Tipping on NCL

dmack110

OK fair but....when you purchase the cruise, you are also buying/accepting the terms which say the DSC will be added and it doesn't matter if it's on your credit card as balance due or added once on board.

I'm assumng that's a very dark place.:D:p

I for one would like to see NCL just add the DSC as part of the fare like they do with taxes, fees. etc., then If anyone wanted to give someone extra, maybe they would understand that, that's the part that is discrestionary. It sure would put an end to some of the discussions.:D

I always felt that by calling it a DSC, NCL was trying to close the gap created by those who did not tip or tipped very little. Seems they need to close the gap even further. ;)

YES!!!! Fix the entire problem and add it to the cost of the cruise - then the entire discussion is moot! Right now the cruise lines are asking the passengers to do what they will not - pay their staff a decent living wage.

When you leave it up for interpretation, you leave it up for disagreement (do we need any more evidence than this thread?).

Again, typical response. And again, not one bit surprised. :)

Oh and btw, glad to see you made a new friend on this thread. The two of you will be very happy together. LOL

CG

Glad that I didn't disappoint. You can be sure that I will react everytime you stick your nose in where it was not invited.

Glad that I didn't disappoint. You can be sure that I will react everytime you stick your nose in where it was not invited.

Oh so now people have to be invited to comment on a thread that you are corresponding on? You can say whatever you want and insult people, yet no one can comment if you don't invite them? :)

I've read a lot of comments from pompous, insulting people but you have won the prize. ROTFLMAO!

CG

Oh so now people have to be invited to comment on a thread that you are corresponding on? I've read a lot of comments from pompous, insulting people but you have won the prize. ROTFLMAO!

CG

You weren't commenting on the thread, you were commenting on me. Subtle difference.

YES!!!! Fix the entire problem and add it to the cost of the cruise - then the entire discussion is moot! Right now the cruise lines are asking the passengers to do what they will not - pay their staff a decent living wage.

When you leave it up for interpretation, you leave it up for disagreement (do we need any more evidence than this thread?).

Obviously just an opinion, but I would bet the overwhelming majority of people pay their daily service charge happily and wouldn't dream of removing it unless something catastrophic happened. I think those of you who remove it and try to work your own system or those that remove it and stiff the crew are few and far between. That is why the crew LOVES the DSC and the way it is handled.

You weren't commenting on the thread, you were commenting on me. Subtle difference.

wow you hit the nail on the head my friend.

this is what some do all the time, they personally attack posters in a round about way, they do not use names so there post wont be yanked, but its very obvious as to who they refer too. think im going to start a new thread about tipping in a bit.

please contribute

Right now the cruise lines are asking the passengers to do what they will not - pay their staff a decent living age.

And THAT will start a another "discussion" so just a quickie on it. The cruise lines that DO pay their staff a decent living wage are out of the financial reach of a huge number of the cruising public. Just check some of the prices on the super luxury lines. The fare up front is thousands more than a piddly $12 per day per week they are asking you to pay.

TWO of us are cruising to Bermuda for less than half the fare for ONE on one of the luxury lines. We'll glady pay the measly $12 and also add extra in cash to lots of people.:)

BTW, I think I hear a flushing noise as far as this thread is concerned or at least the sound of a key turning.

Yup, I certainly was. On your nasty insults thrown at people who have a lot of posts here on CC. Those were comments about the tipping thread? I didn't make one negative comment to you when you were posting your opinion on the DSC. Only after you starting making personal insults. Go back and check it if you don't believe me. So, you can make personal attacks on people that have nothing to do with the topic and thats fine right? Again, refer to my previous post...pompous, etc. LOL

Perhaps in the future if you don't want people commenting on what you say, you should carefully review your posts before clicking the "send" button. If you expect to be able to insult people and get no response, you are sadly mistaken..invited or not.

CG

Interesting stuff allright, my travel agent gave me "prepaid gratuities" on my next NCL cruise, so let's all discuss the definition of "gratuity":rolleyes:

It IS true that many "large volume" posters on here feel they need to comment on others posts and "prove" them wrong, I was enjoying reading everyone's opinion before others decided to tell us we were wrong in having one.

There is one high volume poster on here that has YET to take a cruise, but dispenses advice hourly, an acknowledged "expert" I'm sure...

Just something to think about from a newbie: just because you can post doesn't mean you should!:);)

There is one high volume poster on here that has YET to take a cruise, but dispenses advice hourly, an acknowledged "expert" I'm sure...

I certainly hope you are basing that on a well documented fact and not on a person's signature.

