Tired of the bad Carnival Rep

CanWeGoYet?

I've sailed Carnival a few times, am planning my first cruise on Celebrity this spring, so I've been hanging out on that board quite a bit. I've noticed a lot of Carnival bashing, and am puzzled by the put downs & asides to the demographic of the people carnival markets to.

It's an attitude I've noticed in real life as well, not just on the boards, often from people who have not sailed on Carnival even once. That Carnival ships are floating drunk tanks, food and service are sub-par, and the demographic Carnival markets to inspired the generous comment from one poster that they enjoy all types of people and walks of life. You would think they were dining next to gang members, parolees or those who have never seen the inside of a university.

Are the shorter cruises really that bad? I've never been on anything shorter than a 7 day, but did go during april once - even then I didn't see people behaving like they were raised by wolves.

Let us know how Celebrity it, i think you may be back at Carnival hunting for a new rep!

If they are a snooty as they are on these boards, i don't even want to be on the same ship as them.

Carnival people are really people, not afraid to be who they really are.

I have come in contact with "other line" people and all they do is sit around trying to empress each.

I have never sailed on a 7 day Carnival cruise, only 3, 4 and 5 days, and the answer to your question, is no, I have never experienced rowdy, drunkeness, and we have sailed during spring break as well with the kids. I am not saying I didnt see any drunk people, LOL, there are a few, but we found that on RCL as well and they didnt bother me in the least. We have found that the demographics on all of our cruises are mixed. I met a family on a previous cruise, who was a RCL loyalist, but because of last minute change of plans chose to cruise CCL and she admitted, she was wary because of the rumors, but by the end of the cruise, she was pleasantly suprised and wondered herself why CCL got such a bad rap.

I really dont care for snooty people and I have heard many snooty remarks from RCL cruisers and I can imagine Celebrity is worse. I prefer passengers that enjoy what they enjoy without bashing the other line, to each his own. There are many experienced cruisers who sail a variety different cruise lines.

I really think Carnival had that reputation back in the 1980s and some people haven't gotten over that.

I first sailed in 1990. My sister, a travel agent described NCL as top of the line, RCCL as middle of the road and Carnival as the lowly party ship. And I saw that when we were docked at Grand Cayman. I could hear the party onboard the Carnival ship.

Fast forward to 2006 and I am sailing again for the first time ;) and DH recommends Carnival. Imagine my surprise. It's a party if you want it to be. It's elegant if you want it to be. It's casual....well, you get the idea.

I think they have a great product/value for the dollar. I sail other lines for the itinerary or a good deal but my first choice will always be Carnival.

I've sailed Carnival a few times, am planning my first cruise on Celebrity this spring, so I've been hanging out on that board quite a bit. I've noticed a lot of Carnival bashing, and am puzzled by the put downs & asides to the demographic of the people carnival markets to.

It's an attitude I've noticed in real life as well, not just on the boards, often from people who have not sailed on Carnival even once. That Carnival ships are floating drunk tanks, food and service are sub-par, and the demographic Carnival markets to inspired the generous comment from one poster that they enjoy all types of people and walks of life. You would think they were dining next to gang members, parolees or those who have never seen the inside of a university.

Are the shorter cruises really that bad? I've never been on anything shorter than a 7 day, but did go during april once - even then I didn't see people behaving like they were raised by wolves.

A good idea is to read and get info that involves your particular cruise.......... but don't pay attention to attitudes on here......

It is the same on all boards........even on this board.......

If I would have listened on here what Carnival loyals say about Princess cruises.......I would have missed my best cruise to date...

Just ignore the comments and try all lines for yourself.......

As far as the shorter Carnival ships being party ship......that is still true today.......

If you want a pretty good party ship book the 3 day out of California;)

I called a cruise only agency and asked about booking my next Carnival cruise there and the agent said they didn't deal with Carnival and that Carnival wasn't their type of clientel's choice. They will sell the better expereince (meaning more money for them) on RCI, NCL, HAL, Celebrity, Princess, MSC, and all the others. I asked why not Carnival when they are one of the most successful cruise lines in the world and people keep coming back, the agent said that the atmosphere is not to their clients liking. I told them I was wanting to book Carnival and that at that point I had been on FIVE Carnival cruises and had the time of my life (and I said I do no party). She didn't have a good enough answer, so I said I'll go back to the agent I used for the last cruise instead....Sorry folks, you lost a sale because of stupid misconception that they are the party ships...

Would you expect the X crowd to say:

Carnival food is about on a par with X food, some is even better.

Carnival service is about the same as X service.

Carnival cabins are about the same as X cabins, just a little bigger.

Carnival shows are about the same as X shows.

Carnival passengers seem to be having more fun.

BUT WE HAVE TO PAY A LOT MORE!!!!!!! That makes X BETTER, doesn't it?????????????????

That would be silly to think that, now wouldn't it?

Dan

BUT WE HAVE TO PAY A LOT MORE!!!!!!! That makes X BETTER, doesn't it?????????????????

