bringing alcohol

gacruiser

I was also able to bring 2 wine boxes on board without any problems 2 years ago. I didn't even try to hide it in my luggage

We were able to bring beer and wine on board from the ports both on the Norweigan Dream and a Princess cruise 5 years ago.

They were looking for liquor and didn't even stop us. One time they did tell us to go check it at the liquor table but they were busy so we kept on going.

I have to ask again, are cruise ships cracking down more? We have never had a problem with this.

I'll cry if they take my wine boxes.

Just got back from Sky- had 2 rumrunners in my carryon beach bag and one in check suitcase, I also had a duffel bag FULL of waters, Sprite, Cranberry juice and club soda and my bag made it to my room without a problem- no naughty room for us!! Also they had to search my freinds carry on and security pulled out her toiletry bag and opened it- saw the Rumrunner inside and didnt say anything!!

Sounds like I need to get a bunch of rumrunners. Am cruising on Sunday so I don't think I'll get them in time if ordering online. Can you buy these things anywhere?

People here have been saying they arrive VERY fast, but this list is from their website:

RETAIL LOCATIONS

Gresham Liquor Store

2414 SE Burnside Rd

Gresham, OR 97080

503-665-9327

A.D. Flint Luggage And Leather Goods

3400 Monroe Ave

Rochester, NY 14618-4725

Top’s Liquor

403 W University Dr Ste 104

Tempe AZ 85281-5542

480-967-5643

Jerry’s Liquors

1217 S Rural Rd

Tempe AZ 85281-2007

480-966-8655

Tucson, AZ- U of A Campus

Katy Zimorino

602-513-6968

Australia and New Zealand

Jill Fallon

rumrunnerflasks@bigpond.com

I love the whole "naughty room" name. :D We had to go to the naughty room before but not for the case of wine we brought on in clear view but because my DH had are you ready for this--a weapon in his suitcase! :eek: No, there was not a weapon per say but his miniature Swiss key chain army knife with our house keys left in a pants pocket from the trip down to Florida. They opened the bag and that is what they found. Personally I think they wanted to just see what was in the bag and made up a story. No worries since I still had my nice wine to enjoy when we returned to the cabin.

I love the whole "naughty room" name. :D We had to go to the naughty room before but not for the case of wine we brought on in clear view but because my DH had are you ready for this--a weapon in his suitcase! :eek: No, there was not a weapon per say but his miniature Swiss key chain army knife with our house keys left in a pants pocket from the trip down to Florida. They opened the bag and that is what they found. Personally I think they wanted to just see what was in the bag and made up a story. No worries since I still had my nice wine to enjoy when we returned to the cabin.

That's interesting, I always wondered if they would freak out about finding those. Believe it or not I bring mine with me as well, it's on my keychain. I put it in the basket at security in the airport (along with my change, watch, etc...) and although they always make me empty out my carry-on bag (what I call my electronics bag) they've never mentioned or wanted to look at the knife. It's only about 2 inches long but I'm sure I could give someone a nasty paper cut sized wound if I was backed into a corner.

Yup, people do it all the time. They are plastic and don't set off the detectors.

CG

Thx Gram. Just from what I've been reading recently, I hadn't seen where someone actually had one in their pocket. I will be sure to tell SIL this as she wants to have a cocktail during sail away and DOES NOT intend on paying for one...in her case five that she will more than likely consume in the buffet area before the ship sails:eek:

NCL really gets nuts about bringing some liquor on board. Although it seems hit and miss, no other cruise line has a naughty room. I guess they like to embarras passengers so they won't sail with them again. Great business plan!

If you put clear liquor in a water bottle and put it in your carry on, I dont see them taking it. I had 3 liters of water in my backpack, and they xrayed it and didnt say a thing. They dont have time to inspect every bottle to see if its open or not.

I used Rum runners, and they are located in Arizona thats why they have retail outlets there

Thanks, I thought that maybe NCL has some type of new technology that when a person accidentally brings alcohol (okay sneaks alcohol) on the ship the x-ray machine goes off like a blue light special!!!!

Just know that you are taking your chances. There are stories on these boards of people being caught all the time when taking alcohol in water bottles or Listerine bottles, etc. While it is true, they can't check every bottle, they do check some. The only method that we haven't heard of being caught is the rumrunners. But if you are caught, the worst that happens is they confiscate it until the end of your cruise.

How do you pack them in your suitcase in the original bottle without them breaking?

Thanks for all the info

You can buy plastic liquor bottles. Our liquor store sells them in the same size as a regular booze bottle (called "Traveler"). I bought Bacardi Rum in the plastic and am putting in my checked suitcase. I will transfer the rum into the rum runner flask at the hotel.

Thanks Bermuder. You've convinced me to order. I'm going to have them sent to our hotel in Miami to be sure.

If you are talking about having something mailed/shipped to the hotel to await your arrival, good luck. Hotels seem to have a terrible time keeping track of stuff shipped to guests, based on my past life as a meeting planner.

Just got off the Sky on Friday and used the Rum Runners and they worked great. We filled them up the night before boarding the crusie, and then in each port. had them in both checked bags and carry ons, got them through every time. Saved us a TON on alcohol. We did buy glasses of wine with dinner (not terribly overpriced $6-9 a glass plus 18%) and a couple martinis on 2-1 night. You can bring your mixers too, no problem. We packed a suitcase full of mixers (soda, sour, juice, water) and had no problem.

As for the box of wine, I can see where removing the box and bringing the bladder would work, similar concept to the rum runners....but, why would you want to drink wine in a box? Unless I am missing great advances in bixed wine quality, I can't see any reason to drink that stuff. Just my opinion. :)

Actually, the box-o-wine concept has come a long way. More and more wineries are using box-o-wine for their very good wines so it's not just the cheap wines that are found in boxes. I enjoy several that come in boxes as well as those that come corked.

If you buy liquor in plastic bottles and pack that in your checked luggage, what are the chances it will be identified as contraband as the bags come aboard the ship? Anyone tried that? Would the shape of the plastic bottle tell the person watching the scanner that you were up to no good?

Would the shape of the plastic bottle tell the person watching the scanner that you were up to no good?

It might.

Think about how the luggage goes thru the scanner and position your bottle so they look at it from the top down instead of a side view. Of course that's if your luggage is 'thick' enough. If it isn't you could turn it so they see the 'skinny' side of the bottle

Darn-I know they read this board so they might be looking for what I just said ;)

If your flying into or will be in Miami or other ports a day early. Have the cab driver stop at a liquor store on the way to the hotel. Enjoy a couple of drinks and transfer the rest into the rum runner. You end up paying for your rum runners after about 3 drinks on the ship.

If somehow they find any liquor on the ship, just put it back in your luggage and take it home. We had 5 big bottles of booze in our luggage on they way home and everything made it home a-ok.

95% of people wouldnt be able to tell box wine from $75 a bottle or 3 buck chuck from Trader Joes. If you can tell the difference and its an issue, then paying for wine shouldnt matter to you.

Archived