Traffic jams

Bus break downs

Drivers not showing up for work

More pax flying in so the bus waits to fill

To gas up the busses

No backup of traffic at the port

etc.

In Orlando, or do they.

Oh, and maybe Rccl should dig a trench to get the ships closer to the airport to shorten the bus ride.

Ok that was funny

Laura

To the poster who said that their air and transfers were cheaper, I didn't find that to be the case when we were booking ours. I checked on purchasing the air myself, but RCI's price for custom air and transfers was better than I could get. Plus, because of my schedule, we were unable to fly in a day early and leave a day late this time.

In light of the above, my suggestion would not work for OP; however, it might for others.

I use Priceline to bid for air and precruise hotel. I would not do it if I had to fly in the day of the cruise, but going in the day before, it doesn't matter to me what time the flight arrives--as long as it is the day before. I have never been disappointed, and the price is great. Much nicer hotels than we can afford otherwise (or rather, than we choose to pay).

The OP makes a point though. If RCCL says in their advertisement that they depart every 30 minutes then why do they let people wait 2+ hours. May be the word "screwed" is a bit too harsh, but come on she paid for the transportation.

My husband and I would have taken a shuttle. There is no way we would have waited that long, but that is besides the point.

I agree that the OP did not get what was advertised and can understand the frustration but I would have asked for my bags back and taken a cab. Then deal with trying to get a refund on the transfers when you get back.

Glad you enjoyed the cruise though. But I would NOT let this keep me from cruising RCL again. Next time you know what to do and should have a totally enjoyable cruise. :)

Congrats, you have learned that the transfers really suck and after only five cruises. I think it took me about eight before I finally figured it out.:o (last straw... 1 hour and 20 minutes to get from Port Everglades to FLL if you can believe it) If you REALLY do like Royal Caribbean Cruise Line then don't let that one bad experience stop you from vacationing with them... all other transfers are the same anyway. Just book your own fights and make your way to the port on your own. You'll find it's a lot more fun and you'll get more time on the ship.:)

We have thought about making it to the port on our own as well. I know about getting the cab and all that but how do you assure that your luggage gets on board and to the right ship? Do the cabbies know which ship is where and they take you right to it? We have had good luck with transfers but there have been a few times where we wanted to get to the port early.

Our first cruise on RCL (last year) - we had the transfers and actually got the port EARLY and had to wait a few minutes to board.

Thanks in advance for advice.

We just returned from a 2/13 three night Bahamas cruise on Monarch. So, we just missed a good part of the first day. Does RCI even care?

We have been very loyal RCI C&A members, but are seriously considering another cruise line for our next cruise. Besides all the problems with RCI's website, including cruise history, etc., it just gets old.

:(

I'm amazed that I didn't read one "Thanks for the heads up!" as opposed to people seemingly condoning this, before having to stop reading.

Of course, this is all your fault. :rolleyes: Or so they make you seem.

We have thought about making it to the port on our own as well. I know about getting the cab and all that but how do you assure that your luggage gets on board and to the right ship? Do the cabbies know which ship is where and they take you right to it? We have had good luck with transfers but there have been a few times where we wanted to get to the port early.

Our first cruise on RCL (last year) - we had the transfers and actually got the port EARLY and had to wait a few minutes to board.

Thanks in advance for advice.

When using a cab to get to the ship, my experience has been: 1) I tell cabbie the name of the ship and cruise line; 2) cabbie takes us directly to the entrance to the terminal; 3) Bags are unloaded by cabbie, tip cabbie (I have already placed 2 identical luggage tags on each piece in different locations) and given direct to a porter, tip porter; 4) I watch bags being taken to the loading area. 5)Have kept 1 carryon bag each for essentials and use until checkin bags arrive; 6) Check in using preprinted checkin done online usually takes 5 minutes or less; 7) Onboard usually by 12:30pm, go directly to Windjammer.

I have never had a problem using this procedure that I can recall. Hope it may help someone.

When using a cab to get to the ship, my experience has been: 1) I tell cabbie the name of the ship and cruise line; 2) cabbie takes us directly to the entrance to the terminal; 3) Bags are unloaded by cabbie, tip cabbie (I have already placed 2 identical luggage tags on each piece in different locations) and given direct to a porter, tip porter; 4) I watch bags being taken to the loading area. 5)Have kept 1 carryon bag each for essentials and use until checkin bags arrive; 6) Check in using preprinted checkin done online usually takes 5 minutes or less; 7) Onboard usually by 12:30pm, go directly to Windjammer.

