Mac Users - Question about onboard internet

wrp96

I haven't had a problem lately. The only thing I would recommend is having a second browser loaded on you Mac other than Apple's Safari - like Firefox.

Firefox often works when Safari is quirky.

On Indy in December, my DH used his Mac without any problem, but he did use Firefox.

I haven't had a problem lately. The only thing I would recommend is having a second browser loaded on you Mac other than Apple's Safari - like Firefox.

Firefox often works when Safari is quirky.

I find Firefox is a better browser.

Did you have to prepay for wi-fi?

Actually, I'm trying to figure out if Navigator has any wi-fi in case I need to check on something using my ipod touch (since all the negative threads about having one's iphone turned on have scared me!).:eek:

So, does Navigator have wi-fi? Negc I know you'll be on the same cruise that I will in a couple of weeks, do you know?

Did you have to prepay for wi-fi?

Actually, I'm trying to figure out if Navigator has any wi-fi in case I need to check on something using my ipod touch (since all the negative threads about having one's iphone turned on have scared me!).:eek:

So, does Navigator have wi-fi? Negc I know you'll be on the same cruise that I will in a couple of weeks, do you know?

I'm pretty sure it does, but haven't checked to be certain. Perhaps someone on our roll call knows. I'll ask. On the Jewel I had to go to one of the RCI online stations to register before I could use my laptop and I got to choose my package at that time. On the TA it was cheapest to take the most minutes and I had pretty much used them up by the end of the trip.

Have you joined the roll call? We are trying to arrange an informal meet and mingle shortly after the muster drill. Hope we can meet up during the cruise.:)

Yes, all RCCL ships have wifi hotspots, go to the internet cafe the first day to sign up, and you'll find a sheet listing the hotspots on Navigator.

Hey Bill, do you mind if I email you for suggestions on computers? I'm still debating whether to stick with a PC or switch to a Mac and don't know that many Mac users to ask for advice.

DH uses his little macbook with no problems....most recently on Mariner last May.

You may as well get a Mac. At this point, if you get a PC-based laptop it will come with Vista which is as close as Microsoft could get away with to being a Mac and Vista is really annoying and it still possesses a lot of PC security quirks as well.

I mirror the comments about using Firefox...Safari is very quirky with their Wi-Fi system for some reason. Firefox works awesome or I assume parallels/windows would be fine too!

imo ...mac is the way to go right now, especially on the portable side!

My wife and I have 2 Mac Book Pros. We never have a problem. Enjoy your Mac. We both use FireFox until Google Chrome is available to Mac users. The Mac comes with 2 browsers already, Safari and Opera.

To help with the transition from PC to Mac, get yourself a bluetooth mouse. It provides left and right clicking on a Mac just like a PC. This is the biggest thing to get used to when switching.

Have fun!

DH uses his little macbook with no problems....most recently on Mariner last May.

You may as well get a Mac. At this point, if you get a PC-based laptop it will come with Vista which is as close as Microsoft could get away with to being a Mac and Vista is really annoying and it still possesses a lot of PC security quirks as well.

I'm only looking at PCs with the XP downgrade available. Not gonna do the Vista thing.

I usually set up my account on one of RC Online's machines before logging on with my MacBook, but I've never had an issue with WiFi using any of my Macs. I'd be interested in seeing how Safari 4 (just released in beta) works on the ship.

My new 17" MacBook Pro was just dropped off by the FedEx guy, and I'm already in love already with this big, sexy alloy-and-glass beast. The only ugly part is the Windows 7 I'm running in Parallels :D

I usually set up my account on one of RC Online's machines before logging on with my MacBook, but I've never had an issue with WiFi using any of my Macs. I'd be interested in seeing how Safari 4 (just released in beta) works on the ship.

My new 17" MacBook Pro was just dropped off by the FedEx guy, and I'm already in love already with this big, sexy alloy-and-glass beast. The only ugly part is the Windows 7 I'm running in Parallels :D

Good Lick with your new machine. What anti-virus software are you going to go with? Oh wait.... lol

Funny you should say that; the first time in five years that I've had to install any kind of anti-virus software was just today. Those panicky IMMINENT DANGER ALERT pop-ups are still very much alive and well in Windows 7. I still don't personally know anyone who runs an anti-virus app in Mac OS X, and now I know why my folks use a computer so much more since I bought them an iMac.

• 6 months later...
Thanks for starting this thread, I was going to ask this question, and am happy that firefox worked.

Silly question, where did you store your laptop when not in use. Will it fit in the safe?

No. (*maybe* if it is a new baby netbook)

As far as I have seen, no one has ever reported having a computer stolen from a cabin onboard.

If you are concerned, lock it in a suitcase under your bed.

We've had Macs since our first computer and have loved every one of them. I feel bad when my friends tell me they have viruses, and I tell them to go with a Mac. Not that they can't get them, but we're pushing 20 years on Macs and never had one. (knocking on wood) ;)

We've always been able to connect on our cruises without problems, except for the slow servers sometimes. Also use Firefox and DH is using Safari again. Seems it's improved some lately.

Good luck with your decision.

Archived