I Love Holland America but...

MarylandBob

Yes, but that means we don't all like production shows and country/western music. Some of us do like the music of the 90s and later. I know they aren't going to book Coldplay or Jason Mraz, but I would love to have at some some option during a cruise to enjoy music of that genre, too. Just my $0.02.

Coldplay on HAL??? Now that would be great. Rock the boat baby!!!!!!!

Because HAL is also trying to appeal to a younger demographic such as myself. They cannot rely on the "older" passenger with all of the ships that they have in service. They need to update their entertainment. Not all of us like ballroom dancing. Different strokes!!!!!! :)

Since almost every cruiseline now appeals to a "younger demographic), wouldn't it be nice if there was one cruise line that appeals to "older" passengers? That cruise line used to be HAL but Carnival is busy trying to make it like all the others. In doing so, I doubt they are attracting a younger group which is already being wooed by RCCL, Celebrity, Carnival, Princess etc. but they are losing their original base. For years, HAL attracted a particular group because they alone provided a different, more sophisticated cruise experience. Now they are becoming just one of the pack. It reminds me of General Motors, too many models all providing the same thing. For those who dismiss ballroom dancing, try to remember that disco may come and disco may go but the waltz goes on forever. Anybody can gyrate by themselves on the dance floor, you don't even need a partner.

Since almost every cruiseline now appeals to a "younger demographic), wouldn't it be nice if there was one cruise line that appeals to "older" passengers? That cruise line used to be HAL but Carnival is busy trying to make it like all the others. In doing so, I doubt they are attracting a younger group which is already being wooed by RCCL, Celebrity, Carnival, Princess etc. but they are losing their original base. For years, HAL attracted a particular group because they alone provided a different, more sophisticated cruise experience. Now they are becoming just one of the pack. It reminds me of General Motors, too many models all providing the same thing. For those who dismiss ballroom dancing, try to remember that disco may come and disco may go but the waltz goes on forever. Anybody can gyrate by themselves on the dance floor, you don't even need a partner.

Does this mean that the original base can't get along with a younger crowd? ....and some of us that like to gyrate by ourselves to house music or disco on the dance floor, can dance a classic waltz as good as any.

I studied ballet as a youth, however, I don't expect to see many folks doing a grand jete across the dance floor ( although it would be wonderful). My 70 year old aunt does not hesitate to get out on the dance floor when the music is a waltz, 70's dico, Duke Ellington.

I think Holland America must appeal to a broad audience in order to survive long term. Not just because of the economic downturn, but inevitably - there is the circle of life. I don't beleive that this should in any way dimish the line in the hearts and minds of older folks.

It's nice tat Holland America appeals to an older crowd - every line has it's own appeal.

You are one hard gal to keep up with! :D Ok, I'm game, sign me up for the huckle buck while using a hoola hoop in the pool while having a wang wang -- I'm there! (just leave the monkeys and chickens out of the pool) lol :D

We actually did have some GREAT entertainment on our 15-day Med cruise last year. Looking back at our daily programs, these are what I remember as outstanding:

Viviana Guzman, a flutist, Shirley Dominguez, a harpist, Count Dimas, a "truly virtuosic pianist, plays several instruments, including his hilarious "Draculaphone". (sounds silly, but this guy was a master in classical music. Then he brings out his Draculaphone and had everyone rolling in the aisles)truly a one of a kind showman. That cruise also had Penny Mathisen, from Sydney's Opera House and London, (when she sang from The Phantom she had everyone mesmerized).

That was the kind of entertainment I wish we could have on every cruise, it was great!

I move pretty quickly for an "old lady" (as my oldest calls me). Even my hubby had a hard time keeping up with me on this last cruise. :) You're on the list! I'll pass it along to HB, our activities director. :)

I had never heard of that dance until I read about it here, but I think it would be fun to learn, and great exercise.

The entertainment on your Med cruise sounds like it was very good. On our next cruise, we need to try and make it to more of the shows. I always enjoy the crew show but on this last cruise it was held fairly late in the evening.

Archived