Canada cruise with 15 y.o. - June 20

jimmyatc

We are going on a 5 day NY to Canada cruise on June 20th. My 15 y.o. niece has now asked to go with us. I am worried that there will be too few teens on the cruise (many still in school that week) and the pool water will still be too cold for swimming. It seems like a more "adult" oriented itinerary based on the destinations and the time of year.

Will there be enough teens and enough to do to keep her happy/busy?? We have excursions planned in the ports, so that will be no problem, but I want her to have fun on the ship too.

I am looking for info from anyone with kids and experience on this itinerary in early June.

Thanks, Jim

I hate to say it, but you may be right. A Canada itinerary almost always brings out an older crowd...HOWEVER...it's right in the middle of summer, so that means there are bound to be at least a few families onboard. If she's able to keep herself happy and occupied without a bunch of other teens around, I say go for it. There's enough to do on the ship that she should have fun regardless.

While a lot of New York public schools will still be in session (that week is my kids' last week of school), a lot of the private schools and New Jersey schools will already be done for the year. We sailed this itinerary in 2004 on June 28 and there were lots of kids aboard. Your niece will be able to go to Club O2, the teen program for 15-17 YOs; our oldest son has loved Club O2.

We are going on a 5 day NY to Canada cruise on June 20th. My 15 y.o. niece has now asked to go with us. I am worried that there will be too few teens on the cruise (many still in school that week) and the pool water will still be too cold for swimming. It seems like a more "adult" oriented itinerary based on the destinations and the time of year.

Will there be enough teens and enough to do to keep her happy/busy?? We have excursions planned in the ports, so that will be no problem, but I want her to have fun on the ship too.

I am looking for info from anyone with kids and experience on this itinerary in early June.

Thanks, Jim

I have sailed a few times in late May thru early June. There were kids on the ship. Camp Carnival has always been known as a great place for kids. The shorter cruises the C.T.N's, the 4 and 5 day cruises tend to attract a lot of children. Also June thru early September also draws a lot of kids.

Kids will make their own fun. Don't worry. In April 2003 we went on the repositioning cruise of the HAL Amsterdam, with only 12 kids on board (and only 176 adults). We had heavy rain and rough seas the last two days. All the kids were in the pool with HUGE grins on their faces.

They say that this was their best cruise ever!

Let's start with the fact that your teenaged niece actually wants to spend time with you. Cherish that! Many teens avoid adult relatives like the plague!

Take her on the cruise for no other reason than that!

Second -- don't worry about the pool. If the ship has a hot tub that's where she'll be. If you were in the Caribbean in August, she'd do the same thing.

Third -- there will be plenty of teens on board for her to hang with. Make sure she goes to Club O2 the first day.

Fourth -- teenagers will surprise you. My 15 year old daughter still talks about the beauty of the coast of Maine from a visit three years ago. Your niece will find things she likes on that itinerary.

Finally -- don't worry if she says, at some point, she's bored. There's nothing to do. She wishes she was still back home. That's something many teens seem to say at some point on a cruise. This is the time for YOU to enjoy her company! Play cards, go for a walk, head to the hot tub, join a cruise trivia contest, play bingo with her. Tell her an amusing story about your life as a teen when you didn't have ipods, cell phones or laptops to entertain yourself!

Bon Voyage

I will also be on that cruise and will have my Daughter with me. She be be 11. Her last day of school is the 19th and we go the next day. She is not a teen but she can't wait to go. She doesn't care what the weather will be like or where the cruise goes. She just loves to cruise.

I think one of the pools has a retractable roof on it if the weather is too bad. I know my Daughter will swim in a cold pool. I don't think kids notice a cold pool as much as an adult would.

What I am saying is that I think she will have a great time no matter what.

Archived