SEA Airport to Amtrack

BRMAN

DH and I took a public bus from SEA-TAC to downtown Seattle. Cheap. Must have exact change as there are no change machines and driver does not make change. I learned of the bus number and fare amount on virtualtourist.com. It is a good distance from plane (at least Delta) through the airport, down to where you catch public transportation, so if you have a bunch of luggage, that might be a problem. DH and me just have this rule of one roller-type over-night case/person when we travel. Downtown Seattle is very walkable and has a nice, inexpensive (maybe even free within certain blocks, I cannot remember). Anyway, it was easy for us to find Amtrak. We stayed at The Moore Hotel and walked and took a local bus part of the way and then walked, if I remember. or maybe we walked the whole distance bc we were going to be sitting. Anyway, we took the Amtrak from SEA to Chicago as that was our vacation plans that year. If someone doesn't give bus # and fare amount from SEA to downtown, I'll try and find it. Hope this helps. Oh, if you stay at Moore Hotel, smack across the street is an awesome restaurant Buenos Aires, serves Argentia food, large portions. We had this sampler dish and was more than enough for two with to-go box. As for distance from SEA to Downtown, I cannot recall the distance but you can find such info on web. Hope all this info helps.

DH and I took a public bus from SEA-TAC to downtown Seattle. Cheap. Must have exact change as there are no change machines and driver does not make change. I learned of the bus number and fare amount on virtualtourist.com. It is a good distance from plane (at least Delta) through the airport' date=' down to where you catch public transportation, so if you have a bunch of luggage, that might be a problem. DH and me just have this rule of one roller-type over-night case/person when we travel. Downtown Seattle is very walkable and has a nice, inexpensive (maybe even free within certain blocks, I cannot remember). Anyway, it was easy for us to find Amtrak. We stayed at The Moore Hotel and walked and took a local bus part of the way and then walked, if I remember. or maybe we walked the whole distance bc we were going to be sitting. Anyway, we took the Amtrak from SEA to Chicago as that was our vacation plans that year. If someone doesn't give bus # and fare amount from SEA to downtown, I'll try and find it. Hope this helps. Oh, if you stay at Moore Hotel, smack across the street is an awesome restaurant Buenos Aires, serves Argentia food, large portions. We had this sampler dish and was more than enough for two with to-go box. As for distance from SEA to Downtown, I cannot recall the distance but you can find such info on web. Hope all this info helps.[/quote']

If you are traveling during peak traffic hours, the bus drivers will NOT let you on the city buses with more than a very small bag. The buses are usually standing room only during peak hours. Both 174 and 194 go downtown. 174 local/194 express. The fare is now about $3.00 during peak hours and $2.50 during off peak hours, one way.

Unless all you want is a (cheap) place to lay your head to sleep then get up and get out again, don't stay at the Moore. It is a very old building with no air con and few amenities. More like a hostel than a hotel.

Unless all you want is a (cheap) place to lay your head to sleep then get up and get out again, don't stay at the Moore. It is a very old building with no air con and few amenities. More like a hostel than a hotel.

Cheap is exactly why we stay there. :) Excellent location for the price. Soap, water, fan, and most importantly, a clean bed, and we're good to go... we're not moving in, just sleeping for the night. Don't go expect big fluffy towels, plush carpeting, or a bistro on the bottom floor. Try Inn at the Market for that, and plan on leaving a good portion of cash! We loved Inn at the Market, but sometimes cheap just wins.

Starting summmer (?)2009 there will be a LINK light rail starting up that will take passenger from Seatac to Seattle....the stops, I am not sure, since it is not operating yet, but I am quite sure it will put you very close to the train station as it also brings the commuter trains into the Amtrak station.

We have rode amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver many times....walk across the street through the park... and bought sky train tickets around the corner from Starbucks, got on the elevator and up to the train level and got on the sky train which runs every 5 minutes (?) and in 5 minutes we were at Canada Place and boarding our cruise ship.

Di

Starting summmer (?)2009 there will be a LINK light rail starting up that will take passenger from Seatac to Seattle....the stops, I am not sure, since it is not operating yet, but I am quite sure it will put you very close to the train station as it also brings the commuter trains into the Amtrak station.

We have rode amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver many times....walk across the street through the park... and bought sky train tickets around the corner from Starbucks, got on the elevator and up to the train level and got on the sky train which runs every 5 minutes (?) and in 5 minutes we were at Canada Place and boarding our cruise ship.

Di

The airport link will not be open until December, assuming it comes in on time. It also will be running in the bus tunnel. Would have to walk from the busway at 4th and Royal Brougham (near Safeco Field) to Amtrak (about six blocks).