Dan

It would be silly, but the transatlantic I've booked with X is no more expensive than what I had reserved on carnival - carnival canceled the whole cruise. Went up to a balcony with X, after recent price reductions I believe the balconies on the Carnival sailing were more expensive.

Dan

It's silly to say Carnival passengers seem to be having more fun too;)

Celebrity has a better buffet than Carnival but I like Carnival dining room food better (especially the deserts)

The passengers on Celebrity were mostly no different than Carnival passengers, sometimes just a little older and a few more europeans, did run into a few snooty types, but also met a lot of really nice people.

Celebrity service and staff is really outstanding, that I have to give them that, the staff seemed really happy and well adjusted and many of them that I talked to have been working for them for years.

The rooms on Celebrity are smaller, the beds not nearly as comfortable (you gotta love that CCL comfort bed)

The decor is more "tasteful", but that said, I really like a little wild on the ship, so pink zebra strips and grapes in the dining room don't bother me.

I really loved the free chocolate or almond filled crossants they made each morning at Cova cafe on X, these were free to all.

I like both lines and want to try many others, however Carnival keeps getting me right now because the economy sux and I don't want to spend too freely, since we are uncertain what is down the road.

Whatever line you choose, Happy sailing!!!

Carole

I have taken three cruises to date all on RCI, I have my first carnival cruise booked for this November. My first cruise was in Dec. 04 all all I did was read the RCI board. not because I did not like carnival, but because all i did was cruise RCI. In he short time I have been posting on the carnival board I still read and post at the RCI board. I have noticed more people slamming carnival at the RCI board than people on this board slamming RCI, to be honest it is a very small number and it is the same people over and over who do most of the slamming.

I am not loyal to any one cruise line, the reason my first three cruises were on RCI was because they came highly recommended by a close friend, I was not disappointed with my RCI cruises at all. In all fairness I probably would have booked my 4th cruise on RCI if not for the price factor, Like I said I am happy with the RCI ships and product.

When I started to look at cruises for this vacation it all kept coming back to the price. I am a inside cabin type of person, I booked on the legend for the week of 11-15 at $429.00 PP with the early booking, the cheapest I could find on RCI for the same week that would work for me was $699.00 PP.

So back to why people bash Carnival, At one time from what I have been told Carnival was really a much more party ship than the other lines, is this true I really don't know but what I do know it was the perception of a carnival cruise. some people hear one thing on how it might have been 10 years ago and see it as the truth now.

All I really know about carnival is what others have told me, and many have told me that taking a carnival is a great time and they had a blast. I have never stepped foot on a carnival ship to date, so I really can not in good faith say anything good or bad about a carnival cruise.

I am willing to give Carnival a fair shot. I do know that a cruise is what you make it, I will have a great time. I have done my homework on this, read many reviews, and listened to many on this board and in person and in my heart I believe after this cruise is over I will look back and say I made a very good choice.

I will close this post with one observation. I read both the RCI and Carnival board, and at this time of economic turmoil there are a lot more people on the RCI board saying they are willing to try carnival, than the other way around. I am one of these people who are willing to try Carnival.

Thanks for listening to all by babble on a Friday night.

People are going to have their opinions, whether it be good or bad, whether it be about the food, the decor or the type of people they think are going to be on board. If you don't like a particular line for what ever reason, don't sail it. You don't need to bash it, especially if you've never stepped foot on one of their ships before and please don't stereotype because of other peoples experiences.

There are probably 4 reasons for this reputation:

1. Carnival really did use to be a party cruise line. That was their targeted crowd and they got them. It used to be a booze and booty cruise. However, Carnival has evolved into a family cruise line that is still fun. And yes, the shorter cruises can still a bit more party than I would like.

2. Some (certainly not all) of the Carnival clientele are determined to make an inexpensive cruise line CHEAP (and there is a difference). I have often told my husband that it will be the Carnival clientele that drives me away from Carnival long before it is the product.

3. A small percentage is what I call "second place syndrome". No one likes the biggest!! It is the reason that RCCL Cruise Directors do idiotic things like have passengers get on one side of the ship and yell "Walmart" at a Carnival ship docked beside it. RCCL will never get over the fact that they lost Princess and Cunard to Carnival. I don't care how big a ship RCCL builds....they still don't have Cunard!

4. The largest factor in this equation though is greed. TA's make their commission based on a percentage of the amount of the cruise. Some TAs have not figured out that while they may not make as much money "per booking" on Carnival....that Carnival is a lot more affordable than other cruise lines ...therefore they would have MORE bookings.

I, too, am really tired of people bashing Carnival. I have experienced it on several other cruiselines. When I tell them I have cruised on Carnival, they make a rude comment or grimace. One lady on a Princess cruise noticed my Carnival lanyard and said it was "tacky" of me to wear it, and she was serious! When you ask them why they don't like Carnival, most of them will tell you they have never been on Carnival. They obviously think cruising on Carnival is "beneath" them. :confused:

Archived