Some people have listed all the cruises they've taken and others choose not to for any variety of reasons.

I certainly hope you are basing that on a well documented fact and not on a person's signature.

Some people have listed all the cruises they've taken and others choose not to for any variety of reasons.

Thank you Captain Obvious!, I'm sure your other 3881 posts are just as informative and interesting!:p

WOW!! I guess nobody new here is welcome . . . especially if they have an opinion that differs from the masses.

And by the way, if you took a moment to look, AW included comments of his own after the material he quoted from the NCL website. That is what I was referring to.

Jeeshe G ~ You'd think after all my B*TCHING about my view on the DSC, you'd know I was a she!! ;)

Yes the new rule is 12 per person age two and above. I posted elsewhere I think it in excessive for the third and higher person in the room if the person is a child especially when the kids crew is not part of the pool.

Its per night. so a five day four night is charged for 4 services charges/

Thanks so much Smeyer418! Your post was of great help to me! It will make it so much easier now when planning the whole money thing.

Thanks again!;)

Yes' date=' sorry to say they increased the childrens service charge to the same as an adult. I also think this is a bit excessive.

If you cruise is a 4 day cruise you will be charge for 4 days. A 4 day cruise does sort of appear to be a 4 night/5 day cruise but it is not.

PE[/quote']

Thanks Planer's Edge for answering my question so quickly. I think I understand much better now.

Thank you Captain Obvious!, I'm sure your other 3881 posts are just as informative and interesting!:p

That's Ms. Captain Obvious to you!

BTW, Why don't you just name names.. Who hasn't cruised? OBVIOUSLY, I'm not as astute as you and have no idea who you're talking about. How would you know they haven't cruised, unless they stated that in a post? And if they've stated that, then it's not necessary to keep them a mystery.

but the spa does add a 15% tip to the bill: how well I know,one time I didn't pay any attention, plus they tried to sell me this awesome back brush to take the dead cells off my back, and of course I feel for it. By the time I was finished, my $79 treatment plus the tip and the tip I put on top and the brush, I walked out paying about $150..00. The brush which I am sure was carried at Bed, Bath and Beyond for about $10 was $45.00 and I tipped 15% on everything. I think the problem, I was sober at the time.

Nita LOL

ps yes this is one of the 3 or 4 hot topics, smoking and quality of food being the other two. It used to be dress code but not anymore.

Ha ha, Nita!! I laugh because I had the same experience in the spa on a RCI cruise. My $99 facial/head massage special ended up costing me $185+ tip!! :eek: I fell for the special facial creams I could simply not live with out, if I really wanted to cleanse and moisturize properly! :rolleyes:

Oh and the "sober" part....maybe that was my problem too!! LOL

the tips are added to your daily account..each day, when you check the bill, you will see the service charge added to your cabin's bill. no envelopes to hand out..they know :D. some people do take some thank you cards to hand out. but to be honest, with freestyle, it's sometimes very hard to find the person you are looking for. servers move around, don't stay in the same dining venue for the whole cruise.

i leave a "thank you" and a few more $ for the room stewards. maybe a little for any servers that has done extra..otherwise the service charge covers everything for the regular person below suite level.

Hey, good idea Cathi, about the Thank You cards! I searched hi and lo for tip envelopes to give to our concierge and butler last year on the Star....and it would have been nice to leave one for the room steward too.

I am going to pack some for our upcoming Alaska cruise! ;)

Maybe the brush wasn't such a bad deal afterall.;) My neice had her hair done "up" and the stylist asked if she wanted some rhinestone combs added. She said sure, thinking how much could a couple of little combs cost? $80 for two was how much.:eek: Probably $3.79 each in Walmart.

Ha Ha!! Sorry to keep laughing at our spa experiences...we have all had them!

My daughter had her hair done up on one of the cruises we took and the nice lady suggested a rhinestone hairclip....well an additional $25 dollars later, she was adorned with a very stunning little plasticky clip that I am sure we could have purchased in the dollar store in the toy department!

