Salmon Bake?

KAWS

I've read a few places that the Gold Creek Salmon Bake might not be the best choice to go to and not worth the $$ to go.

Can anyone confirm this one way or the other? I realize it's going to be on the touristy side, and that is ok - we are tourists after all!! ;)

I just wanted some reviews of this excursion (event) if possible.

Thanks.

We did the salmon bake the first time we went to Alaska. My feeling is - we didn't know better and thought it was good. Now, after being to Alaska 3 times, I wouldn't consider it.

As I recall, the food was okay/good. There was a trail that led to a waterfall, but most people didn't even walk back there, we were there by ourselves. In my opinion, you are paying a premium price when you could get a much better meal for a little less at one of the good restaurants in Juneau - like The Twisted Fish, or if you are walking around Juneau near the library, there used to be a King Crab Shack where you could get a HUGE king crab leg for half of what the salmon bake costs.

Personally, I would spend the time seeing/doing something else in Juneau and stopping at one of the restaurants rather than spending the money and time at the Salmon Bake. Mind you, this is only my opinion.

OOOOOOHHHHH....this is not good!! We just booked the gold panning and salmon bake thru Carnival yesterday. Have read quite a few reviews on both, some good, and some not so good, but this last one is worst of all. Now we have to decide if we are going to try to cancel and do something else. I have the link for Twisted Fish, and they do sound good, but you'll spend more than the total of the excursion. I realize the Salmon bake is more of a picnic type event, and yes, touristy, maybe a bit hokey, but it seems like all in all one of the main advantages of that in itself is it is different. Thats what we are looking for in our excursions, each one being as different from another as possible. We almost booked an evening whale watch after the photo safari, and realized, after recieving a nice e-mail, that the photo safari would probably satisfy our curiosity about a whale watch, plus give us plenty of photo's. Sorry, I got off topic there. Just giving an example. So, if there are any more opinions on the samon bake, y'all help out a couple southern girls, pleeeaaasseee?

We did the salmon bake the first time we went to Alaska. My feeling is - we didn't know better and thought it was good. Now, after being to Alaska 3 times, I wouldn't consider it.

As I recall, the food was okay/good. There was a trail that led to a waterfall, but most people didn't even walk back there, we were there by ourselves. In my opinion, you are paying a premium price when you could get a much better meal for a little less at one of the good restaurants in Juneau - like The Twisted Fish, or if you are walking around Juneau near the library, there used to be a King Crab Shack where you could get a HUGE king crab leg for half of what the salmon bake costs.

Personally, I would spend the time seeing/doing something else in Juneau and stopping at one of the restaurants rather than spending the money and time at the Salmon Bake. Mind you, this is only my opinion.

DH was really interested in the GCSB but after much discussion we both decided to NOT do it for the very reason 007 mentions. We would much rather walk the town, do some things on our own, and eat at a good restaurant. However, what might be salt to one may be sugar to another. If you don't go, you won't know. KrogerLady, I say go for it and if you don't like it you'll know better next time. As well, you'll be able to post your experience for future Alaska goers. That in itself is priceless when you think of the number of people who value these boards

Okay, cruisers, here's the hot tip on good eats in Juneau. Tracy's Crab Shack, right by the docks behind the library. It is truly a pull down kisock, but the crab is caught fresh every day by Tracy. I haven't been there, but according to Trip Advisor, it's the best place in town. We are going there after our whale watch with Marv & Harv.......check it out! Yummm:D

http://www.kingcrabshack.com/

Archived