Denali or Kenai Fjords

irvine

Hi everyone,

I've decided to go on the Sapphire Princess on the 5/16 sailing from Vancouver to Whittier. Thanks for your inputs on helping me decided in my earlier thread.

I am now trying to decide what to do with 2-3 days in Alaska after we disembark at Whittier on 5/23. If I only have 2-3 days, which would you recommend going for Kenai Fjords or Denali? Is there a "must-see" itinerary that people generally go when they have a few days post cruise? I see that the drive from Anchorage to Denali is 4-5 hours. If we go to Denali, I have the option of flying out of Fairbanks. But I have a 3 year old in my family. I am not sure if he will sit well during the long tours in Denali. Thanks in advance for your inputs!

It will cost more to rent a car with a one-way drop off fee, but I would suggest you rent in Whittier or Anchorage, drive to Denali that evening, spend two nights in Denali and drive to Fairbanks the next day and drop off the rental car. A car will give you a great deal of flexibility with a 3 yr old. You can book the shuttle into Denali and get off and back on again as needed.

The alternative would be Seward, but a 3 yr old is not likely to enjoy the sea life center, hiking, kayaking, fishing, or a long boat ride to the glaciers with no way out.

I would skip Denali Park, it isn't appropriate for a 3 year old, sorry. The shuttle bus is running to Toklat in that timeframe, starts 5/24. You also are underestimating distances and stops.

There is another potential problem, with you considering Kenai Fjords- I'm assuming a boat tour??? Again, this is a tour, of many hours, in a small confined space, with NO way out. And a 3 year old isn't going to be able to spot much wildlife or probably even be interested?? Your time is going to be occupied, and it won't be on the tour. I suggest you really need to consider an unpredictable 3 year old.

Seward does offer plenty of activities certainly, the Sea Life center is very well done and easy to view, Seavey's Sled dog cart rides are excellent. Exit Glacier is easy and wonderful hiking. http://www.seward.com

We are also traveling with children and spending a few days south of Anchorage before our cruise. We are considering "short" tour excursions....Portage Glacier visitor center and one hour boat tour seems perfect. Also the wild life conservation center. Then the sealife center and hiking at Exit Glacier down by Seward. Maybe a ride up the mountain at Aleska resort & a hike near by or gold mining at crow creek mine. Maybe take the train to Anchorage to pick up your rental car.....trains can be fun for kids and it won't be too long...then you'll have your car to pick up and drop off in Anchorage before you leave (without a one way rental cost). Sled dogs in Seward would probably be fun and maybe the seward museum. We are checking out things to see in Cooper landing.....I think my boys would enjoy seeing someone catch a couple of fish.....(if anyone has a suggestion for this)

Anyway.....my suggestions are all shorter tours and trips...with lots of flexibility. Also, you might consider staying somewhere with cooking facilities & washer/dryer (after your cruise) - we are renting a condo and doing daytrips from Girdwood.

Enjoy,

Judy

I have to disagree with BQ. I love Denali in late May. Even with the shuttles running only partway in the park, you probably wouldn't want to go much further with a 3 year old. I always see lots of animals early in the season, as the snow in the high country keeps them closer to the road. We were at Tek last year the day before the shuttle started (you can drive your car in) and heard wolves howling, saw bears digging for roots in the river bed, and even saw a lynx. In addition, there are good bargains to be had on lodging.

Thanks everyone for your inputs. I would really love to visit Denali, but after having read the replies, I might be underd estimating the journey since I have a 3 year old. I think "Paumavista" has a good suggestion. We'll take it easy this time and hopefully get to return for Denali in the future when my kids are older. Thanks again for all your helpful insights.

Irvine- Do you live in OC? If you do, driving from ANC to Denali is like driving up to Mammoth. Very scenic and traffic moves right along, but only you know whether or not your 3yo will be fascinated or think its a long, boring car ride. There's roadhouses and gas stations every hour or so along the route. You can also visit Talkeetna as well as the several scenic vista points enroute. A Denali trip is more compatible with a toddler than a PWS or Kenai Fjords cruise. As others have said you will get at least a flavor of Denali, be aware the best stuff tends to be farther in.

Also a OW drop in FAI with the extra airfare is probably more expensive and time-consuming than driving back to ANC. Save the money and apply it to better shorex on your cruise.

We are picking our car up in Anchorage, driving to Denali & flying out of

Fairbanks (we just assumed it would be easier than driving back to Anchorage). Our drop off fee was $250, making our car rental for 2 days

over $650. If I could change our flight, I would just skip Denali & stay

in Anchorage, but it's too much money to change.

Archived