Help to compare cabins/ships

Frankie Sue

We've sailed on both ships, albeit not in either of the specific cabin types you're considering. The Rotterdam cabin is about 50 square feet larger than the O's if I'm reading the stats correctly.

But just in general, if you're not familiar with the two ships, I'd strongly suggest the Rotterdam. It's smaller than the O, and we've found that the service and food are significantly better as a result. I've never been quite sure as to why a 1300 passenger ship seems so much more personal and efficient than an 1800, but it seems to work every time. We spent 17 days on a Rotterdam Atlantic crossing and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Your help may help me decide which cruise to book. Could you tell me how the Oosterdam cabin category VD compares to the Rotterdam cabin category B?
The Rotterdam cabin will be slightly longer inside (maybe 3 feet?) but the Oosterdam verandah will be 1.5 ft deeper.

Edit: got to http://dutchbyassociation.blogspot.com and scroll down to his post of Jan 22 at 9:45pm (in the Older Posts). The first of the three pics will be the Rotterdam B, the 2nd will be the Oosterdam VD. (Just FYI, the 3rd is the Eurodam VA-VF).

On the Vista Class, such as the Oosterdam, the verandah cabins are a total of 249 sq ft, including a 73 sq ft verandah.

On the Rotterdam, I believe the B category cabins are a total of 292 sq ft, including a 63 sq ft verandah.

As to the significantly lower price on the Oosterdam ... there are many, many more berths than on the Rotterdam. So the pricing may be set to get more heads in beds, as there are more beds. With fewer cabins on the Rotterdam, perhaps HAL does not feel the need to reduce prices to fill the ship.

The thing is that although the Oosterdam itinerary is 2 days shorter, both itineraries are very similar but on the Oosterdam the price is close to $1,000 per person cheaper....... What to do... what to do....

Thanks for your help.

What stops are omitted on the Oosterdam? And how much do you want to see them? Have you cruised AK before?
On the Vista Class, such as the Oosterdam, the verandah cabins are a total of 249 sq ft, including a 73 sq ft verandah.

On the Rotterdam, I believe the B category cabins are a total of 292 sq ft, including a 63 sq ft verandah.

I'd like to quibble with you a bit on the verandah sizes. :) On the Vistas the side VA/VB/VC are 54 sq ft (6'x9') and the VDs that OP asked about are 67.5 (7.5x9). (The Vista deck 5 VE & VF are just 40.5: 4.5'x9')

We have ONLY cruised Hal before; on both R and an S class ships but in different cabin categories: SA on the R ship and an SY on the S ship. So we know the size of both ships and are quite comfortable with either. The itineraries are both European itineraries and although slightly different ports, none that we have visited before. So both itineraries appeal to us. This is why the lower pricing is very tempting but we also want to maintain cabin comfort. I appreciate all your info.

The itineraries are both European itineraries and although slightly different ports, none that we have visited before.
OOPS. When I asked if you had cruised to AK before I was thinking you were going there for some reason. Anyway, for me the itineraries are far more important than the ship, and I would base my choice mainly on the ports. My DW loves the R- and S- sized ships better, but I like newer ships better! :D

I'd like to quibble with you a bit on the verandah sizes. :) On the Vistas the side VA/VB/VC are 54 sq ft (6'x9') and the VDs that OP asked about are 67.5 (7.5x9). (The Vista deck 5 VE & VF are just 40.5: 4.5'x9')

Thanks for the clarification ... I was using info, apparently not wholly accurate, given me by a HAL res person when we were planning our Westerdam a couple of years ago.

Thanks for the clarification ... I was using info, apparently not wholly accurate, given me by a HAL res person when we were planning our Westerdam a couple of years ago.
They don't give you the variations, but just stick with one number for the entire class.

One thing that I had not thought about is that the Oosterdam is going for a refit. Do you know when it's due? How will that affect/improve the overall experience on the ship? Will the ship become larger and busier with more passengers? Will we loose public areas? This could also impact our decision to stick with the Rotterdam which is not due for refit until the end of the year, or go to the Oosterdam.

Again your comments and views on this are much appreciated.

Oosterdam goes for her refit after my cruise ending April 1. they will be adding more cabins aft on the upper decks, and rearranging some of the public areas, as they have already done on Zuiderdam and Westerdam. If you have a brochure, you can compare the before and after diagrams, you can also do this online. EM

One thing that I had not thought about is that the Oosterdam is going for a refit. Do you know when it's due? How will that affect/improve the overall experience on the ship? Will the ship become larger and busier with more passengers? Will we loose public areas?
The refit, which will be completed Apr 24, will add about 30 cabins at the stern of decks 6, 7, and 8, and thus the number of passengers will increase by about 60. No public space will be lost, but as the last poster said, will undergo some rearrangement. A Canaletto will be added in a corner of the Lido.

If it gets the "screening room" as the Zuiderdam did, movies will not be shown in the Queen's Lounge as often. The new deck plans do not show such a screening room, but neither do the Zuiderdam's.

The biggest change to public space will be the moving of the Internet Center up to an Exporations Cafe on the starboard side of the Crow's Nest, eliminating the Oak Room. In its place will either be a Merabella Luxury Shop, or (more likely) a 30 seat screening room and some shops.

The Windstar Cafe will be replaced by a Pinnacle Bar. The cabins (other than the new ones) will just get repair or replacement of things worn out or damaged. I'm not sure of the status of the TVs, but they might be upgraded too.

Archived