transportation to cruise terminal in Venice

travelgrandpa

Are there any ground transportation companies for hire for a party of 6 going from the Marriott Courtyard on Via Triestina to the cruise terminal? We will have 6 large suitcases and 6 carry ons. Nov.6th Grand Princess sailing-Greek Isles-Venice to Rome. Other suggestions welcome.

Are there any ground transportation companies for hire for a party of 6 going from the Marriott Courtyard on Via Triestina to the cruise terminal? We will have 6 large suitcases and 6 carry ons. Nov.6th Grand Princess sailing-Greek Isles-Venice to Rome. Other suggestions welcome.

Your hotel is like ours at the airport.

As your hotel as well as ours provide a free shuttle to the hotel and we thought that we should go in Venice on the waterways to the cruise terminal we will return to the airport and book a water taxi or use the public boat to the cruise terminal:

http://www.venicewelcome.com/servizi/taxi/taxi-form-ing.htm

http://www.motoscafivenezia.it/contacts-en.html

Normally there should be also a public line to the cruise terminal:

http://www.alilaguna.it/?funzione=119&contesto=1&valore=6&modo=3&fascia=2

Currently it does not show that they go to the cruise terminal as there is no cruise ship now.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Before you commit to a water taxi read the numerous posts on this board, some of them by me, and buyer beware! The Alilaguna shuttle (not the same as a vaporetto) runs from various points direct to the cruise port. You may have to transfer if coming from the mainland--I can't remember. Don't make the mistake of trying to walk from Piazzale Roma (train station/end of the Grand Canal) as it is a considerable hike, but if there are multiple ships there should be a free shuttle bus from the Piazzale to the cruise terminal.

Just to clarify for you, the link I gave you was for a land/road taxi. It does perhaps appear to be a water taxi as Venice being Venice, taxi's can be either. However, if the journey can be covered by road, it will give the land option by default when you put your info in for a quote.

(There is a free shuttle bus from Piazzale Roma, but only if there is a Costa or MSC ship in port (home duties operations). In 2009 this will be on Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays I believe.)

(There is a free shuttle bus from Piazzale Roma, but only if there is a Costa or MSC ship in port (home duties operations). In 2009 this will be on Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays I believe.)

You can check here if they are in port:

http://www.vtp.it/pages/calendario/calendarioFiltri.jsp?m=6&r=N

Date format: DD MM YYYY

Regards,

HeinBloed

Just to clarify for you, the link I gave you was for a land/road taxi. It does perhaps appear to be a water taxi as Venice being Venice, taxi's can be either. However, if the journey can be covered by road, it will give the land option by default when you put your info in for a quote.

I am cruising on celebrity summit on june 15th arriving at piazzale roma about 2pm. I notice Msc have a ship leaving the cruise port at 5pm that same day. Do you know if there is a free shuttle bus would they let you travel on it to the port or would it be for Msc cruise customers only.

I am cruising on celebrity summit on june 15th arriving at piazzale roma about 2pm. I notice Msc have a ship leaving the cruise port at 5pm that same day. Do you know if there is a free shuttle bus would they let you travel on it to the port or would it be for Msc cruise customers only.

Yes, anyone can use it. :)

The driver doesn't ask you to show a ticket or anything. The driver will open up the luggage storage area underneath and you will need to load your own luggage.

To find the shuttle, if you stand with your back to the vaporetto stop in Piazzale Roma, (at the top of the steps) turn left on the path and follow it round the square towards the back you should see a coach parked just to the right (next to the path) with a label 'shuttle' in the bottom left hand corner. If the bus isn't there, wait a little while as it may be on it's 'run' to & from the port.

Save yourself alot of grief. Ask the hotel to make the arrangements for you. Might cost a little more but they know what thay are doing.Maybe your all young and very strong and can lift your own bags,other wise take my advise.

Acrusa,

You must have been surprised by the lack of assistance, as my friend was. I've been to Europe before, so I wasn't surprised.

Europeans are more independent I guess, as everywhere we went, from Paris to Rome to Venice, we schlepped our own bags, putting them on the buses/off the buses, even at the airports, shuttles, taxi's.

The only one that handled our luggage for us was the shared van I had pre-reserved in Rome from FCO to the hotel. And again the RomeCab transfer from the hotel to Civitavecchia. Otherwise we were on our own.

And that seems to be the way it is in Europe. None of the hotels we have stayed at ever had anyone to help you with your luggage. Of course we didn't stay at Hilton's or Marriott's, so can't say that every hotel is that way, but for us, they were. And it was nothing in Holland to have to climb 3 or 4 flights of stairs to get to your room, schlepping that luggage.

In Venice, I was paying $240 per night, so I simply asked at the front desk for someone to help with the luggage up the 3 flights of stairs. For that kind of money, I wasn't going to schlepp my own luggage. And the morning of check-out, I again called and asked them for assistance. They did send a young man to carry the luggage down the stairs, but then he just deposited it at the bottom of the stairs and beat a hasty retreat. I was going to tip him, but he left in such a hurry, he didn't get the tip.

• 4 months later...

It's not even possible to give them a credit card, as I keep getting a security warning whenever I attempt to access the reservation. Their certificate expired.

If it's not fixed within a few days, I'll rely on the good graces of the Marriott to get us to the pier by cab.

Archived