Jax Port NOT going to move

I am also very disappointed to hear that the new port won't be built in Mayport:( DH and I live an hour west of Jax and enjoy cruising from there several times a year. The debate has been very contentious and I feel the economic influence would have been great if a larger port could have been built and more ships allowed. I hope Carnival will still stay in Jax!

I hope Carnival stays here too... this is stupid if you ask me.... someone commented on the story that Cruise Ships add Crime, Filth and unwanted traffic... gimme a break... I posted a reply... I probably should have thought more before I did but my hot temper got the best of me. I wasn't rude but I probably could have replied better... oh well... I got my point across....

CRIME??? oh geezzz :eek: :confused: :mad:

I am also very disappointed to hear that the new port won't be built in Mayport:( DH and I live an hour west of Jax and enjoy cruising from there several times a year. The debate has been very contentious and I feel the economic influence would have been great if a larger port could have been built and more ships allowed. I hope Carnival will still stay in Jax!

If Carnival will just keep the Fantasy Class ships in JAX, all will be fine. Now if Carnival will offer a 7 night itinerary this would be a smart move IMHO, and that would be GREAT and I would still sail from there on a Fantasy Class ship (hopefully with the new balcony add-ons) !

I was hoping for a 6 or 7 night as well... it would be easier for me to talk DH into a longer cruise leaving from here.... meaning not driving down to the other ports.

Even more 5 nights with different ports!

If Carnival will just keep the Fantasy Class ships in JAX, all will be fine. Now if Carnival will offer a 7 night itinerary this would be a smart move IMHO, and that would be GREAT and I would still sail from there on a Fantasy Class ship (hopefully with the new balcony add-ons) !

That might still happen but using the Fantasy class ship. When the Fantasy goes to Mobile, it is doing the 4/5 night schedule. In 2010, they are doing six 7-night sailings. 2 in May, 2 in July and 2 in Oct.

Dave

I was hoping for a 6 or 7 night as well... it would be easier for me to talk DH into a longer cruise leaving from here.... meaning not driving down to the other ports.

Even more 5 nights with different ports!

I was hoping to find some decent ports within range of JAX, maybe Bermuda or something of the like, but it would require 2+ sea days in each direction at 18 knots. Not the best choice for a 5-night itinerary.The same goes for the St. Thomas and St. Maarten, they are really just out of range of Jacksonville, even to squeeze three ports of out of a 7-night itinerary.

This is what I came up with for a possible 7-night itinerary using my good old friend the great circle mapper.

Day 1 - Depart Jacksonville

Day 2 - Day at Sea

Day 3 - Day at Sea

Day 4 - Grand Turk / Samana, DR (San Juan is out of range)

Day 5 - Ocho Rios / Montego Bay, Jamaica

Day 5 - Day at Sea

Day 6 - Key West / Nassau / Freeport / Half Moon Cay

Day 7 - Day at Sea

Day 8 - Arrive in Jacksonville

I was talking today with someone in my office about the possibility of having more cruise ships with the new port. I was thinking it would help out our economy here in Jacksonville. There could have been jobs in building the the new terminal and employing people to work there. I'm disappointed.:(

That was a great reply Stef, nothing out of the way....You spoke what was on your mind.....Bravo;)

Thanks.... Sometimes I say and do things without thinking it out... lol... I haven't gone back to look at the comments since last night. It just makes me mad reading it!

I just sent an email to a friend of mine at Carnival regarding Jaxport and what he thinks may be in store for Carnival in the near future.

I'll let y'all know as soon as I hear something...

Thanks Mach! That's great... I really appreciate it! :D

I was hoping to find some decent ports within range of JAX, maybe Bermuda or something of the like, but it would require 2+ sea days in each direction at 18 knots. Not the best choice for a 5-night itinerary.The same goes for the St. Thomas and St. Maarten, they are really just out of range of Jacksonville, even to squeeze three ports of out of a 7-night itinerary.

This is what I came up with for a possible 7-night itinerary using my good old friend the great circle mapper.

Day 1 - Depart Jacksonville

Day 2 - Day at Sea

Day 3 - Day at Sea

Day 4 - Grand Turk / Samana, DR (San Juan is out of range)

Day 5 - Ocho Rios / Montego Bay, Jamaica

Day 5 - Day at Sea

Day 6 - Key West / Nassau / Freeport / Half Moon Cay

Day 7 - Day at Sea

Day 8 - Arrive in Jacksonville

Wow.... what I was thinking was way wrong then. I guess having the right tools is key!

Thanks for looking that up! It was very sweet of you! :D

I like the proposed 7-day itineraries -- let's hope someone with authority at Carnival sees them also and brings them forward. First Coast News this morning said the area could have seen 5,000 new jobs and over $400 million in revenue annually with the new port. I feel the Mayport citizens are pretty selfish:mad:

Not only Carnival but we could get the other lines too! Bigger ships. That's the biggest class that can fit under the Dames Point Bridge!

I just can't get over the girl commenting that cruise ships brings crime! And Filth?!? Maybe a little smoke from the funnel but it's not like we don't have ANY smog problems already!

Mayport is NOT attractive at all. I think it would improve it.

At least JaxPort owns that land already. I hope something happens and we get the port afterall.

With the cruise industry sure to see some declines in the next year or two, this is probably a wise move, even if residents find it disappointing. You don't want your city to build an expensive cruise port only to see it go unused.

With the cruise industry sure to see some declines in the next year or two, this is probably a wise move, even if residents find it disappointing. You don't want your city to build an expensive cruise port only to see it go unused.

cough*Houston*cough

cough*Houston*cough

That's very true (with the economy, trying to build a cruise terminal that will go underused like Houston). However in Jacksonville's case, the new cruise terminal wouldn't be competing with the current Jaxport facility, but it would be replacing it (unlike Houston, which competes directly with the Galveston facilities).

I would love to see better facilities in Jacksonville. Living in Atlanta, my two closest ports are Mobile and Jacksonville. Mobile did a wonderful job of building a modern but appropriately sized cruise terminal smack in the middle of the city. It was an absolute pleasure to cruise from there.

I haven't cruised from Jacksonville, but I did have a chance to check out the facilities, and the terminal looks like this temporary afterthought hidden from everything. Not a "world class" facility that would attract a lot of cruise lines if you ask me....

Archived