Transatlantic Sea Days

jt58203

Just curious....How are the sea days on a Celebrity transatlantic? Are the activities the same as any typical sea day as on a 7-night cruise, just many more of them? How about being out on deck--is it usually very windy or nice enough to lounge around. Also--are the outdoor pools open (or it it too cold for that). I probably won't book a TA for this year, but for future reference. Thanks.

Celebrity did have some very nice lecturers on board for sea days. We don't do the deck thing.

Having said that, you never know about the weather. We did a TA from Barcelona to FLL December 07 and the sea days were:

3 - Wonderful

1 - Dang hot

1 - Raining

One lecturer was a former CEO at Southwest before he made (and admited) a mistake to moving to another airline. There was also a guy who did a sort of lecture on the 50/60 TV shows (like I love Luci).

You can be as busy as you want to be I think.

We signed up for our 2nd TA. Our first was on the Constellation from San Juan to Dover Apr06 and now the Nov 09 Solstice Rome to FLL. We are taking the cruise before to the East Med for a B2B.

The sea days are different on a TA. They usually have a special guest(s) to speak on a number of days. Very interesting.We had Marlin Fitzwater, the Press Sec for Reagan and Bush Sr. Loved all his talks. Also had the Ambassador to the Soviet Union in the 80s. Excellent stuff.

More wine tastings and special events beyond the usual. That is one (including reduced costs) reason we take TA's.

The weather varies as much as it does for port-intensive cruises, depending on the time and LUCK. The pools are open - we sailed in Apr-May 06 and now in Dec 09 (will be cooler!).The Atlantic was like a lake in April.

Enjoyed the mix of Caribbean and European ports. And loved the sea days. You can't beat a TA. You will find a thousand things to do.

Denny

I think that's great about having lecturers & things like that to do. I'd prefer activities like that rather than lounging outside. How rough were the seas? Would a December TA be better than an April TA or about the same?

Transatlantic cruises evolve into a "crossing". The atmosphere changes. It is completely different than a Caribbean cruise. The sea days have a variety of things to do....or just do nothing. We love our sea days. We visit with friends, attend lectures, wine tastings and blendings, trivia, movies, bingo, spa sessions, and always have great naps! It's leisurely and relaxing.

As far as rough seas...it depends on whether it's an Eastbound or Westbound. Spring or Fall. Northern route or Southern route. The sea can be unpredictable, but we have found that the Southern crossings are warmer.

Archived