Swim/Snorkel with the Turtles

IslandToIsland

We were at Folkstone park 11 years ago on our first cruise. I recall it being pretty small and not much of a beach - just a narrow strip of sand. We'd gone their for the snorkeling recommendation but the water was too rough (cloudy) for snorkeling the day we were there so it wasn't much fun.

If you have your heart set on seeing the turtles I'd recommend you take an excursion. The turtles don't love people and aren't so plentiful that you're likely to see many even if you do swim out. It is the food that your excursion guide feeds them that brings them around - and without that you'll be lucky to see many unless you're there when an excursion arrives. It is also a bit of a way off shore to swim.

Your trip was a long time 11 years ago! The present cost was about US$35 p.p. last year.

My friend sent me a recent picture of the Folkestone beach, as attached. You will find glass bottom boats there to take you to the turtles.

015.jpg.8c8ea68907c4baafb44a94892871aa91.jpg

029.jpg.4e4fd6a2ac718e52cb094f18a893af37.jpg

My friend sent me a recent picture of the Folkestone beach, as attached.

You will find glass bottom boats there to take you to the turtles.

Hi Seaboy...nice pics you posted.

May I ask your friend's permission to use the shot with the boat

on my Swimming with the Turtles group on Facebook?

Please?

Hi

Monica says you can , its her boat. Call her 2336089 and see if she has more pics.

OK! Thanks very much.

I can always go take my own

once I'm over this surgery-recovery phase I'm going thru,right now :eek::eek:

--it's just that I liked the lighting and spontaneity of That Shot!

Your trip was a long time 11 years ago! The present cost was about US$35 p.p. last year.

My friend sent me a recent picture of the Folkestone beach, as attached. You will find glass bottom boats there to take you to the turtles.

Thanks Seaboy. I wanted to do this also. Glad to know the boats are available at Folkestone.

aplmac, are the waves on Folkstone usually pretty high? We were planning on going there to snorkel in late april but don't want to go if the waves are rough.

Thanks!

We just got a cab to Payne's Bay and rented a couple of beach chairs and snorkel gear. Saw several turtles not that far from the beach. While we were there, several different catamarans full of people on cruise-ship excursions showed up, so it got kind of crowded, but I guess that means we also found the place to be for turtle watching. I'm sure we got away with a much cheaper (and more relaxing) day than booking an excursion.

How much did you pay for the taxi to Paynes Bay?? How long of a ride was it?? This is our plan for the day. I am happy to hear you saw turtles right off the shore. We were/are planning on hireing a boat to take us out to see them and snorkle a wreck that is in that area. Did you see others doing this?? If so do you know what they were charging??

THANKS!!!

Archived