Navigator and Ship time

We are sailing on the NOS on March 23rd. I have a question about ships time.

We are considering booking an independent excursion that departed at 10 am local time and the ship docks at 8 am according to the published itinerary. Is the docking time in Miami time or local time?

If in Miami time, does that mean the excursion does not depart until 12 noon ship time? So we would have 4 hours between docking and departing of the excursion?

We are thinking of booking through shoretrips.com, a private beach excursion where you could depart at various times. We would need to leave for the boat by 4 pm ship time, which would be 2 pm local time.

So that would give us 4 hours on the beach. Do I have this right? All this math is giving me a headache.

Of course, all this is wrong if the docking time on the itinerary is on local time..which means we would be 2 hours off. I did a search and some people say the itinerary is on local time..some say ship time. Very confusing.

We are sailing on the NOS on March 23rd. I have a question about ships time.

We are considering booking an independent excursion that departed at 10 am local time and the ship docks at 8 am according to the published itinerary. Is the docking time in Miami time or local time?

If in Miami time, does that mean the excursion does not depart until 12 noon ship time? So we would have 4 hours between docking and departing of the excursion?

We are thinking of booking through shoretrips.com, a private beach excursion where you could depart at various times. We would need to leave for the boat by 4 pm ship time, which would be 2 pm local time.

So that would give us 4 hours on the beach. Do I have this right? All this math is giving me a headache.

Of course, all this is wrong if the docking time on the itinerary is on local time..which means we would be 2 hours off. I did a search and some people say the itinerary is on local time..some say ship time. Very confusing.

Consider emailing shoretrips and asking them "How long after ship's docking can we start the excursion?" Then the "time" doesn't matter. They (all tour companies) know the ship's schedule. Take the worry out and just let them tell you - IMHO Enjoy :)

That's right--you have no need to know what time it is at any port---whatever time the ship's clocks are set to is the time you use.

So, if your excursions starts at 10am, then show up at 10am SHIP'S TIME!

Thanks! I think I will call them tomorrow. The times for the departures are listed as local time so I know they are not ship's time. But it seems odd that an excursion wouldn't start until noon. :)

Yes... this has me completely confused also. My booking agent from Royal Caribbean does say that when it says NOS docks at 7 a.m. and leaves at 7 p.m. (on 3/21) that does mean "local" Cozumel time. And, on that date, Cozumel is on Central Standard Time while Ft. Laudedale (departure port) is on Eastern Daylight Savings time... so two hours earlier.

For various reasons, we have booked an excursion with RCI. (Found an independent excursion we liked... but then for that excursion, the website throws cruise passengers back to the respective cruise line for booking). Our excursion leaves at 8 a.m.

Will the ship change its clocks that day.... to Cozumel time. Otherwise, for instance, if go into Cozumel for morning... and come back to ship for lunch.... if noon Cozumel time... then if ship still on Eastern time, the lunch would be at 2 (on clock time.. if still on Eastern time).

If everything on boat changes to Central standard time overnight ... that is the simplest to understand... But, if not, very confusing.

In otherwords, before I go to bed, I would assume I need to set back my clocks for two hours (to adjust to Central time)... otherwise would be getting up two hours too early????

This should not be so confusing... but seems to be....

Will the ship change its clocks that day.... to Cozumel time. Otherwise, for instance, if go into Cozumel for morning... and come back to ship for lunch.... if noon Cozumel time... then if ship still on Eastern time, the lunch would be at 2 (on clock time.. if still on Eastern time).

If everything on boat changes to Central standard time overnight ... that is the simplest to understand... But, if not, very confusing.

In otherwords, before I go to bed, I would assume I need to set back my clocks for two hours (to adjust to Central time)... otherwise would be getting up two hours too early????

This should not be so confusing... but seems to be....

Don't try to overthink things. If the ship is going to change times when it enters or leaves a different time zone, the daily compass, and probably the dining room staff and the CD will alert you to the need to change your watches. Sometimes the ships adjust their times to match local times and sometimes they don't. You needn't worry. You will be informed. Local tour operators also know what times (local) the ships arrive and depart and will arrange their tours accordingly. The times that they quote will most likely be in local time but even if your ship does not adjust its clocks, you should be able to convert the times without any great effort.:)

Archived