Philly to New York

carnival lover

Hi all... Dh and I were hoping to hop on a quick cruise before he leaves for another six month deployment to Iraq.

We were looking at the Miracle on April 16th. We were going to drop off the kiddies at grandparents in philly and then make our way to NY. We have never been to NY and are a little worried about driving downtown and don't want to pay 30 to park per day.... Mapquest says it should be about a 2 hour drive to the port, but I know with traffic and stuff you never know.

Any alternatives???

By the way we are driving down to Philly from Maine.

Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated!!!

Thanks~~~~

Hi all... Dh and I were hoping to hop on a quick cruise before he leaves for another six month deployment to Iraq.

We were looking at the Miracle on April 16th. We were going to drop off the kiddies at grandparents in philly and then make our way to NY. We have never been to NY and are a little worried about driving downtown and don't want to pay 30 to park per day.... Mapquest says it should be about a 2 hour drive to the port, but I know with traffic and stuff you never know.

Any alternatives???

By the way we are driving down to Philly from Maine.

Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated!!!

Thanks~~~~

My nephew goes to college in Philly. He takes Amtrak. This leaves you at Penn Station and then it is a short taxi ride to the pier. You might get a military discount with Amtrak. Did you get the military discount with Carnival? Enjoy and tell your hubby Thank you and God Bless America.

I would leave the car at grandma's and take amtrak as well......you really don't want to drive in NYC....

Just don't overpack.......(although you should be able to get redcap service in both 30th street and NY Penn....)

The North East Corridor regional trains have a good on time schedule....just give yourself a cushion-you never know.....

You can also take Acela (the 'high speed" train) but it can be much more expensive.....

have your family drop you at 30th street station...it's very easy to get to.....(meaning I got there without getting lost!)

Amtrak is faster from Philly to NY, but..... Septa and NJ Transit are a lot cheaper.

I'm seeing Amtrak at 8:30 am for $64/pp less a 10% military discount. This take 1 1/2 hours.

Septa/NJ Transit leaves at 8:52 and arrives at 11:00 am with a connection at Trenton (this is a good across the platform they hold the train for you connection). This costs $9/pp Philly to Trenton and $12.50 Trenton to NY. It's a local, but it does the trick and it runs all the time - no reservation required like with Amtrak.

Check with your travel agent or with Carnival about bus transportation to the ship. Last summer when we took a Princess cruise out of NY we booked bus transport with princess from Philly to NY and back and it was great. The bus left from a parking lot near the Airport and from the time we left until we got back we did not have to hassle with luggage or anything. I hope Carnival has the same deal. It was the cheapest and best alternative. Good luck

Amtrak is faster from Philly to NY, but..... Septa and NJ Transit are a lot cheaper.

I'm seeing Amtrak at 8:30 am for $64/pp less a 10% military discount. This take 1 1/2 hours.

Septa/NJ Transit leaves at 8:52 and arrives at 11:00 am with a connection at Trenton (this is a good across the platform they hold the train for you connection). This costs $9/pp Philly to Trenton and $12.50 Trenton to NY. It's a local, but it does the trick and it runs all the time - no reservation required like with Amtrak.

BUT the SEPTA/NJ Transit trains are a PITA with luggage...and, even though i am FROM trenton...you DO NOT want to change trains there...they just redid the place, and it isn't BAD, but really....if you can skip it....SKIP IT!

Come on, Meg. Have you actually made the trip from Philadelphia and changed trains at Trenton for NY? I never had until several years ago and I was impressed. I fly Manchester NH to Philly, airport train to 30th St, 30th St to Trenton, and Trenton to Princeton Junction. The only catch is at 30th St you need to use the Septa ticket machines to buy a ticket to Trenton and the NJ Transit machines to buy a ticket Trenton to NY. Otherwise you are trying to buy the ticket quickly on the Trenton platform while the train is waiting to leave for NY. The schedules are coordinated, which they never used to be.

This is a major way for folks to get to NY. Yes - these are commuter trains, not Amtrak trains, but they cost $21.50, not $60. For the OP this is a savings of $160, which she may like to use for some drinks or excursions on the cruise. They are not traveling at rush hour, so there should be room to put the luggage. Taking your luggage across the platform at Trenton is an easy transfer. The bus suggestion is an even cheaper alternative which they should look into. The only risk is getting caught in NJ turnpike or Lincoln tunnel traffic.

Come on, Meg. Have you actually made the trip from Philadelphia and changed trains at Trenton for NY? I never had until several years ago and I was impressed. I fly Manchester NH to Philly, airport train to 30th St, 30th St to Trenton, and Trenton to Princeton Junction. The only catch is at 30th St you need to use the Septa ticket machines to buy a ticket to Trenton and the NJ Transit machines to buy a ticket Trenton to NY. Otherwise you are trying to buy the ticket quickly on the Trenton platform while the train is waiting to leave for NY. The schedules are coordinated, which they never used to be.

This is a major way for folks to get to NY. Yes - these are commuter trains, not Amtrak trains, but they cost $21.50, not $60. For the OP this is a savings of $160, which she may like to use for some drinks or excursions on the cruise. They are not traveling at rush hour, so there should be room to put the luggage. Taking your luggage across the platform at Trenton is an easy transfer. The bus suggestion is an even cheaper alternative which they should look into. The only risk is getting caught in NJ turnpike or Lincoln tunnel traffic.

I have on several occasions (going in reverse).....yes it is a savings, and yes, it is probably OK in broad daylight, but with all due respect carol you no longer live here (yes your family does)..i do.....that is NOT the safest place in the world to be......again since the construction is done, it is probably easy.....but yes, i HAVE done it.....i live in the area, my best friend lives a couple blocks away....and when i NEED to go there, HE goes with me as protection. Trenton is not what it used to be........

Chances of getting in to trouble are 50/50 and i am being honest. It isn't BAD, but it isn't great and SEPTA is a bigger PITA with even ONE small suitcase than NJ transit. At least NJTs conductors will help wth luggage..the SEPTA people whom i have come in contact with on several occasions have, well, tunnel vision.

Archived