Oasis on Ebay?

I noticed some Oasis cabins for sale on ebay. I have bought a few things on ebay before but never a cruise. We really want to go on the Oasis but boy the prices are crazy out of control. The ones on ebay are not exactly when we wanted to go but close enough & they are a whole lot less than what I have been able to find. We are seriously considering going but not sure about getting a cruise on ebay. Has anyone else ever bought a cruise on ebay? If so, how was your experience?

We don't want an Aqua Theater suite nor could we afford one. The one that I found was for February 6, 2010. The prices are a few hundred dollars less per person then the Royal Caribbean web site. I called a few travel agencies and they can't even come close.

We don't want an Aqua Theater suite nor could we afford one. The one that I found was for February 6, 2010. The prices are a few hundred dollars less per person then the Royal Caribbean web site. I called a few travel agencies and they can't even come close.

Only way for this to be 'legit' pricing is if the TA has group space that they 'reserved' and the price of the given cruise has since gone up......... While there are some great deals on eBay (and some NOT so great BTW), a cruise (at least an RCI cruise where discounting is prohibited) is not an item that would 'fit' that description IMHO.

Bruce

I've bought and sold on eBay a lot. I would never buy a cruise there, especially on RCI where a TA is not allowed to discount (but may offer OBC, etc). I would always trust only myself, or a very competant TA that I know.

I called the number on the Ebay ad & talked to the TA. Yes it is group space that they have been holding for some time. We booked & have already received confirmation. I signed on to RCI's web site & checked myself under the online check in & we are confirmed.

So we are part of a group. We don't care about that as we are not obligated to be with them. Plus we get ship board credits or dinner at one of the alternative restaurants.

Oasis here we come.

I noticed some Oasis cabins for sale on ebay. I have bought a few things on ebay before but never a cruise. We really want to go on the Oasis but boy the prices are crazy out of control. The ones on ebay are not exactly when we wanted to go but close enough & they are a whole lot less than what I have been able to find. We are seriously considering going but not sure about getting a cruise on ebay. Has anyone else ever bought a cruise on ebay? If so, how was your experience?

eBay isn't the issue. It's the seller that's the issue.

If you can't vet the seller, if you can't find information about them, if they are not listed anywhere outside the eBay environment, then you're buying a pig in a poke.

eBay provides a selling environment....they don't have anything to do with what is sold, what the product is, whether it is valid or not....

I'd never buy a cruise from anyone I wasn't completely familiar with and confident in.

That's why I book direct......

eBay isn't the issue. It's the seller that's the issue.

If you can't vet the seller' date=' if you can't find information about them, if they are not listed anywhere outside the eBay environment, then you're buying a pig in a poke.

eBay provides a selling environment....they don't have anything to do with what is sold, what the product is, whether it is valid or not....

I'd never buy a cruise from anyone I wasn't completely familiar with and confident in.

That's why I book direct......[/quote']

Actually sellers of cruises on Ebay are pretty safe. On Ebay, in order to sell cruises, you must be verified by Squaretrade. They are required to prove that they are TA's licensed to do business in all states by providing information such as a CLIA#, business card, and more.

Well I have learned a lot more then I set out to this afternoon about ebay AND travel agents.

Apparently you have to be "Square Trade Travel Certified" to sell travel on ebay. After researching what that meant, I am totally comfortable with the credentials of this seller.

Then I googled the agent and the agency. No problems finding there website. I even found the group info on this cruise.

I went to LOCATE A TRAVEL AGENTon Royal Caribbean web site & they were listed as a "Royal Caribbean International certified Expert Plus". Then I called Royal Caribbean & was told the agency is one of the top agencies with them. I have to say it wasn't easy to get someone who knew anything at Royal Caribbean.

I can see my reservation on the Royal Caribbean web site too.

So unless I am totally missing something, we got a great rate on the Oasis.

Why is this risky? Maybe you know something that I don't know but ebay was just a tool to find the right price for the right ship. I have talked to the TA & now I will deal directly with her. She sounds very knowledgable & says she has been a "cruise only" agent for 15 years. I have her email, phone number & the agency has a good reputation with Royal Caribbean. How is that any different from anyone elses TA. It saved me several hundred dollars. If I could have got that rate myself, I would have booked it myself. We don't mind being part of a group, like I said we aren't going to pal around with them but we have no problem reaping the benefits.

I will check tomorrow to see if my credit card has a charge on it directly from Royal Caribbean & if so, I don't think I have anything to worry about.

Why is this risky? Maybe you know something that I don't know but ebay was just a tool to find the right price for the right ship. I have talked to the TA & now I will deal directly with her. She sounds very knowledgable & says she has been a "cruise only" agent for 15 years. I have her email, phone number & the agency has a good reputation with Royal Caribbean. How is that any different from anyone elses TA. It saved me several hundred dollars. If I could have got that rate myself, I would have booked it myself. We don't mind being part of a group, like I said we aren't going to pal around with them but we have no problem reaping the benefits.

I will check tomorrow to see if my credit card has a charge on it directly from Royal Caribbean & if so, I don't think I have anything to worry about.

I am sure you're fine with this agent.

I just got off of the phone with my credit card company & the charge is there and it is directly from Royal Caribbean. I appreciate all of the concern but I don't believe that I have anything to worry about and I got a great rate.

Good for you on the great price and the cruise you really wanted.

Laura

Congratulations! I would have been too scared myself, but it sounds as though you checked it out carefully. You might want to ask her what she does in case of a price drop, since that might be in the future for the Oasis in this economic climate. But then maybe you got such a good deal that that won't come into play.

Enjoy your cruise!

I finally got around to sending the TA an email asking if she would honor a price drop & her response was "absolutely". All I have to do is notify her when I see a price change & she will get the price lowered. AND the ship board credit offer will still apply.

Again, thanks to all of you who cheered me on.

I am not sure I can wait until next February.

I finally got around to sending the TA an email asking if she would honor a price drop & her response was "absolutely". All I have to do is notify her when I see a price change & she will get the price lowered. AND the ship board credit offer will still apply.

Really glad this is all working out for you. You did the homework and got all the answers. Now enjoy your cruise!

Laura

HURRAH FOR YOU!!! Have a great cruise (and may there be at least one price drop!).

Good for you!!!! Last year I booked a celebrity cruise through a well known agency on the net which was in business for over 25 yrs.....Well guess what happened??? You may have read about it ......they went out of business....thank god they had already forwarded my deposit to celebrity. so it was fairly easy to get my money back, but some were not as fortunate......Goes to show there is never any guarantee's.

You did your homework and you came out ahead, don't worry, Nothing wrong with extra $$$ in YOUR pocket:p Enjoy your cruise

Archived