What to take with you at the port of calls

This is our first cruise and we are trying to figure out what exactly we should take on our port of calls. We are going on the March 21st IOS to Puerto Rico, St. Maarten, St Thomas, and Labadee. Do we need to take our passports when we leave the ship? Are we able to use our debit or credit cards or should we only take cash? Also as far as drinks and things should we take drinks in our bags. My wife is wondering what type of purse or bag should we take? It is only my wife and I so we dont need a ton of things. Just wondering what everyone packed on the port days.

Thanks,

We take a backpack with towells, sunscreen, a book, sunglasses, camera, copies of our passports, driver's license and cash and a credit card in case we miss the ship. We are beach people so we ususally head to the beach to have lunch and spend the day.

Passports -- We don't take our passports off the ship (we keep them in the safe the entire cruise) but we DO make copies of our passports before we leave, and we DO take those copies with us when we leave the ship.

Cash -- As far as cash, we take as much cash as we need just for that port and leave the rest in the safe. We take just one credit card (no debit card) just in case something bad happens and we need the security of that credit card.

Water -- We always take a bottle of water for each of us when we leave the ship.

Beach Towels -- Take the towels with you from the ship but be sure to bring them back with you.

Port Agent -- Take the Cruise Compass (you get this each evening on your bed, from your cabin steward). On it will be the name and contact information for the port agent in the specific port. Take this information with you in case anything happens to you in port so you can communicate with the ship in an emergency.

SeaPass card -- And of course you will need to take this with you when you leave the ship, or they won't let you off the ship! :)

Bag -- If you have a day bag/tote bag, that's all you should need. You can carry the above, plus a digital camera and/or camcorder. If you're snorkeling, bring a waterproof camera with you and leave your regular digital camera in your safe in your cabin.

If you're planning on shopping in St. Maarten or St. Thomas, I would probably bring a credit card with your cash. Some times the exchange rate is better if you charge things. Definitely bring a bag with all the stuff listed above.

For Labadee, it will depend on if you are doing anything. I like to bring my IPod and a book/magazines since I am lounging on a beach chair all day. But don't bring anything too valuable where ever you go.

Also, if you can, scan your passport info and e-mail it to yourself and a family member at home so they have it in case something happens.

Have a great time!

Port Agent -- Take the Cruise Compass (you get this each evening on your bed, from your cabin steward). On it will be the name and contact information for the port agent in the specific port. Take this information with you in case anything happens to you in port so you can communicate with the ship in an emergency.

Great Advice. I never thought of this. Thank you.

Passports -- We don't take our passports off the ship (we keep them in the safe the entire cruise) but we DO make copies of our passports before we leave, and we DO take those copies with us when we leave the ship.

Cash -- As far as cash, we take as much cash as we need just for that port and leave the rest in the safe. We take just one credit card (no debit card) just in case something bad happens and we need the security of that credit card.

Water -- We always take a bottle of water for each of us when we leave the ship.

Beach Towels -- Take the towels with you from the ship but be sure to bring them back with you.

SeaPass card -- And of course you will need to take this with you when you leave the ship, or they won't let you off the ship! :)

Bag -- If you have a day bag/tote bag, that's all you should need. You can carry the above, plus a digital camera and/or camcorder. If you're snorkeling, bring a waterproof camera with you and leave your regular digital camera in your safe in your cabin.

Ditto to this list...and bring your camera!

On Labadee, take a couple of $1 bills to tip out the guy that places your lounge.

I'm another one that leaves the passport on the ship but have a copy with me. However, as it has been pointed out that if you miss the ship, the copy isn't going to cut it at immigration. I just figure the odds of my passport being lost/stolen in port are a lot higher than the odds of me missing the ship. A friend of mine lost her passport (and purse) in the Azores. There was no problem getting her back on the ship with no ID but the passport had to be replaced. She was lucky our next port was Dublin where there was an embassy and she got it done there in half a day with assistance from the ship. However, our next stop was La Harvre with the nearest embassy in Paris, quite a distance, and if she had had to do it in London, the next and debarkation port, it would have been up to two weeks.

Take only what you need and keep important things (credit card, sea pass) close to your body. I use an expired driver's license as photo ID to get on the ship when coming back from a port stop. I also carry small amount of cash in a "throw down" wallet that is full of nothing but worthless stuff (those AMEX cards you get in the mail that say "your name here", pictures of people's grandbabies they have sent in Christmas cards, a couple of $1 bills sandwiching some play money, etc). While I've never been mugged, I am ready to hand over my "wallet" and run fast the opposite direction before they realize they have a wallet full of nothing other than maybe $5. Hopefully, the pickpockets will be happy thinking they picked my pocket and move on.

Tucker in Texas

Tucker - that s funny (faux wallet) I like that idea

I will scan my passports and send them to myself via email - that is another great idea. I use my Amex card everywhere and they have global assist - which can help you all over the world if you lose your passport, have a medical emergency, etc...having a copy of my important docs via email as well as the amex 1-800 number is what I need to feel safe.

This is our first cruise and we are trying to figure out what exactly we should take on our port of calls. We are going on the March 21st IOS to Puerto Rico, St. Maarten, St Thomas, and Labadee. Do we need to take our passports when we leave the ship? Are we able to use our debit or credit cards or should we only take cash? Also as far as drinks and things should we take drinks in our bags. My wife is wondering what type of purse or bag should we take? It is only my wife and I so we dont need a ton of things. Just wondering what everyone packed on the port days.

Thanks,

I wear a comfortable money belt which contains my passport, my ship account card and cash. Water is available ashore...no need to pack your own. I never use credit cards ashore....too much opportunity for someone to "steal" your number. I don't use my debit card anywhere at all except to draw cash if I need it.

If you are interested in a fine money belt, comfortable and large enough to hold everything; small enough to not be visible...here's a good link:

http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&theParentId=124&id=32

You only need your ship ID and a driver's lic. to get back on the ship. None of your ports require a passport--leave it in the safe in your cabin.

DO NOT make your wife carry everything in her purse---she's not a pack mule!

We use credit cards for any large purchases (which are few and far between!!!) and cash for any "straw market" items... Bring smaller bills for that, or you risk getting local money as change...., although in SJ and St. Thomas, it's American money, anyway!

If you're going to the beach, take your pool towels. That's all you really need!

If the safety of your passport is your highest priority, then of course you should lock it safely away in your stateroom safe when you leave the ship.:rolleyes: However, if you believe that you are as capable of protecting your passport as you are of protecting your wallet and other valuables while you are off the ship, and are at all concerned that something could delay your return to the ship before it sails, then bring your passport with you. If you don't, you won't be stranded for eternity in a foreign port, but getting home may be more of a hassle.:)

We take our RCI beach towels and baseball cap (if we are beach-bound), bottled water, camera, book/magazines, some cash, Amex card, SeaPass and our passports. I don't see myself losing my passport and a photocopy wouldn't be very useful. If there was some emergency that caused me to miss the ship, I would want my original passport and Amex card. I don't take my passport or Amex card ashore in Labadee. If anything happened there I imagine we'd go back to the ship for medical services.

Bringing the port agent's name and contact info is a great idea.

Archived