our way to these bartenders closer to end of the cruise instead of the beginning.

I remember being surprised when I was poured a malt scotch in NYC in about 2002 - very long!

I think that in Europe (well, OK, in the EU) we've got very used to being in a regulated environment. There's no legislation over the sizes of drinks, but every bar/pub/restaurant has to post a notice stating what their drinks sizes actually are (whether that's wines, spirits, fortifies wines, beers or ciders). The drinks themselves must either be poured using equipment that has been certified as being of the correct volume, or into a glass that has certified volume marks on its surface. So a spirit might be poured into an unmarked glass, but via a certified 25ml 'optic'; wine might be poured straight out of a bottle into a glass with a certified line on the side; and beer will either be served in a certified-size bottle, or (if drawn) into a standard-sized glass. Most of the actual measures are in metric units, but the UK (& Ireland, I presume) are allowed to use the traditional imperial pint and half-pint measures for beer & cider.

The reason for all this is to ensure two things:- a) that customers can be absolutely certain what they're buying, and b) I think there's also something about ensuring common procedures across the EU.

Schplinky: Any idea why access to the bar menus images is very intermittent? This evening, first I could see them, then I couldn't. What I'm getting is is the 'Smug Mug' image page but without the images....

Schplinky: Any idea why access to the bar menus images is very intermittent? This evening, first I could see them, then I couldn't. What I'm getting is is the 'Smug Mug' image page but without the images....

It could have been an issues with the smugmug site (maintenance perhaps?) as it seems to be okay now. If you still have problems, clear the cache in your web browser and try again.

Mike

Archived