We stayed at The Moore Hotel

oooh, my fav (or rather affordable) stay downtown. convenient to belltown, pike place and the free ride zone (pioneer square, the international district, elliot's bookstore, southen end of gold rush national park). they have a couple of suites that i've used for longer term stays. i have a friend that grew up in seattle 70+ years ago who learned to swim at the moore. yes, the moore has a swimming pool in the basement that was filled with saltwater pumped out of puget sound. no longer in use.

but it may be out of the comfort zone for those with a high frump-factor.

i usually use shuttleexpress for door-to-door from airport to downtown and back.

no answers, just opinions

have you ever stayed at a hostel? have you ever stayed at the moore?

the moore is a clean, low amenity, very friendly hotel, located in a very convenient place. far and away different from a hostel.

your needs/standards may be different than mine.

have you ever stayed at a hostel? have you ever stayed at the moore?

the moore is a clean, low amenity, very friendly hotel, located in a very convenient place. far and away different from a hostel.

your needs/standards may be different than mine.

I basically, sort of, more or less live in a building very like the Moore (one reason I wouldn't stay there, too much like home). I live in a 100 year old building in Belltown with SRO's in the basement and apartments on the other floors. Steam heat, ancient claw foot tubs that you need a step stool to climb in and out of, unbearably hot winter and summer......kinda like a NYC railroad flat.

And, yes, I have stayed at the Moore, once before I moved up here full time. It was clean and friendly, as you have said, but it is just not my sort of place (OK, so now ask me why I live where I do.......don't have any choice right now). I wouldn't stay at the Hotel Seattle again, either...:eek:

I wouldn't stay at the Hotel Seattle again, either...:eek:

karen -

hey!! i've been there, and the pacific hotel. no more. then migrated to what is now the executive hotel pacific (can't remember the old name) @ 4th and spring. but it thought it went upscale and could start catering to businesspersons. it's now priced beyond its value.

i laughed when you mentioned green tortise, yes, total no frump factor. with their hostile hostel, they used to run a cross-country and pac-coast bus route but recently i've seen them in tiny town a couple of times a year. no balconies, no formal dining night, no concern about an inside or outside cabin....they have fallen below my current frump tolerance.

karen -

hey!! i've been there, and the pacific hotel. no more. then migrated to what is now the executive hotel pacific (can't remember the old name) @ 4th and spring. but it thought it went upscale and could start catering to businesspersons. it's now priced beyond its value.

i laughed when you mentioned green tortise, yes, total no frump factor. with their hostile hostel, they used to run a cross-country and pac-coast bus route but recently i've seen them in tiny town a couple of times a year. no balconies, no formal dining night, no concern about an inside or outside cabin....they have fallen below my current frump tolerance.

Actually the Executive Hotel Pacific is no particular great shakes either.

I think that the Tortoise Bus is no more, for about a year now (unless they found the money somewhere to repair it and return it to the road). I once thought to take it from LA to SEA, but later changed my mind.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are feeling really adventerous take a flight into Seattle that arrives around Midnight/ 1:00 am. Crash in the terminal for 4 hours and then catch a taxi to the Train Station for the 6:00 am train. Arrive in Vancouver around 11:30 ish (depending on unplanned red lights along the route) and take a taxi to Canada Center or Ballyantyne (10-15 minute ride). Total Spent would be $40 one way.

I'm flying in to Seattle on Wednesday 5/20, arriving 11:33pm. My plan was to stay near the airport and take a cab to the train station for the trip to Vancouver - the train leaves at 7:40am on 5/21 if my memory is working correctly. Amtrak says to be at the station at least 30 minutes before departure but my plan is to be there by 6:30am at the latest. Is this a good plan, or is it better to stay at a hotel close to downtown on Wednesday night? I have no idea what the morning traffic is like in Seattle.

Thanks!

Liz

I'm flying in to Seattle on Wednesday 5/20, arriving 11:33pm. My plan was to stay near the airport and take a cab to the train station for the trip to Vancouver - the train leaves at 7:40am on 5/21 if my memory is working correctly. Amtrak says to be at the station at least 30 minutes before departure but my plan is to be there by 6:30am at the latest. Is this a good plan, or is it better to stay at a hotel close to downtown on Wednesday night? I have no idea what the morning traffic is like in Seattle.

Thanks!

Liz

Seattle is notorious for bad traffic. To be downtown between 6 and 6:30, you would do well to leave the airport area not later than about 5:15 am. It is hardly worth paying downtown prices to sleep for just 2-3 hours, that is for sure.

If you are feeling really adventerous take a flight into Seattle that arrives around Midnight/ 1:00 am. Crash in the terminal for 4 hours and then catch a taxi to the Train Station for the 6:00 am train. Arrive in Vancouver around 11:30 ish (depending on unplanned red lights along the route) and take a taxi to Canada Center or Ballyantyne (10-15 minute ride). Total Spent would be $40 one way.

That's pretty much my plan - my flight gets in at 11:55pm (if on time) and I am planning on using Priceline to get a cheap airport hotel for a few hours sleep, though I'm hoping I get a nap on the plane ;) Up around 5am to get on the 194 bus to downtown so I can be @ King Street Station by 6:45. I'm already assuming I'll be napping whenever my room is ready until sailaway, but that's okay by me.

Archived