I have never had a problem using this procedure that I can recall. Hope it may help someone.

Thanks, maybe we will give it a try next year for our next cruise. We will live "dangerously". :) I appreciate the info.

I think it shows what happens when you let someone else do your planning for you. :D

jc

I've been keeping up with this thread for the past few days and I had no intention of posting because I have zero experience with getting air/transfers booked through a cruiseline, but here it goes: I would probably be pretty annoyed too if I were the in the OP's situation. Waiting sucks in the first place, especially when you have preconceived expectations and when you REALLY want to be somewhere better! This experience would be a good reason to make an extra effort in the future to book one's own transportation, though you can get some nasty delays that way too! When things don't go your way when traveling, there's not much you can do, but try to stay positive!

Additionally, I just have to say that right when I thought I was through with this topic, these links perked my interest a little more...

I'm amazed that I didn't read one "Thanks for the heads up!" as opposed to people seemingly condoning this, before having to stop reading.

Of course, this is all your fault. :rolleyes: Or so they make you seem.

Isn't that the truth! I agree with you..

We have always booked our own flights. At the beginning, we didn't know any better, but having now had a few cruises worth of experience, we wouldn't do it any other way. If you book yourself, you can most often book cheaper. You can also get the arrangements you want. Also, sometimes if the price drops, RCI won't reduce your cruise price if you booked air and it has increased. So it gives you more flexibility with the cruise portion of the trip as well.

We have always made our own way to the ship and dropped our bags off with the porters. It has never even occurred to me that there is an increased risk of bags being lost. We are usually in sight of the ship. The porters clearly know what ship is which and the tags are clearly marked. I understand mistakes can be made, but so can mistakes be made with the RCI arranged shuttles. It seems like a really poor reason to suffer through RCI's shuttle service [which you have already decided you hate] just to reduce the risk of a lost bag. I don't see any meaningful risk in the first place.

As my dear departed grandmother often said, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

We have always booked our own flights. At the beginning, we didn't know any better, but having now had a few cruises worth of experience, we wouldn't do it any other way. If you book yourself, you can most often book cheaper. You can also get the arrangements you want. Also, sometimes if the price drops, RCI won't reduce your cruise price if you booked air and it has increased. So it gives you more flexibility with the cruise portion of the trip as well.

We have always made our own way to the ship and dropped our bags off with the porters. It has never even occurred to me that there is an increased risk of bags being lost. We are usually in sight of the ship. The porters clearly know what ship is which and the tags are clearly marked. I understand mistakes can be made, but so can mistakes be made with the RCI arranged shuttles. It seems like a really poor reason to suffer through RCI's shuttle service [which you have already decided you hate] just to reduce the risk of a lost bag. I don't see any meaningful risk in the first place.

The only time we used RCL shuttle / transfer with a precruise RCL hotel, our bags were left at the hotel in San Diego, and we were onboard to Hawaii without our checked bags!!!

However, that was a rather complicated schedule, we had to depart from Ensenada, etc. so Murphy's Law evidently kicked in: "What can go wrong, will go wrong!"

Fortunately, RCL was great with their compensation / support and everything turned out well.

I always try and plan for these kinds of things just in case.:)

We just returned from a 2/13 three night Bahamas cruise on Monarch. The cruise in itself was actually pretty good.

But...here's what happened on the first day...

We arrived at the Orlando Airport around 12:40 (via RCI arranged custom air). By the time we walked to baggage claim and retrieved our luggage, it was about 12:55. We immediately connected with a very elderly RCI lady who steered us down the hall to meet an elderly RCI gentleman, who directed us to the RCI desk.

Once at the desk, they took our information and put on our luggage tags. The lady nodded her head, and said, "Go over there and wait for the bus." (Our RCI transfers were included in our price for air).

In advertisements, they say, "buses departing every 30 minutes to an hour". So, expecting the bus any minute, I said, "How long do you think it will be?" She said, "Oh, about 2:45."

2:45? My gosh, that was an hour and 45 minutes! Plus, with a 45 minute drive to the pier, our afternoon on ship would be non-existent.

Trying to accept it, I said, "Well, can we leave our luggage with you and go have lunch?" Of course, that wasn't acceptable, so we could either drag our luggage to lunch with us or just sit there and wait.

