Door decorations?

Cruisequest

Is it okay to decorate the outside of your cabin door? On our upcoming cruise it's my MIL's 70th birthday and she would probably get a kick out of everyone knowing by having it announced on her door.

Are the doors metal (magnetic?) for birthday magnets?

I'd love some suggestions. What aabout posting her picture on the door? Dangerous? Silly?

Any input would be appreciated.

Go ahead...decorate your door. I usually do. A couple of things to remember tho:

...the decorations have to be put on using tape. They have to be able to be removed without damaging the door

...if the decorations are elaborate, expect them to be "borrowed" by your fellow passengers. As such, don't use any decorations you can't afford to lose

Don't put anything of any value, or anything that you expect to remain there for the duration of the cruise, on your door.

Door decorations are a favorite target of the teenage hooligans aboard ship.

A balloon is a must because it sticks out and helps locate the door to the stateroom quickly. I always take 4 or 5 because some people like to pop them. Many neighbors have said thankyou for having that balloon, especially for those of us who have a warped sense of direction, whether we are aft, forward, portside or starboard, it is almost a necessity.

Duct tape is what we use to make everything stick. We carry the roll with us. BTW, this time, I have 2 Cruise Critic Door posters: one for Ginag, my buddy who started the roll call and Zoomer and me.

We also decorate our port hole. It was fun to see it from the shore, in Calica. But it is correct, the nice ribbons get borrowed and the balloons may bet popped in the middle of the night.

I decorated our door and cabin for Halloween using double sided sticky tape. Everything came off clean and no one bothered our decorations. On a previous cruise, those "hooligans" defaced a picture on our door. Luckily it was only a copy of an original drawing while the original was framed and safely at home.

Door decorating sounds fun. We will be celebrating my bf's bday the day we set sail. I wouldn't mind doing something like this for him.

Soooooo, to get my creative juices flowing, please tell me, what kind of items do you use to decorate the door? Thanks for any and all input! :D

Happy sailing,

T.

We have been several holiday cruises,and never experienced any kind of theft. Who are these "hulligans" you are referring to, the Bowery Boys? Everyone's Christmas decorations on our deck were left intact and beautiful.

The level of paranoia on these boards is sometimes scary in itself. Relax, have fun, everyone is not out to "get you"

On the S&S cruise, I used "Caution, Do Not Enter" yellow tape... and several "halloween" themed door signs (silly ones like "The Party is Here, Bring your own BOOS", LOL, "Body Loading and Unloading Zone"... goofy stuff, nobody wanted, LOL)

T, go to the party store and look for birthday decor... you could get a happy bday banner, stuff like that... put balloons on the door, oh you can have some fun in a party store... all kinds of ideas!!! You can get door decoration that range from Happy Bday to Palm Trees... no limits to your imagination!!! You could also make copies of pictures of you and him... laminate some "love letters"... possibilities are endless...

T, go to the party store and look for birthday decor... you could get a happy bday banner, stuff like that... put balloons on the door, oh you can have some fun in a party store... all kinds of ideas!!! You can get door decoration that range from Happy Bday to Palm Trees... no limits to your imagination!!! You could also make copies of pictures of you and him... laminate some "love letters"... possibilities are endless...

GC, I knew I could count on YOU, gurl, to get my wheels a turning! FABULOUS ideas! :::kisses::::

Happy sailing,

T.

No prob girl!!! Another thing you could do that would be cute... you now how when you go to buy bday cards and you can never decide on just one? You could buy up a ton of cards... write something sweet in each one and paste a copy of a picture of the two of you in each one... You could even just let him open one each time you come to the cabin... make it fun for him!!!

I used magnetic paper and made door signs for our cabin doors. I had a photo of the Conquest with our names, hometown, and CC names. Then I placed them beside our cabin doors because the Conquest doesn't have door that magnets stick too..but the walls work fine! I also had a dry erase magnetic sign we used to let our group know where most of us would be at different times..Helped keep us together and not wandering around looking for each other..But by the end of the cruise..we were getting real silly with our messages to each other!

We have been several holiday cruises,and never experienced any kind of theft. . Relax, have fun, everyone is not out to "get you"

Nobody has ever defaced my door either. But, then again, I never put something of a whole lot of value on them. But the OP mentioned a picture of the "birthday girl". In all probability, nothing will happen. But, if something does happen--let it happen to a copy. Not an original you can't replace.

Better to be safe than sorry.

you could put a poster up with a pen attached to a string for folks to write their congrats, too.

there is a thread on door decorating. it may be on the fun stuff board.

i have used things from party shops and arts and crafts places like michaels. also magnetic computer paper from walmart.

On the S&S cruise, I used "Caution, Do Not Enter" yellow tape... and several "halloween" themed door signs (silly ones like "The Party is Here, Bring your own BOOS", LOL, "Body Loading and Unloading Zone"... goofy stuff, nobody wanted, LOL)

GC, You need to address the issue of "Hooligans" defacing door decorations. Seems like every time I passed by Host Kinky's door it was strangely different.:rolleyes:

Someone borrowed one of my little devils on Seinsation too. No great loss. It was funny watching people walking down the hall talking about my door. Always makes it easier to find your cabin after those late nights.....if you can just get on the correct deck. All those hallways look the same....don't they??? :eek:

I wanted to put up an inflatable Corona bottle and palm tree, but was told that I would probably be made to remove it. Something about blocking the hallway should there be an emergency. (must be those damned folks with the irons, candles and bungees)

And strollers and walkie-talkies. :rolleyes:

Ah yes, forgot about "those". Can't put a palm tree up but we can leave a stoller in the hall overnight *shakes head*

I used magnetic paper and made door signs for our cabin doors. I had a photo of the Conquest with our names, hometown, and CC names. Then I placed them beside our cabin doors because the Conquest doesn't have door that magnets stick too..but the walls work fine! QUOTE]

Do you, or anyone else, know if the Miracle has doors that will let magnetic paper sitck? Thanks!

• 2 months later...
Would duct tape be okay or does it leave marks? (I know someone used duck tape on the railing on our balcony on the Victory--it was a sticky mess the whole week.

You could use clear duct tape. My roommate has some and it doesn't leave the marks that regular duct tape does.

I have lost 1 dry erase pen in 3 cruises since we started putting up our 'group' signs and a dry erase message board. Besides the double sided tape, I use that 'play dough' like stikum stuff (what do you call that product, anyway??) It will keep a dry erase board attatched to the door for the entire week, and comes off without a stain or residue.

It is funny to listen to others in the hall commenting on our signs. One lady was badgering her husband to go find out why they did not get signs on their door like all of the others did. (Her cabin was in the midst of our group)

I attatched a copy of our door sign to the other thread with the same name as this one.

Archived