Flybe Airlines- Southampton to Dublin, Ireland

gamomluvs2cruise

Has anyone used Flybe out of Southampton. I'm trying to book a flight from Southamton to Atlanta. The best airfare begins with flying from Southampton to Dublin, then multiple airlines for the second and third leg.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Southampton airport is very small; but the London airports are only about 70 miles away. You might want to consider flying LGW/London Gatwick or LHR/London Heathrow -> Atlanta. It will take you longer to get to the airport, but you'll save changing planes.

Has anyone used Flybe out of Southampton. I'm trying to book a flight from Southamton to Atlanta. The best airfare begins with flying from Southampton to Dublin, then multiple airlines for the second and third leg.

I wouldn't use them if time is an issue. We took that same flight after sailing a transatlantic on QE2 to spend a few days in Dublin before flying home, so there was no risk, and we had no problems. However, last April when we spent 4 days in Paris between transatlantics, we took Air France to ensure not missing the ship.

Could you provide more quantitative statistics why you feel this way? Looking at FlightStats, Flybe is deemed to fly late 8% of the time (systemwide), while Air France flies late 12% of the time.

It was based on my own experience. When we have flown out of SOU I've noticed the flybe flights to be delayed more frequently than others. Also, coming back from France there were more flights with AF so if we missed one there were several others we could take and still be on time. Lateness was not my only rationale, replacement flight availability is important too.

Are you looking at an AerLingus flight out of Dublin to the USA and trying to get to Dublin??? If so, you may very possibly run into overweight luggage problems. If you have anything close to "normal" cruise luggage (1 large checked and one 22 roller) you may very well be subject to HUGE excess luggage fees. Most European low cost airlines allow only about 15 pounds in the carryon and 40 in the checked. No "personal item" on a lot of LCC's in Europe.

AerLingus flies out of both Heathrow and Gatwick to Dublin. AND when you buy a "continuing" ticket from a European city through Dublin to the USA, AerLingus allows the normal USA/Europe luggage allowance-2 checked bags, 40 pounds each. 1 roller and one personal item in the cabin. Two other advantages on AerLingus-you can stay over in either Shannon or Dublin with no increase in air fare. Just your hotel bill/food. AND you will clear US immigration in Dublin. NO LONG immigration lines in the USA. Just grab your luggage, walk it through Customs, and go home or on to your next flight.

You can talk the National Express bus from Soton to Heathrow or Gatwick. Very easy and cheap.

AND when you buy a "continuing" ticket from a European city through Dublin to the USA, AerLingus allows the normal USA/Europe luggage allowance

Would this same baggage policy apply with Flybe? Their website says:

There are no baggage charges for interline passengers travelling on through tickets.

Doesn't early morning flights have a better record of leaving on time?

While that may generally be true, I don't think you have much to worry about. According to FlightStats, Flybe's early morning flight over the last 2 months had an on-time record of 91%, while for their later flights it was 95%.

Would this same baggage policy apply with Flybe? Their website says:

Only if it is booked on a single ticket and using the through, international fare.

OP-you do know that you have to pay for checked luggage??? Can be booked online at a discounted rate (about $4.00 off the airport price). 44 pounds maximum per person before excess charges apply. And only ONE carryon-not a roller and a laptop, roller and a purse, roller and a small back pack. Just ONE item-all other stuff must be checked.

Archived