my husban and me just went on a crusie on the caribbean, on board the Norwegian Dawn, and we just found out the :( sad situation of the tippins,

as per the crew members, they used to received more money as salaries before, Norwegian cruise lines charge 12 dollars per person, this ,oney suppose to go to the crew involved in the pooling system, but as a sorprise is not like that, Norwegian crusie lines is Stilling the money from the crew, they been adding more cabins to the roostewart, and more guest to take care in the dinning rooms, but their salaries are instead of be more is less, before i remember my previous roomstewart who was a great one, makes me fell a litlle curious about their salaries, but he was so nice by telling us he was making around 3.500 us dollars, that was in 2000 , but in my recent trip 2008 after been on board the Norwegian DAwn, we just found out that the are making only 2500 us dollars, is not fair that hard working people receive around 1000 us dollars less that they used to receive before for more work. and as far as we investigated they fired 31 roomstewart and their assistants took over their possitions for only 1800 us dollars, they were given an assistant as well, other wise could be a disaster for them and for the service as well. by saying this we can realize that Norwegian cruise lines are taking aditional 700 us dollars fron the crew per seccion that every romstewart are taking care of. is a sad situation for this hard working people because they have to live their families during ten moths for less money. and to make it worse every roomstewart have to be responsible for a minibar in every cabin, if something is missing from the minibar, they are beeing charged for that. we decided to pay our service to the roomsterwart but the front desk manager said no!, how ever we decided to give a extra tip to our roomstewarts. Norwegian cruise lines is a big tiehft among all the cruise lines. i really prefer RCCL. :mad:

The money does go to the crew. There is no skimming by NCL from this money.

As for tipping extra that is completely up to you. If you feel someone went above and beyond feel free to tell them with a few bucks. This goes for anyone on the ship except officers and senior management.

PE

Now I'm ashamed - for some reason I did not. My most sincere apologies!

You know I could never stay mad at you, G. ;)

Nothing to apologize over.. it's not like my posts have boobs or anything... :D

my husban and me just went on a crusie on the caribbean, on board the Norwegian Dawn, and we just found out the :( sad situation of the tippins,

as per the crew members, they used to received more money as salaries before, Norwegian cruise lines charge 12 dollars per person, this ,oney suppose to go to the crew involved in the pooling system, but as a sorprise is not like that, Norwegian crusie lines is Stilling the money from the crew, they been adding more cabins to the roostewart, and more guest to take care in the dinning rooms, but their salaries are instead of be more is less, before i remember my previous roomstewart who was a great one, makes me fell a litlle curious about their salaries, but he was so nice by telling us he was making around 3.500 us dollars, that was in 2000 , but in my recent trip 2008 after been on board the Norwegian DAwn, we just found out that the are making only 2500 us dollars, is not fair that hard working people receive around 1000 us dollars less that they used to receive before for more work. and as far as we investigated they fired 31 roomstewart and their assistants took over their possitions for only 1800 us dollars, they were given an assistant as well, other wise could be a disaster for them and for the service as well. by saying this we can realize that Norwegian cruise lines are taking aditional 700 us dollars fron the crew per seccion that every romstewart are taking care of. is a sad situation for this hard working people because they have to live their families during ten moths for less money. and to make it worse every roomstewart have to be responsible for a minibar in every cabin, if something is missing from the minibar, they are beeing charged for that. we decided to pay our service to the roomsterwart but the front desk manager said no!, how ever we decided to give a extra tip to our roomstewarts. Norwegian cruise lines is a big tiehft among all the cruise lines. i really prefer RCCL. :mad:

The money does go to the crew. There is no skimming by NCL from this money.

As for tipping extra that is completely up to you. If you feel someone went above and beyond feel free to tell them with a few bucks. This goes for anyone on the ship except officers and senior management.

And THAT will start a another "discussion" so just a quickie on it. The cruise lines that DO pay their staff a decent living wage are out of the financial reach of a huge number of the cruising public. Just check some of the prices on the super luxury lines. The fare up front is thousands more than a piddly $12 per day per week they are asking you to pay.

TWO of us are cruising to Bermuda for less than half the fare for ONE on one of the luxury lines. We'll glady pay the measly $12 and also add extra in cash to lots of people.:)

BTW' date=' I think I hear a flushing noise as far as this thread is concerned or at least the sound of a key turning.[/quote']

Now I'm being called pompous! Well, if you read my contributions to this thread, you will see I am always stating that I am providing my opinions as to the topic. What bothers you is that my opinions do not match your narrow-minded interpretations that you try to foist on unsuspecting posters as fact.

Like I suggested in my last message and I will make clear now: 3,500 postings does not make you an expert, it simply makes you a person with too much time on their hands.

The only reason I am chiming in here is because the poster you bashed for having 3500 posts as opposed to your mere 45 is because that posted has belonged to the boards for 8 years. Maybe after 8 years you might have just as many posts. At this point he/she is averaging 73 posts over a 2-month period as opposed to your 45 over the same period. While it is more than you, it's not so much more that you need concern yourself with the number of posts. Depending on if i have an upcoming cruise, I will post more or less based on that.:rolleyes:

Archived