Best time for Alaska

ddean52

Amazing Alaska, what a wonderful trip. Each time of the year has it's pluses. May and September are cheaper. September even has those great 50% sales, great for those tee shirts, etc. I've gone in May, July, and September. In May, the mountains were just covered with beautiful snow on our train trip in Skagway. To a Californian, it was amazing. We did see eagles and bears coming out of hyberation (on a special tour). In September, of course less snow, changing colors in vegetation. We didn't many eagles during September. In July it's much more crowded, warm, and I saw eagles everywhere. That was the time I saw the trees with what looked like golf balls (actually eagle heads). July is much more expensive to cruise. I was on a school track system that allowed me to have May and September off. It's changed and I'm back in Alaska in July this year. Check the cruise destinations/ ports for Alaska. You will get great, great information. Later. Robin

The most hours of daylight will be around the Summer Solstice but weather is quite variable in a state the size of Alaska so you need to dress in layers in order to be prepared for whatever you encounter. There are sites which will indicate the average temperatures and rainfall amounts for different time periods in different locations, but remember that these numbers are just averages and the actual temperatures and amounts of rainfall you encounter can be much lower or higher than those figures. We have been in Alaska in early May and June and experienced snow flurries in Denali, and have sat outside in shortsleeves at 11pm in Anchorage. Prices will be lower in the earliest and latest parts of the cruise schedule and higher during the most popular travel weeks and months. Pick a time that you can afford and, if possible, add a land tour to the cruise to get the most out of your visit to spectacular Alaska.:)

We like June because our TA said that's when all the animals are out with their babies feeding like crazy. The whales are just back and feeding everywhere (I also went the end of May and hardly saw any humbacks), in June there's lots of eagles, daylight is long, and I don't remember seeing 1 mosquito. Dress in layers, but I liked going in June. Next time I'd like to go late August/Sept to see see all the golden trees (hardly any sugar maples in Alaska, just aspen/poplar).

I Think June is a good month,everybody is awake from hibernation,and are out foraging for food,july is probably even better for wildlife,salmon in rivers draws bears, eagles,beavers,hope this helps you,have a great cruise:));)

If you are turning 50 this year, there are some incredible 50th anniversary of statehood specials including a ride one way or roundtrip on the Alaska Railroad for free.

This is the year to go to Alaska if you can afford it. The value is better than in the past five years. I just found a balcony senior rate for my IL's for $1000 a person this June.

we plan to book RCL for Alaska and would like input as too the best time of the year to do this! We look forward to your help.

Dean:cool:

So many questions I'd need answered.

1. Do you care for warmer weather or are you good with chilly weather? Warmer weather means you'll see less snow on the mountains depending on when you come; chillier weather gives you those breathtaking pics.

2. Do you care for late night sun - like the sun still being in the sky after midnight? If so, plan for late June (summer soltice June 23) or early July.

3. It's been my experience on smaller day cruises to see whales in the earlier part of the season. You should be able to see them throughout the season, but I've been able to spot copious whales during late May/June.

4. Peak months are June-August. You'll see all kinds of wildlife in June/July, but be prepared to pay for it. Trust me though, it'll be worth it.

Hit me up with any questions you have. I haven't done the RCL cruise (I tend to head south to the Caribbean to cruise), but plan on doing the Alaska cruise some day - maybe even on Princess since I have a friend in the business and would like to support his company at some point.

Definitely late August, early Sept. for us. The weather was great which is a hit and miss thing, wildlife was amazing, we saw Mt. McKinley two days without a cloud in the sky, less children because school has returned,

had to buy tshirts because it was so warm. It was GREAT!

We have been in both May and end of July. We didn't see whales on either. Only noticeable difference was that if you are doing the Hubbard Glacier, which we did both times, you will get much closer in July as there isn't as much ice in the water. We are doing Tracy Arm itinerary this May so am excited about seeing the difference. May is a really nice time to leave out of Vancouver also.

Cheers

Archived