Carnival LEGEND questions!

BrookeLH2

Hi!! We are departing from Tampa on the Carnival Legend on Sunday, May 3, 2009. It will be going to Grand Caymen, Cozumel, Belize, and Isla Roatan. We're a 25 year old couple from Chicago and this is our first cruise, so we had some questions and were hoping for suggestions and input from anyone!

1. How formal are the "formal nights" on the Legend? As in, do I really need to unearth an old bridesmaid dress of mine and does my boyfriend need to bring a suit/rent a tux? I understand that some people do get extremely dressed up, but is it REALLY necessary? In other words, will we be very out of place in a nice sundress (me) and khakis and a long sleeved button down (him)?

2. How long does the process of getting onto the ship actually take? I know that we're supposed to be at the port no shorter than an hour or two before embarkation, but how early is too early? We will be in Tampa the day before, so we're not sure when to actually head out to the port. Any tips to make the process any quicker/smoother?

3. We will be staying in a balcony room on the 6th floor. Does anyone have any experience with this floor? (i.e. is it high enough to not feel too much rocking and low enough to not hear any motor noise?)

Thanks for any suggestions!!!

Brooke and Mike in Chicago:cool:

Hi!! We are departing from Tampa on the Carnival Legend on Sunday, May 3, 2009. It will be going to Grand Caymen, Cozumel, Belize, and Isla Roatan. We're a 25 year old couple from Chicago and this is our first cruise, so we had some questions and were hoping for suggestions and input from anyone!

1. How formal are the "formal nights" on the Legend? As in, do I really need to unearth an old bridesmaid dress of mine and does my boyfriend need to bring a suit/rent a tux? I understand that some people do get extremely dressed up, but is it REALLY necessary? In other words, will we be very out of place in a nice sundress (me) and khakis and a long sleeved button down (him)?

Don't need to wear a brides maids dress but dressing up is nice in something you feel dressy in. BF can do a jacket to a tux. Whatever he feels comfortable in. Todays rules for formal night are called casual elegant so he doesn't even need to wear a jacket.

2. How long does the process of getting onto the ship actually take? I know that we're supposed to be at the port no shorter than an hour or two before embarkation, but how early is too early? We will be in Tampa the day before, so we're not sure when to actually head out to the port. Any tips to make the process any quicker/smoother?

I live in Tampa s you might haved noticed. I get there at 11:00 and usually I am on the ship by 11:45.....;)

3. We will be staying in a balcony room on the 6th floor. Does anyone have any experience with this floor? (i.e. is it high enough to not feel too much rocking and low enough to not hear any motor noise?)

Have had a cabin like that on deck six on the Miracle. Same ship different name. The higher you go the more you feel the motion. Deck six wasn't bad but you can still feel some good motion at times. it is a good deck though becaus it is only a couple decks up and a couple of decks down to get to all the fun things....

have a fun cruise....

We've done the Legend twice...love that ship and the itinerary! There are people who wear tuxes and formal gowns all the way to people who aren't aware that there is a formal night. So do what you feel comfortable with. My husband owns a tux...but he isn't interested in trying to include it in his cruise packing.... nor does he want to spend money renting a tux (although I can understand any of this if this is a special occasion and you want some great pictures!) So I bring a non floor length dress that is strapless that can pose as "formal" and my husband wears a sports coat. But the point is you will not feel uncomfortable whatever you decide. There are couples in tuxes and long gowns and there are couples in sun dresses and golf shirts.

Regarding the movement of the ship....that's hard to say since you have nothing to compare it to. I love to sail and there is no "motion" that I find upsetting. Are you going to spend a lot of time in your cabin? If you are only in it to sleep then the "motion" probably won't affect you too much. Otherwise, if you think it might, then you can try the wrist bands, or the ginger pills....but if your experience is anything like my first cruise...you will have an absolutely wonderful time and sleep like a baby.

Question 1 - I agree with jessemon. Most people we see on elegant night (most recent just this past Jan.) are dressed in cocktail dresses - gowns. Men are most commonly in a suit - some a tux - some a jacket, very few in just a button down shirt like you have described. We head out on the Legend (same itinerary) on March 22. Can post after to give you an update on what we saw.

Question 2: 11:00 is a great idea - on board sooner rather than later.

Question 3: If you will notice the motion (I do), you'll likely feel it every where. Many report that being mid-ship as low as possible is best. If the ship is moving though - I feel it anywhere (just pack seasickness meds).

We are on the same cruise as you...I cant wait. This will be our 3rd cruise. We are on deck 5. I agree with what the others said about formal (elegant) nights. A jacket and tie are always nice for the men, but they can just do a button down shirt( whatever makes him comfy) and cocktail type dresses for women seem popular too. We usually get to the port around 11ish as well. I have never experienced sea sickness, but have heard the ginger pills are awesome. Have a great 1st cruise, you will be addicted and want to book another as soon as you get home..lol

On Carnival seven day cruises I've noticed about 10%-20% of gentlemen wear tuxedos on formal nights. The middle 60%-70% wear suits or sport coats. The other 10$-20% wear long pants and a shirt (However, it seems to me the long pants and a shirt are the same attire you would wear on casual night).

The point is to be comfortable with yourself. It's your cruise. If your BF is not comfortable wearing a jacket, don't make him wear one.

My suggestion for boarding the ship. . . if you're in town and have nothing else to do, get there ar 11:00 and be one of the first on board! Bring a swim suite in your carry-on so you can change and enjoy the pool while everyone else gets on board.

OR, treat Tampa like a stop on the cruise! Drop off you luggage to the porters at the cruise terminal -- then have fun!

Spend some time next door at the Florida Aquarium, or shop and dine at the Channelside Mall. Take the 5 minute trolley ride to Ybor City for authentuic Cuban American food. Visit Gameworks and play some of the newest cool adult video games! Maybe catch a ride to Busch Gardens -- home to amazing animal shows and roller coasters!

Just be back on board by 3:30!

Last summer on Legend most men wore shirt and ties without jackets. You will be fine with what you describe. Be aware that others will be dressed the same, some will be dressier and some will be not as dressy.

The time it takes to get on the ship depends to a large degree when you arrive. Boarding starts around 11:30. You can arrive as early as 10:00 or so. There is a rush at first, and then it is a steady process until departure. It is normally no more than 30 minutes, unless you are real early and have to wait for boarding to start.

You can have motion anywhere on the ship. We usually stay on deck seven which is very quiet. If it is rocky then you are going to feel the motion, if it is smooth then you will not feel much of anything. You have cabins above and below you so you should not have much noise unless it is from rowdy passengers.

Hope that the above helps.

Archived