2;45 finally arrived and no bus. Around 2:55, a bus rolls in and we are taken to the bus. After everyone boards and luggage is loaded, the driver and the 2/3 RCI folks stand around and shoot the bull, just hanging out. Around 3:10, the driver finally gets on the bus.

Of course, it's almost 4:00 before we arrive at the pier. Then, being platinum members earns us no advantage in the line, since there isn't much of one at this point. We check in, and just as we get to our cabin, the muster drill begins. We threw our carryon luggage into our state room and headed for the muster drill.

So, needless to say, we lost an entire afternoon (pool, buffet, etc.) of our cruise. Others had been on the ship since 11 AM. For a 3 night cruise, this really cut into it.

I don't know if RCI has cut back on their bus transfer service between Orlando and Port Canaveral, but this past Friday was really POOR.

On the cruise, the food and entertainment was fairly good, didn't really have any complaints. So, we just missed a good part of the first day. Does RCI even care?

We have been very loyal RCI C&A members, but are seriously considering another cruise line for our next cruise. Besides all the problems with RCI's website, including cruise history, etc., it just gets old.

:(

I am confused. From Orlando Airport to Port Canaveral is a three-hour, 216 mile trip. So you didn't sail from Port Canaveral. If you had, RCI would have flown you into Fort Lauderdale, which is only five minutes from Port Canaveral. You must have sailed out of Orlando, right???

However, they are only required to get you on to the ship on time, and they did. By their reckoning the cruise begins when you are onboard and muster drill is over.

Fran in Toronto

I am confused. From Orlando Airport to Port Canaveral is a three-hour, 216 mile trip. So you didn't sail from Port Canaveral. If you had, RCI would have flown you into Fort Lauderdale, which is only five minutes from Port Canaveral. You must have sailed out of Orlando, right???

However, they are only required to get you on to the ship on time, and they did. By their reckoning the cruise begins when you are onboard and muster drill is over.

Fran in Toronto

Let me try to help with your confusion. You have to fly into Orlando to get to Port Canaveral where their ship left. Flying into Ft. Lauderdale, the cruise port is right there 5 minutes from the airport. Orlando is landlocked so no sailing out of Orlando.

And I'm glad the OP warned us of the transfer troubles - it saves alot of us from thinking about taking it.

Fran in Toronto

I just unconfused myself - it's Friday in a long week. You are talking about Port Canaveral, not Port Everglades, d'oh!!!!:eek:

I wondered about going in the day before. We always do now - just because we are worried that something like that might happen. My friends in Atlanta generally do the drive to Florida the day before and stay in a hotel, to avoid such hassles, especially getting out of Orlando and to Canaveral. Here in Toronto, trying to fly in the same day is just too risky.

Sorry you had such an experience though. Tiring and draining.

Fran in Toronto

The OP flew into Orlando because they sailing out of Port Canveral.

It seems as if the OP will never learn his lesson.

I will never book RC air and transp. I feel more comfortable doing myself. And if I had gotten burn't not once but twice, I know for sure that I would be booking everything myself. Regardless of any guarantees that RC might promise.

The OP flew into Orlando because they sailing out of Port Canveral.

It seems as if the OP will never learn his lesson.

I will never book RC air and transp. I feel more comfortable doing myself. And if I had gotten burn't not once but twice, I know for sure that I would be booking everything myself. Regardless of any guarantees that RC might promise.

And hopefully y'all will forgive some of us Canucks for not being totally up on where everything is.

On the January cruise I took RCI hotel and transfer - and it worked well, and they came on time and we got on the ship with hours to spare. It was Panama City and they were well organised I have to say. But we booked our own airfare down, and went early to avoid a winter storm. You can't change flights that easily with RCI.

Fran

Thanks, I will definitely take YOUR advice. I don't think I'll sail out of Canaveral again. Miami sounds like a much better option.

:)

Okay, so sorry to the OP. I had mentioned why not just hop into a cab. I absolutely did NOT realize you were in Orlando....guess a cab was not an option as it would have been quite pricey.

I went back and re-read your post and see clearly now that you said Orlando.

UGH...glad it is Friday.

And hopefully y'all will forgive some of us Canucks for not being totally up on where everything is.

On the January cruise I took RCI hotel and transfer - and it worked well, and they came on time and we got on the ship with hours to spare. It was Panama City and they were well organised I have to say. But we booked our own airfare down, and went early to avoid a winter storm. You can't change flights that easily with RCI.

Fran

Fran, it's okay...I didn't even notice the OP said Orlando. I have no excuse other than I read the post too fast. :)

Archived