Low calorie choices in the MDR

warmwinds

Oh, I have filled up on veggies, skipped the salads due to the fat in dressings, and selected some of the safe desserts. I will have oatmeal in the morning or some cereal...yea me.....how exciting is that.:o

I have also walked and walked and walked. I will be using the gym and Yoga sessions in March.

I will not avoid the Martini Bar and will drink a bottle of Pellegrino at dinner, I might switch that up with a bottle of wine. I will hope to have at least one hot dog at the pool during our cruise. Maybe even a beef burger too. With fries. But after all the veggies, I will have some steak, some chicken, some pasta some fish, and some Murano's.

I think the whole problem with weight gain while on board is that they over salt.:cool:

What can you do???

Do they still offer the (*) choices in the MDR, that are low in fat, etc.? Has anyone ever gone a whole cruise and ordered nothing but them? I'm thinking about it, but know I probably won't follow through, but it's a thought.

I'd love some insight into this as well. I've been following the Weight Watchers plan for almost 12 months now & whilst I want to enjoy my cruise I don't want to undo all the good work of weight loss I've already achieved

I totally agree with Finely Cruising... almost every prepared dish is heavily over-salted. I'm not saying that you can necessarily taste it, but it's absolutely there.

If you're concerned, order fish plain with sauce on the side (get ALL sauces and dressings on the side). Stay away from the soups, yummy as some of them are. All of the omelet stations I've seen have PAM or its equivalent available instead of butter, and you can get egg white omelets (or a mixture of half egg white/half regular scrambled egg) at your request.

Granted, we're on vacation, but it's nice to be able to pick and choose that on which you 'splurge!'

I've been wondering about deserts.........

On my last cruise I was so good and had fresh fruit for desert almost every night. On the few Celebrity menus I've perused I didn't see that as an option. Might it be an "off menu" option?

Barbara

I've been wondering about deserts.........

On my last cruise I was so good and had fresh fruit for desert almost every night. On the few Celebrity menus I've perused I didn't see that as an option. Might it be an "off menu" option?

Barbara

I thought I read somewhere...maybe on Celebrity website? that there is a "healthy options" menu. Does anyone have experience with this? Does the waiter offer it every night or just if you ask for it?

I'll be most interested in any replies. It seems on the menus I've seem there were "low calorie" options but unfortunately when it comes to deserts that often means artificial sweetners :cool:

Anyone order fruit or cheese for desert?

Barbara

I'm with you .... ordered fresh berries every night for dessert. Celebrity also has a low salt diet option that can be requested in advance of the cruise or on the ship. Each night I chose my selection for the next day from the asst. maitre'd, the items were specially prepared without salt, although some could not be done because of prepared sauces. Had the best low salt seafood gumbo ever, something that is usually heavily salted. Have done this on several cruises and been very impressed with the service. When the lunch dining room was open on sea days, was able to preselect the lunch also.

This thread is very dear to my heart. I lost about 112 lbs 12 years ago and have managed to keep it off. The big thing for me was to break the link between over eating on vacation and enjoying myself. So, for what it's worth, my tips are:

1) stay away from Carbs - bread, pasta, potatos, rice, cakes, cookies etc

2) Fruit for breakfast with a glass of prune juice and maybe some sliced turkey if you can stomach it!

3) Salad for lunch with some chicken

4) No afternoon tea

5) Healthy choice for dinner sometimes from the healthy options, othersie chicken or fish, sometimes a steak - but no carbs and a salad on the side.

6) Any dessert I fancy

7) as much wine and martini as I can possibly fit inside me!!!

8) Gym every day for 30 mins full on work out

9) Late night buffet a couple of times but just chicken and salad etc.

I manage to maintain my weight always and yes, to some this may seem like a waste of vacation, but as I said - after years of trying, food is no longer the big attraction for cruising for me. Trust me, you'll enjoy yourself just as much without over-doing it.

Gary

Gary,

I like the way you have made the world of food work for you!

I have different motivions and different approaches but hopefully we'll both end up in the same place :cool:

I'd trade any potato for almost any desert :rolleyes: and I have to watch that I don't have too many cold vegetable (ie: salads) during the winter but I expect it'll be warm enough in April and I do love fresh produce that someone else has done all the work to!

Barbara

My standard cruise breakfast is fresh melon or pineapple, followed by smoked salmon on a toasted bagel. It helps me if I start off the day without a heavy breakfast. I order some of the lighter dishes for lunch--but occasionally will go for something more substantial. I will eat a piece of pizza or sushi late in the afternoon since we always have late seating for dinner. And fresh fruit for dessert unless creme brulee or something else wicked is on the menu that night.

I'm with you .... ordered fresh berries every night for dessert. Celebrity also has a low salt diet option that can be requested in advance of the cruise or on the ship. Each night I chose my selection for the next day from the asst. maitre'd, the items were specially prepared without salt, although some could not be done because of prepared sauces. Had the best low salt seafood gumbo ever, something that is usually heavily salted. Have done this on several cruises and been very impressed with the service. When the lunch dining room was open on sea days, was able to preselect the lunch also.

I am curious about the low salt diet option.

On our last cruise on the Mercury, I requested a low-sodiurm meal request with our booking. I did not receive any pre-selection advice the night before--ever. Both the asst. maitre'd and wait-staff were aware of the special request as I was approached the first evening in the dining room. In the end, I felt it was not worth my effort to try and "pick" something that "might" be suitable off the menu as this is what I had to do each evening.

Should I give it another try and make another request for a low-sodium meal request?

Sandy

I sent an email to the special needs dept. on Celebrity as I did on RCCL. I was told to meet with the Maitre'D (Spelling?) the first day there. On RCCL they couldn't be more helpful.

I hope Celebrity is the same. In my email I stated that this is a medical necessity, as it as. Hopefully chefs will one day take this low sodium requirement aa serious as diabetes and food allergies, especially since heart disease is the number one killer of people in America. One time I requested the lowest possible sodium meal at a very high end restuarant and the wait person rolled her eyes big time. I wanted to smack her but refrained. A couple of hints. Be very careful with lunch and breakfast and it gives you a little more freedom with dinner. Also I use olive oil on my bread instead of butter (no Sodium) at dinner and also use that oil with Balsamic vinegar for dressing. On my last cruise they brought me my own bottles and kept them for me all week at the table. Good luck Happy cruising.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I have always done the oil & vinegar "trick" and that has always worked for me. As well, breakfast and lunch have never been much of an issue as I can "control" what I put into my mouth.........NF yogurt/all bran/fruit and by having a "build my own salad" at lunch that always seems to work!

It is always the main dining room that I have experienced difficulties with, even with a "special dietary request". My TA has placed a request and I should be okay as we are sailing outside the 40 day deadline that Celebrity states for special requests to be made.

I'm going to give it another try.

Thanks for your encouragement.

Sandy

Archived