Puerto Vallarta - Book Excursion at Pier?

PCruzer

We've been there several times. Why not just take a bus into the old downtown area, which is fairly charming. You will also find NUMEROUS cabs that will take you anywhere you want to go; but, the THRIFTY (and, I think more fun) option, is to just walk out to the main road (divided), which is about a long block from the cruise dock, and just get on one of the buses marked "centro" or "malecon." It's about three miles from the dock to the malecon. The fare is 5 or 5.5 pesos. They are most happy to take US dollars also. You might not get the exact current exchange; but, they will probably take two persons for one US dollar.

Get off the bus when it gets to the downtown area, which is where the old church is, near the plaza, before you cross the river bridge. Just walk around. They have numerous art galleries, the (tourist trap) Senor Frogs, a military museum, the indians that descend from the rotating tower while suspended from ropes tied to their legs, restaurants, etc. You will pass several resort hotels along the beach, most of which you can visit on a day pass if you wish (or, just walk along the beach and sit on one of the recliners on the beach). We enjoy walking up one of the VERY steep streets, which reveals lovely homes and inns. We've also discovered wonderfully cheap and good internet cafes and a Spanish tapa restaurant.

When you have had enough of being a tourist, catch the return bus marked "Walmart of Sams Club," as those stores are literally across the mail divided coastal road from the cruise dock.

I'm not PCruzer, but that sounds just what I would like to do in PV. You make it sound pretty easy. Will I have any trouble with the language, to explain in English where I want to get off the bus? What is the name of the old church? I saw pictures of that area on You Tube, just didn't know how to get there. Thanks for the info.

Anyone who has been to Puerto Vallarta - Can you book independent excursions at the pier? Are there any whale watch excursions?

Yes, you can. Don't know about whales though. There was a covered table marked "hospitality" or something like that as soon as you get off the boat. They have almost all the excursions available right there. For $25pp my wife and I got into a newer 12 passenger van with 3 other couples for a 4 hour tour thru town into the jungle and back.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm not PCruzer, but that sounds just what I would like to do in PV. You make it sound pretty easy. Will I have any trouble with the language, to explain in English where I want to get off the bus? What is the name of the old church? I saw pictures of that area on You Tube, just didn't know how to get there. Thanks for the info.

It's very easy. Just keep in mind that the "old town" area is about three miles away from the dock, and that the bus will be marked "centro." ("The center of town). There will be lots of tourists in the general area. You will see the old church from just walking around. The main street is only a block or two from the beach/shoreline. The shore will be on your right side as the bus goes from the dock area to the "centro" area. Coming back to the ship, just catch any bus marked "Sam's Club" or "Walmart." The bus driver will probably give you a shout when you get near the dock area. Also, you will have no problem seeing the cruise ships and Walmart, which is almost directly across the highway from the dock. For the bus fare, if you don't have any pesos, just hand the guy one dollar for two people. You will probably get change in pesos. Keep in mind that Puerta Vallarta is loaded with expats and tourists. You can't go very wrong without trying very hard to be stupid. You will see plenty of gringos at Walmart or Sam's Club.

here's a few recent pics of the pier terminal area. Seems folks have good luck arranging tours from advise from here, and yes there are many tour operators waiting to wisk you away if you choose. That's what all those vans in the parking lot are for.

IMG_9286.jpg

IMG_9302.jpg

IMG%5D

we don't whale watch, but PV is a large bay, and it would seem that whales like ocean better, so Mazatlan or Cabo are better for whales, and Whales typically travel together and are best seen in certain places, at certain times of the year as they migrate. Neither of which we keep track of, but there are lots of folks here that do

we don't whale watch, but PV is a large bay, and it would seem that whales like ocean better, so Mazatlan or Cabo are better for whales, and Whales typically travel together and are best seen in certain places, at certain times of the year as they migrate. Neither of which we keep track of, but there are lots of folks here that do

I cannot totally agree with this.

The bay of Puerto vallarta is 2nd largest in the world, so it is wide and almost like the sea.

In the mornings the water of the bay can be very quiet and that makes viewing of (humback)whales very pleasant.

There are shallow and also deep waters which the animals can choose.

This year we have seen many of them around.

Archived