A Question For Past Gems Of The Baltics Pax

spcl4cs_gal

How important is it to have a balcony cabin for this cruise? Or is it even that important? Thanks.
IMO, somewhat less important than on a warmer itinerary. We liked to go out on the balcony early in the morning when arriving at ports, and sometimes in the evening when leaving ports. You should be out on some deck when going through the Stockholm archipelago, but it doesn't have to be your own balcony. However, we went to the Baltic in early Sep, and it was a little too chilly to sit out on the balcony for very long on sea days. When we were out there we saw more ships than in the Mediterranean or Caribbean.

Agree with previous poster. We had our first balcony on this cruise, late Aug./early Sept. Really too chilly to spendmuch time out, especially in early morning coming into port. And a lot of the interesting ships you see are cruise ferries. They are all over the Baltic, as well as the Med., with the same amenities as cruise ships (although the cabins are much smaller). EM

Thanks for the replies. I did a summer land vacation of Sweden and Norway a few years ago and did enough floating through the Stockholm archipelago for a lifetime. I was curious about the ports in Estonia, Finland and Russia...is there more to see off the ship than sailing into port in the morning?

I was curious about the ports in Estonia, Finland and Russia...is there more to see off the ship than sailing into port in the morning?
That depends on your luck, somewhat ... which side of the ship happens to be dockside. We had a port cabin, and weren't lucky. In Tallinn we had a view of another ship across the dock, and in Helsinki some unattractive buildings. The absolute worst was St Petersburg. We docked in an totally ugly industrial port area. There the best thing we could see was a Costa ship at another dock. I'd say our best port views were in Warnemunde, where we faced the town, and in Stockholm where we could see Gamlastan.

Hello, we will travel with the Eurodam in August in the cruise “the Gems of the Baltic”.

I don’t know if it's the same cruise that you are planning to do. We will leave Copenhagen the first of August.

:) Manresa

Costa Mágica 2007 Fiordos Noruegos

Costa Serena 2008 Venecia a Estambul

Hal Eurodam 2009 Gemas del Báltico

Hello, we will travel with the Eurodam in August in the cruise “the Gems of the Baltic”.

I don’t know if it's the same cruise that you are planning to do. We will leave Copenhagen the first of August.

:) Manresa

Costa Mágica 2007 Fiordos Noruegos

Costa Serena 2008 Venecia a Estambul

Hal Eurodam 2009 Gemas del Báltico

Hello Manresa,

If you go to the Holland America rollcall section they have a thread for that cruise. We will be on the August 1st sailing also.

Welcome

Archived