Info on Megan's Beach in Caribbean

lastminutecruiser

I either read somewhere or heard from someone recently that Megan's Beach is a wonderful beach for walking out to snorkel. DH is not a great swimmer. I want to snorkel some in shallow water but must stay close to him. My ports are St.Johns, Phillipsburg, Bridgetown and Castries. Does anyone know if Megan's Beach is in one of these ports. Or, any info on walkout beach excursions for the novice snorkel crowd?? Thanks.

We were in Bridgetown, Barbados last November and wanted to snorkel at Folkstone Park. It is on the west coast and apparently you can access the snorkeling from the land. We did go but the visibility was so poor due to the weather that they recommended we not waste our time. We took a taxi from the pier, sorry I don't remember how much but I do know it wasn't extravagant because we were debating on taking the bus at $1.00 US and decided on the taxi instead.

We are headed back in December and plan to try again.

Lastminutecruiser:

I just came back from my cruise and did a little snorkelling at Megan's Bay. I wasn't impressed. Saw a few coral and a maybe a few fish, but nothing impressive. Good views for snorkelling are not going to be within walking distance of the shore. It is best to book an excursion for that purpose. They know where to take you for the sights. It's worth the money.

Thanks for the info everyone. Any one have suggestions on excursions that might have decent snorkeling from a sea craft?? My ports are Bridgetown, Phillipsburg, St Johns and Castries. We are novice snorkelers but from what I hear the group excursions are pretty tame. Any chance with that many people going into the water at once that we can actually see some sea life???

If you look on the Barbados board you will see many recommendations.

In Castries my father took a catamaran to the Pitons and on the way back they snorkeled. He said it was beautiful. This was an excursion from the ship. He also had plenty to drink,lol.

• 2 weeks later...

The place to snorkle in shal water on St Thomas is Coki Beach. There are huge schools of fish. They come swimming by as soon as someone puts the dog biscuit which you get when you rent masks there in the water. We were there last year and will be going back next month. It's also a beautiful view with rollling green hills enclosing part of the bay.

• 5 years later...

Can anyone tell me if you can have a good time snorkeling just by walking out (from beach) on St. Thomas' (Magens, Coki, Sapphire) or St. John's Trunk beaches. I don't want to pay high costs of cruise ship exersions if I can just take a taxi to the beach and back to ship/pier.

Archived